PSA: Group Health Insurance for Over 60

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are some health insurance companies that will continue coverage past 60 IF you enroll prior to 60, but none I know of that will initiate a new policy once past 60.

Alida & I have "basic" coverage through employment with Palic (I have used it several times recently with no issues at all). We went to expand coverage and were told that since I'm past 60 no can do.

BUT

If we had a "group" of 3+ they would.

So that is what we did: formed a small group. We made application for a very solid policy, were approved (with specific reasonable exclusions) have paid premiums and coverage is in effect. Our premiums are $RD1440-2060 per month, depending on what other insurance we have.

We have also been told that others can join our group.

So I have this to offer: if you are in reasonable health, could use health insurance and would like to join our group, drop me a PM with your email & phone and I'll fill you in on the details.

There is nothing in it for us. This is only as a service to DR1 members who need health insurance in the DR. And note: In no way is this connected to DR1 in any manner of form.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Is PSA the name of the insurance company? or who is the coverage provided by ? CMC in Sosua won't take Monumental, and so we are considering changing companies. As CMC is so close - we need to be sure our insurer is accepted by them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We changed from Palic to Humano because at the time CMC did not accept Palic, and I believe they now do.

It is important to state the name of the company you are using so that people will know if it works where they live. It appears to be Palic, but confirmation is necessary to make certain.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
i think in this case PSA means public service announcement.

Well - I wondered about that. And also " PSA screening test for prostate cancer "

Sometimes I'm a little slow ????

But yes - please confirm the company you are using .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are some guys offering the same service in costambar. a bunch of expats with a group insurance. some are elderly. good thing if you are a bit lost and don't know how to deal with dominican bureaucracy.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
That is great, CB but perhaps things have changed a bit since I got mine, about 7 years ago, since then the cut off age was 65?

At that time, only Universal offer a policy that had an automatic renewal past the age of 70 without a medical check up.

But what you are offering is a great service. Thanks.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
It's not true any longer that if you're over 65 you can't get coverage. You can through Humano, no problem. I did, have a fabulous insurance agent. Anyone interested, PM me.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Look closely at coverages for after 60. Our plan is higher end.

I understand many plans will cover you past 60 IF you began coverage before.

This has always been a confusing discussion on DR1.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Yes, the issue is really if the plan will cover you continously AFTER 70 without requiring a health checkup. At least that was what my agent told me. I got mine before the age of 65 which was then the cut off age for all the plans, but only Universal offered continuing coverage FROM the age of 70 on. All the other companies MIGHT give coverage after 70, depending on the health of the applicant.

I looked at CB's plan and it is a good one. Mine is better for the things that I use, so I will not be changing, although his group policy would be considerably cheaper. It is certainly a useful option for those who are coming here, even for six months since really, it is not much money for the peace of mind it brings.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This has always been a confusing discussion on DR1.

i think the confusion comes from ARS themselves. the policies and details may change. my policy, for example, has been adjusted few times in the 8 years i've had it and it may differ from standard policies as it is a part of miesposo's employment. TSS policies are also based on different rules (immediate coverage).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
i think the confusion comes from ARS themselves. the policies and details may change. my policy, for example, has been adjusted few times in the 8 years i've had it and it may differ from standard policies as it is a part of miesposo's employment. TSS policies are also based on different rules (immediate coverage).
I don't know all the rules and insurance companies, for sure.

We have "basic" with Palic and spoke to them about upping the coverage considerably.

My experience on DR1 tells me folks get their heads spinning on the subject of health insurance.

We got some clarification, formed a group that works and allows open enrollment with few qualifications.

It's just a service for those who need it, not intended to be all things for all people. Just something solid for those who feel vulnerable without health insurance and don't have a reliable place to go for help.

Palic is a division of Banco BHD, so it has solid backing.

I'm sure other insurance companies are equally solid. I do know that legal reforms have been made to reduce company shenanigans.