Casa de Cambio cheque cashing CDN $

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Anyone have any recent luck cashing a personal cheque drawn on a Canadian bank, in Canadian $ ? The guy we used in the past in Sosua will no longer do this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THe rate stinks.... everything stinks..... use your ATM card.....

never a good deal or easy deal for the Loonie.... not a popular currency to trade

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
ATM is fine for day - to - day but not practical if you're buying a car or making some other LARGE purchase. And the rate we used to get from the Casa de Cambio was pretty much the same as Scotiabank.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I use Scotia Cdn and RD.... buy US $$ in Canada and send them to Scotia RD

Buying a car ? wire the US$$$ direct to the dealer - is what I did

you can send Cdn $$ to an RD peso acount.... it will be converted fairly

als1962

Oct 13, 2014
Cashing a CAD cheque I can see where that would be tough, but cashing CAD for RD is not that bad as far as exchange rates go. I got a rate of 38.12 at Scotia Bank yesterday, which works out to about the same is I would have purchased USD in Canada at a
1.8-2.0% premium and the cashed them here for RD. You do not get screwed as bad as everyone makes it out to be in fact I
think that I am about 1.5% ahead by not buying the USD first

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Does anyone have a recommended casa de cambio who will cash a corporate draft cheque made in the name of a company that I own? what's required and the hold time?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Does anyone have a recommended casa de cambio who will cash a corporate draft cheque made in the name of a company that I own? what's required and the hold time?

Getting a check cashed is sometimes all about who introduces you to the cambista. I had a check for tens of thousands of dollars, made payable to a Dominican for a project, that he could not cash. I called my cambista, explained the situation, and the check was cashed in thirty minutes.

If you want pesos for the check, you'll get the prevailing rate. If you want dollars, there is a 1% charge.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Getting a check cashed is sometimes all about who introduces you to the cambista. I had a check for tens of thousands of dollars, made payable to a Dominican for a project, that he could not cash. I called my cambista, explained the situation, and the check was cashed in thirty minutes.

If you want pesos for the check, you'll get the prevailing rate. If you want dollars, there is a 1% charge.

We know all that - we have used a cambista MANY times over the years to cash cheques - some of them for large amounts. The question is : is there any cambista who will do Canadian dollars ?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
We know all that - we have used a cambista MANY times over the years to cash cheques - some of them for large amounts. The question is : is there any cambista who will do Canadian dollars ?

Please define, "do Canadian dollars?"
CAD > RD or CAD Cheque > CAD???
Both are possible, keep in mind not a ton of CAD in circulation, in Sosua.
What is wrong with an ATM card right out of the machine?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Please define, "do Canadian dollars?"
CAD > RD or CAD Cheque > CAD???
Both are possible, keep in mind not a ton of CAD in circulation, in Sosua.
What is wrong with an ATM card right out of the machine?

CAD to RD. And it's NOT possible, any more, at the guy we have always used. He is just down the street from the Orange shop/Banco Popular in Sosua. If you know a specific one, please advise.

as said earlier - ATM is fine for relatively small amounts - but not practical for larger amounts

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

My reply was to Expat 13, sorry.

Never have been able to get a Canadian dollar check cashed here. Can your Canadian bank issue a cashier's check in US Dollars? THOSE I can get cashed.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Cashing a CAD cheque I can see where that would be tough, but cashing CAD for RD is not that bad as far as exchange rates go. I got a rate of 38.12 at Scotia Bank yesterday, which works out to about the same is I would have purchased USD in Canada at a
1.8-2.0% premium and the cashed them here for RD. You do not get screwed as bad as everyone makes it out to be in fact I
think that I am about 1.5% ahead by not buying the USD first

Sorry - maybe I'm not explaining this clearly - In the past I have written a personal cheque, drawn on a Canadian bank, in CAD dollars. Payee was either "CASH" or blank ( I'm pretty sure it was blank, but can't remember ). The cambista then gave me RD$. The point is - Did you cash a CAD cheque ( as described above ) at a Scotiabank here in the DR ?

I don't really care whether I do this through a cambista or Scotiabank ( or any bank, for that matter )