Ebola and The Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
[video=youtube;aFKwQt2KaOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFKwQt2KaOU[/video]

There's no question about Ebola as the new killer spreading around the world out of Africa.

For the DR the question is not if, but how soon will it get here and settle in.

Are we prepared? How can you prepare for something that there's not a single effective treatment to this date?

Can we deal with an Ebola outbreak and still function as an economy? Highly doubtful.

The only way to halt Ebola from spreading to the western hemisphere, is to ban all direct flights from African/European/Asian or Australian destinations. Save for western hemisphere (read Continental America) direct travel, not a single person should be allowed into our region without undergoing a full quarantine check point.

Will this be done? Not a chance in hell, as the travel industry will be all over politicians if they tried it.

Africa keeps sh*tting all over the world... What's going to be next?!!?

We got a good glimpse to what we are prepared for incoming known carriers of Ebola, but how about the ones that don't show the symptoms and will be allowed in?

Being in a first world country with the best of healthcare or a backwaters country will not make much difference at all come Ebola. The first ones to abandon their posts in the first world health care centers will be the staff, once their comrades start falling ill from "broken" protocols.

It's only a matter of some time when Ebola mutates to become airborne, enough to spread by simple coughs of carriers in a room.

So there it goes the DR's tourism sector and pretty much the economy grinds to a halt.

By the time Ebola spreads worldwide long enough, it will wipe out about 50% of the entire world's population. It will become endemic everywhere.

For the DR, Haiti is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig problem given the Ebola factor. Cholera has shown us the future of things if the border remains open and as porous as always.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Emerging diseases coming out of Asia are a greater concern than known diseases from Africa. While the hemorrhagic fevers are horrid diseases with high mortality rates they tend to kill quickly. After about a week from exposure the person is usually too sick to travel or go anywhere without assistance.

The various incarnations of the bird flu that seem to originate in China and that region are highly contagious and have a much longer incubation period during which a carrier can infect others.

You can prevent yourself from catching Ebola - Stay away from sick people. It's that simple. Do not go to a hospital, do not go to the Doctor. Have enough canned food and supplies and water on hand to feed and provide for your other needs for three months. Stay away from the grocery stores, bars, theaters and any other place where people congregate.

Ebola is a scary disease, but one of the easier ones for an individual to deal with. Now if it mutates and goes full blown airborne, then we have a real problem. No country in the world is prepared to deal with a full on Ebola outbreak. There aren't enough doctors, hospital beds, medicines, or mortuary facilities. The DR like the rest of the third world we see a mortality rate of 50-70 percent of those infected with probably about 50% infection rate with the cities being the most densely affected.

Ebola is worrisome, but a deadly Flu is down right terrifying.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
How can you prepare for something that there's not a single effective treatment to this date?

Beans and Bullets - And that's not to be flippant. You need to be able to get away from everybody, out in the country with your family. And have enough food to hopefully get thru it. And you'll need the bullets to protect your family and your stockpile of food. There is no other protection.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's not just touching the bodies. In countries where most die at home either because there are no medical facilitates available, culture or poverty, here is a cleanup problem. Ebola infected people are leaking all sorts of bodily fluids, on the bed, linen, the floor and everything they touch. When a person dies, their muscles relax and they evacuate out of every orifice.

Someone has to clean all this stuff up. At home it is usually a family member and if they are't encased in a hazmat suit, they infect themselves and the process repeats itself until there are no more family members left. I know that in Haiti and the DR bodies are often laid out (usually at home) for mourners to see and pay their respect. I would expect there is some touching going on.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I really hate these scare articles..we had it several years ago with the cholera problem . For most people in the world it is almost impossible to come in contact with the ebola virus.. It is not airborne and is confined to three or four un educated western african countries with appalling living and medical conditions and as well some health workers have returned from these countries with ebola .In those countries the people follow traditional practices and so the disease spreads . The disease is spread theough body fluids ,,blood and saliva .urine etc . if an infected person has infected an object such as a toothbrush,or a toilet bowl or a walking stick,the virus does not live for long on that object. The chances of ebola reaching the DR are very low..we have no direct flights to Africa or to Asia or to to the Middle east . For the disease to come here ,an afected person must go through a secondary African country with screeing and then through either Paris ,Madrid or Gatwick and then through the DR and be undetected in all the transits .
The biggest challenge is to simply educate the people in the affected countries so the disease can be wiped out ..

donP

Dec 14, 2008
It is not that simple.

(...) For most people in the world it is almost impossible to come in contact with the ebola virus.. It is not airborne and is confined to three or four un educated western african countries with appalling living and medical conditions and as well some health workers have returned from these countries with ebola .In those countries the people follow traditional practices and so the disease spreads . The disease is spread theough body fluids ,,blood and saliva .urine etc . if an infected person has infected an object such as a toothbrush,or a toilet bowl or a walking stick,the virus does not live for long on that object. The chances of ebola reaching the DR are very low..we have no direct flights to Africa or to Asia or to to the Middle east . For the disease to come here ,an afected person must go through a secondary African country with screeing and then through either Paris ,Madrid or Gatwick and then through the DR and be undetected in all the transits .
The biggest challenge is to simply educate the people in the affected countries so the disease can be wiped out ..

Hmm, to me it seems you are a victim of those reassuring press articles and the 'body fluid' saga and thus you are not able to grasp the complexity and global threat of ebola...

donP

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Best way to control the Ebola virus ? Put all the countries with infected people on "Lock-down" !! No one goes in or out !! Plain and simple. The virus will die eventualy without spreading around the world... Why do complicated when you can do SIMPLE ???

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Simple Genius

Best way to control the Ebola virus ? Put all the countries with infected people on "Lock-down" !! No one goes in or out !! Plain and simple. The virus will die eventualy without spreading around the world... Why do complicated when you can do SIMPLE ???

You are a real genius. :classic:

donP

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
You mention "educated african countries" Do you realize that the literacy rate in the affected countries is around 32%? so, educating a semi literate peoples to to eliminate a cultural practice will be a tall order. Were speaking of people who may be afraid to visit a hospital. Also., screening people on connecting flights may be useless, especially if the passenger may be asymptomatic. the best course may be to let it run it's course.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
charlise,

Under a no one in/out plan, sure all the people will die and the human to human transmission will stop for the time being because all of the susceptible people will be dead. Remember, this disease lives in other host vectors just fine be they monkeys, bats or whatever. It will only be a matter of time before such a vector migrates to another human population and another outbreak begins.

But for sure we need to control the movement of people to prevent disease spread. Just think how you would behave if you woke up this morning and on the radio you were informed that you *must* stay in your house, go no where, have no visitors and conduct no commerce for an indeterminate amount of time.

People tend to act in their own self interest and the betterment of others be damned. Unless you are prepared to shoot people who fail to heed quarantine instructions, then the controlling the movement of people is all but impossible.

In Africa as here in the DR the borders are long and for the most part unmanned/monitored. Those who wish to cross need only head away from a border crossing a few kilometers and then simply walk across to a neighboring country. Your plan requires "martial law" to be applied with brutal efficiency and determination. The very concept in the first world would be seen as scandalous and a call to revolution for those who do not believe, or trust authority. Freedom is an individual concept and individuals rarely sacrifice their own priorities for those of the neighborhood, state/province/country or heaven forbid another group of people on the other side of the planet.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

May it be that u watch too much TV ??? ( and perhaps ure set is bl8cked on Fox.....).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Some think it s genius while others....

It s just impossible (by the way, id you had any knowlege of the area it would be obvious).

Plain and Simple.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Never watch Fox... but Yes I love TV....
I know the general geography of the infected areas... I did not say to lock-down whole Africa.... Infected countries to contain the virus... That would give time to the laboratories and CDC to work on a cure or vaccine.

And when the safety and health of the whole planet is at stake, honestly, I don't care if a couple of civil liberties, human rights or business deals are screwed.... Desperate times call for desperate measures... It's only a question of self-preservation and survival instinct.... I would put my own mother in lock-down if it would save my kid's life....

A bon entendeur, salut.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Never watch Fox... but Yes I love TV....
I know the general geography of the infected areas... I did not say to lock-down whole Africa.... Infected countries to contain the virus... That would give time to the laboratories and CDC to work on a cure or vaccine.

And when the safety and health of the whole planet is at stake, honestly, I don't care if a couple of civil liberties, human rights or business deals are screwed.... Desperate times call for desperate measures... It's only a question of self-preservation and survival instinct.... I would put my own mother in lock-down if it would save my kid's life....

A bon entendeur, salut.

Again, just impossible. It is easy to go from one country to another in West Africa.

There is a host of dual citizens, you mean to tell me that they wouldn't be able to live the country. A lot of Chinese working in West Africa ? stuck as well ? Journalists ? lock them out ?

To be able to work on a cure and control the epidemic, these countries need foreign aid and health workers, no way around it. It would be 100 times worse if they hadn't.

Certainly, movement should be monitored closely (especially air travel).

No, go lock your mother, salut :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They Know How

I know the general geography of the infected areas...

Sorry, that is not enough.
You need to know that drugs, prostitute trafficking and asylum seekers have always found a way from West Africa (and other countries as well, of course) to finally get to whatever country they want to.

It may not be easy at times, but they know how to do it.... :cool:

donP

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
From an earlier post in another thread, but the topic here is more on the money.

Read about the origins and spread of HIV in the Americas

. . . Subtype B, which accounts for the great majority of HIV-1 infections in Europe and the Americas, arose from a single African strain that appears to have first spread to Haiti in the 1960s and then onward to the US and other western countries . . .

Scientists now map the spread of HIV to the Americas through Haitian "migrant workers" (UN, NGOs) in West Africa (Congo at the time). Ah! The U.N. Using Haitians to get their do-good numbers up in Africa. First HIV, then Cholera, now Ebola?

I'm not knocking Haiti. But factual history shows it's happened before that Haiti was the conduit, simply because, as Gen. Kelly and others say, the least developed countries spread it the fastest, and because the NGOs use Haitians as chips in their do-good games.

How's that Haitian border porosity look to you now, fusionistas?

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
From an earlier post in another thread, but the topic here is more on the money.

Read about the origins and spread of HIV in the Americas.Origins of HIV and the AIDS Pandemic

. . . Subtype B, which accounts for the great majority of HIV-1 infections in Europe and the Americas, arose from a single African strain that appears to have first spread to Haiti in the 1960s and then onward to the US and other western countries . . .

Scientists now map the spread of HIV to the Americas through Haitian "migrant workers" (UN, NGOs) in West Africa (Congo at the time). Ah! The U.N. Using Haitians to get their do-good numbers up in Africa. First HIV, then Cholera, now Ebola?

I'm not knocking Haiti. But factual history shows it's happened before that Haiti was the conduit, simply because, as Gen. Kelly and others say, the least developed countries spread it the fastest, and because the NGOs use Haitians as chips in their do-good games.

How's that Haitian border porosity look to you now, fusionistas?

Are you aware that we talking about Ebola, nearly 50 years later ?

Just sayin'

In any case: http://news.yahoo.com/haiti-bans-citizens-un-mission-against-ebola-224834000.html

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The Spanish Flu spread by American troops from Kansas killed 50 million people worldwide during WWI. Sometimes little can be done to prevent diseases from spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.