chikungunya- cant find the answer to this question

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
how long are you able to transmit the disease to others or will you always be able to once you have it.

Do I now have to avoid all human contact

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
But you can?t transmit it, only mosquitoes can.
But you can transmit ebola and mosquitoes can?t

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Prevention | Chikungunya virus | CDC

•During the first week of infection, chikungunya virus can be found in the blood and passed from an infected person to another mosquito through mosquito bites. An infected mosquito can then transmit the virus to other people.
•To prevent further spread of the virus, it is important for people to avoid mosquito bites during the first week of illness.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This is a valid question which I wondered as well...I understand that once you've had the virus it's in your blood for life, so the question is if it's only transmittable during the first week of infection or if a mosquito bites a person who has had it in the past and then bites another person could that new person get infected...it is not clear what happens in that situation.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i guess if you were infectious for life there would be a lot more cases, I went out today and felt a bit guilty in case I was spreading a plague - I had to get soup

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
Been dealing with this virus since April - returned to Canada April 4. I have a number of chronic conditions. Osteo-arthritis-cramping in joints and muscles started subsiding in August and now only have them occasionally. Still dealing with bowel problems. Testing ruled out any bacteria or parasitical infection. Could be an exacerbation of an already existing condition - irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or it could be old person's (mitochondrial) colitis. Finally have everything under control BUT CAN I CONTRACT THE VIRUS AGAIN IF I'M BITTEN AGAIN BY A VIRUS CARRYING MOSQUITO? Searched Google for an answer but it seems no one has asked the question.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my understanding is that you are immune for life after being infected...

No.... you cannot pass it on.....just the little buzz bombs have that privilege/responsibility/honour

white footed mosquito... watch for it ---- and it is BIG