Laborers inside make more than three times the country's minimum wage

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Can You Make Clothes Without Sweatshop Labor? This Dominican Factory Is Trying

Somewhere in the south-central Dominican Republic, on a stretch of land in a town called Villa Altagracia, sits a unique little clothing factory. The unassuming building, with its white walls and gable roof, houses a grand experiment.

The laborers inside make more than three times the country's minimum wage. Workplace safety standards are high, and the plant is monitored regularly by an independent labor-rights group with unfettered access. The workers are making clothes for Alta Gracia, a collegiate-apparel brand trying to prove that garment factories don't have to force laborers to work endless hours in sweatshop conditions for rock-bottom wages. The brand can still make a profit even if it pays workers a living wage -- that's the theory, anyway.

For years, apparel companies have hopscotched the world in a perpetual quest to chase cheap labor and keep costs down. Conventional wisdom would assume Alta Gracia is doomed to be crushed by cheaper competition. But four years after its inception, Alta Gracia's business is "proving to be viable," according to a new report from researchers at Georgetown University.

The factory is a godsend to labor-rights activists, who have long ached for hard proof that you don't have to exploit workers to turn a profit.

"If we can get every factory in the industry to be like this, I would retire," Scott Nova, executive director of the Worker Rights Consortium, the rights group that monitors the Alta Gracia factory, told The Huffington Post. "There would be very little left for labor-rights activists to do in the garment sector."

Owned by South Carolina-based Knights Apparel, one of the top licensees of college-logo apparel in America, Alta Gracia raked in about $11 million in sales in 2013 with its assortment of college-branded sweatshirts and T-shirts. Now sold at more than 800 college campuses across the U.S., the brand expects to hit $16 million in sales this year, though it's still just a tiny part of the $4.6 billion college-licensed merchandise market.

Joe Bozich, chief executive of Knights Apparel, said in an interview with HuffPost that the factory is on track to break even this year. He expects it to be profitable for the first time in 2015 and is "absolutely convinced" that Alta Gracia will keep growing.

"It is working," said Bozich. "Four years ago, when we started this, nobody knew. Nobody's ever tried what we're doing with an apparel factory."

According to the Georgetown report, Alta Gracia is "transitioning from a fragile startup to a stable firm." Thus far, the brand has been held back by a lack of marketing, said Georgetown professor John Kline, a co-author of the report. Early on, as an unknown name, Alta Gracia relied on colleges to take a leap of faith.

The first college to jump on board was Duke University, which started selling Alta Gracia clothes in the fall of 2010. Before the factory opened, Duke committed to an opening order of about $500,000 at retail. Fortunately, it worked out.

"We stuck our necks out and we're still breathing," said Jim Wilkerson, director of trademark licensing and stores operations at Duke, who added that he plans to continue to do business with Alta Gracia. The college has sold about $1.62 million worth of Alta Gracia merchandise since 2010, and the brand now accounts for about 7 percent of Duke's total clothing revenues.

Bozich has ambitious plans for Alta Gracia. He wants to hire more people at the Dominican Republic factory, then duplicate the model in other countries like Haiti and Bangladesh. He has his eye on professional sports, having recently signed a deal with the National Hockey League, and sees an opportunity to get into corporate apparel and uniforms.

"Consumer demand will dictate how big this becomes," said Bozich. "The real question becomes, as we expand into professional sports apparel, that'll be our first test ... Will they want to buy it?"

The factory workers certainly hope so.

Maritza Vargas, a 49-year-old union leader with 25 years of experience working in local factories, works a variety of jobs at the Alta Gracia factory, including sewing seams on sweatshirts and putting on labels. A regular day at the factory is nothing like what she's experienced before, she told HuffPost. Vargas and her 150 or so colleagues are unionized. They're not forced to work absurd hours, her overtime paychecks don't disappear into the ether and she gets frequent breaks.

"It's as simple as understanding that we're human beings, not machines," Vargas said through a translator.

In free-trade zones of the Dominican Republic, the minimum monthly wage is set at RD $7,200, or about $165 in U.S. dollars. Alta Gracia factory workers earn a monthly wage of RD $22,342, or about $514 U.S., according to numbers provided by the company's plant manager.

36-year-old Sobeida Fortuna, who has worked in free-trade-zone garment factories for about 18 years, said she's finally being treated with "respect" and "dignity" after getting her job at Alta Gracia.

"They would force me to work mandatory overtime hours," she said of previous employers. "I'd work in uncomfortable chairs and positions. They would control my every movement, even monitor the times I used the bathroom or drink water."

Still, these people need somewhere to work. Fortuna paused to think when asked what she'd be doing if she didn't have her Alta Gracia factory job.

"We'd maybe be unemployed," she said. "We'd maybe be working three hours away from home. We'd maybe be working at another factory with the same conditions as the previous factories. We work in those conditions because it's all that's around and we have a family. We have no other choice."

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article misstated the minimum monthly wage in free-trade zones of the Dominican Republic, as well as the monthly wage that Alta Gracia factory workers earn.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Personally, I like this story. I know making a fortune off or the misery of others has been the norm in textiles abroad. Maybe people who purchase lots of textiles will look at this success story and stop buying from the sweatshops. Im not into slave labor on any level this day and age.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
we talked about it few years ago. hated it back then, hate it just the same now.
http://dr1.com/forums/living/104722-capitalism-heart.html

You may hate it, but lots of folks love the thought of "socially conscious investment"

"Over the last two years, SRI investing has grown by more than 22% to $3.74 trillion in total managed assets, suggesting that investors are investing with their heart, as well as their head. In fact, about $1 of every $9 under professional management in the U.S. can be classified as an SRI investment."

Socially Responsible Investing: What You Need To Know - Forbes

The indices indicate that investing with a social conscience can actually prove profitable.. Socially Responsible Investing can outperform the S&P 500 | Spring Water Asset Management | Investing Your Values!

(although how McDonald's got on the list, one has to wonder.. ok. they do not produce alcohol, tobacco, or firearms which are the top three screens for SRI funds.. Every fund has its own screens and one has to look at these individually)

Also, just as some people prefer, and will pay more for "certified organic" food, others will pay more.. (and many times do not have to) for clothing that meets some basic labor standards.. (no child or forced labor, right to organize, living wage..http://www.fairwear.org/ul/cms/fck-uploaded/documents/companies/FWFdocs/fwfcodeoflabourpractices.pdf

The list of companies which meet the standards is small.. but appears to be a growing "niche" market

Brands - Fair Wear Foundation

the clothing industry fair trade business is still small Green America: Fair Trade: Where to Buy

evidently this form of doing business is paying off for many.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
A problem with this as a model for the future is the clothing industry is on the edge of robotic automation that would produce at a cost that even low wage labor can't compete with.
http://http://www.softwearautomation.com
This will shift the advantage to returning clothing production back to developed economies close to markets, cutting current shipping costs and lead times and the resulting inventory carrying costs. A few years further out it's also set up for bespoke automated production. Precisely tailored custom fit clothes with 24 hr turn around and no inventory at the price of off the rack.

This sort of low skill mass production for export has no future anywhere in the world. Seeking better wages and working conditions in a vanishing industry won't achieve much.

Macro economic policy discussion is going to have to deal with a world where there are very few traditional jobs that will need people. That also includes doctors, lawyers, and most other educated folk.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
If socially conscious investing is pitched toward people as just a way of avoiding investing in exploitive sweatshops, it's going to be easier to ease consciences by getting rid of the human labor altogether.

A slightly different spin though that I think may apply is for fair wear and fair trade to emphasize creatively hand made original products rather than machine made products where the workers are better paid and treated.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Good observations, Manzana. And it will be wonderful for America if a least the two remaining automated plant jobs return to South or North Carolina! (last time I felt really heart sick .. along with my two friends, was when we saw a robot collecting the carts, or pushing them outside a Target's// we all stopped and said.. AH, another job gone.. but time marches on.)

There will still be a niche market for many of these products which are geared, many of them, to lifting the developing world out of poverty, and are small cottage industries, not mass produced but rather made by women working at home.

I myself have the pleasure of owning several pieces made in India by one such group. https://www.marketplaceindia.com/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The USA has Detroit as an example of what happens when factories do not automate. But then, Detroit would probably still be bankrupt even if the factories did automate. Such factories simply don't need many low skilled laborers. And neither will the clothing factories of the future. My mother worked a sewing job, paid by the piece. New York state became too expensive to do business and the jobs moved south, then to off-shore as we all know. Fortunately she was at the end of her career when the jobs left. Not fortunate for those who still live in my home town, which became a mini-Detroit.

The OP is at story about a place that found a (temporary) niche in a marketplace that China and others have not deemed fit to sell into, or the buyer is happy to pay higher prices due to their "social consciousness". It makes us feel good, but this is unfortunately not a widely reproducible model.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I love equality as much as the next liberally minded person...but can anyone tell me a time in history when there were the "Haves...and the Have Nots"??

Aug 6, 2006
I do not understand why people who live on far more than the modest RD $22,000 pesos (US$ 514) a month complain about women actually making this amount. No one can raise even one child in any decent manner in the DR on RD$7200(US $168) a month. The sort of sports fan clothing is very expensive in the US, they can easily make a large profit and pay these women a decent wage.It also means that they will have less turnover and probably higher productivity.

US$514 per month would be US$ 3.12 per hour. That is hardly an unseemly amount for a trained seamstress.
RD $7200 per month would be $168 or $1.05 an hour. Assuming that they work 40 hours per week.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Everybody ?HATES? Walmart, UNTIL something they want goes on SALE!!!!!!
I have a friend who is a Die Hard Steam Fitter's Union member.
He HATES WALMART, yet bought a TV he wanted there!!!!!!
Talk is CHEAP!
So are Walmart's prices!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC