AMET will stop vehicles with tinted windows

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The short version of the Diario Libre story on DR1 seemed confusing. It says something like "windows cannot be tinted, except the front window." ????? But the story in Diario Libre actually says:

"According to that resolution, number 1123-2014, vehicle owners can use tinted side and rear windows, provided these do not affect the overall visibility inside."

This is better. I thought everybody was going to have to un-tint their windows?!!?

Although, the "provided these do not affect the overall visibility inside" will make for some really bad conversations. Crazy. But officer, you can see inside. No, I can't. Yes you can. Come here....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I thought you could tint all windows other than the front. That is usually so that the police can see you should you be pulled over, and you can't just roll up and stick a gun out of the window at burger king. But you can only tint to a certain grade, that's the same in Europe. I doubt very much any of this is or will be enforced.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I thought you could tint all windows other than the front. That is usually so that the police can see you should you be pulled over. But you can only tint to a certain grade, that's the same in Europe. I doubt very much any of this is or will be enforced.

most windshields have a certain degree of tint.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Right. Very standard in U.S. too for windows to be tinted from the factory. The law says the percentage of tint allowed, probably varies by state. But I don't remember what it is. And, here I have seen people with the front tinted very dark too. I do not think I want to see what is inside : )

The U.S. standards are relevant to the DR because so many cars are imported from there.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
No, it is the level of tint in the Additional film that is applied. No standard front windshield will be illegal that is legal in the USA. For sure! You might find a modified import that is not legal but not standard. Even then I doubt it very much.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
they got some heavy tints in d.r. cant see in....
i had mine done -----for the ladies....

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Years ago, maybe 2 years, AMET stopped me in santiago and I got a fine for tinted windows. Never paid, thought it was a scam at first.
True my 2 front windows are very dark, u cant see in. 2 back windows are black. And windscreen is tinted lighter but still quite dark, hard to see in.
But that is how I bought my car so what can I do about it ?? Pay to un-tint them.?? Yeah right......

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Haitians Inside

they got some heavy tints in d.r. cant see in....
i had mine done -----for the ladies....

Hmm, the more tinted your windows are, the more all inside look like Haitians....
Is that good? :cross-eye

donP

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The law is for the windshield only, they don't allow any type of non factory tinting. I was stopped in Sosua numerous times, Santo Domingo once, and even in Barahona. I got fined twice and the other times that I got away I started speaking Russian to the AMET and they let me go with a stern warning.....After I took the tinting off the windshield, no problemo......you can't see through the side or the back of the car, but that's ok as long as the WINDSHIELD is untinted.....
That being said, the guys with the stripe tinting with a little untinted windshield left is highly illegal in the eyes of AMET......

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I expect the tints across the top of the screen are legal, but obviously not down the sides. Every cab, PN vehicle, lorry, infact EVERY car has them and so.............................................. I have them and never had an issue when been stopped, and boy have I been stopped.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Oddly enough the most vehicles sporting this dark tint are the government officials...go figure!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We were stopped at Sadhala & Argentina in Santiago for window tint on the windshield this morning.

AMET were stopping all dark tinted window cars.

We were told we have 30 days to comply with the law: no tint on windshield, period, except for a narrow top strip. The other windows were fine: dark, but not blacked out.

The head guy in charge was putting license plate numbers into a notebook computer. That was a new one. AMET & technology.

Seems December 1 will be when the hammer drops. I don't know what the fine and penalty will be.

Just a warning.

We had the tint taken off the windshield this afternoon.

FWIW, the agents were nice, polite, friendly, clean cut, spiffily dressed and very professional.