Can I rent a car for someone else?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I wasn't sure but I didn't think I could as when I have rented I have always had to have the same card as I booked it with. Does anyone know a company that I will be able to rent and pay for a car to be used in someone else?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In a nutshell, no.

You can rent a car and list a second driver. You will still need to sign the contract, and pick up the car but then you can give it to whomever the second driver is.

If you are trying to rent a car for someone who is not in the same city as you, then the simple answer is no. You may be able to have the person rent the car themselves and offer your credit card as a guarantee of payment if they don't have one of their own.

In either of the above scenarios, you remain responsible for the vehicle and if it gets totaled, you just bought it.

Since this is DR1 we must be talking about renting a car in the DR. For enough cash, you can probably do anything you want. Might be cheaper to buy this person a second hand car though.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Can someone clarify the reasons for this for me. Fraudulent use of others cards I guess would be the reason no? I'll try and think a way around this once I know exactly why this is usually not possible.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
I think the two most viable options are: 1) rent the car with them listed as a second driver; 2) have them rent the car with their D/L and card, transfer money to them to cover the cost.

Hertz will allow you to pre-pay in the states, but I have never seen that option here. Regardless, the driver still needs to be on the agreement.

You really don't want a car out there, in the possession of someone else, that only you are responsible for.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
That's exactly why I want to rent a car for them, so they are not driving mine.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sounds like the 2nd driver option is what you want if the "they rent" you reimburse them option is not possible. Ideally you want to provide access to a vehicle without any of the liability if possible. This is the DR and anyone who isn't experienced driving here is driving at a disadvantage.