Another Driver's License Thread

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
One of the true adventures living in the DR is the ever-changing requirements for anything whether residency, obtaining a driver's license, applying for a license, you name it.

We spent today in StoDgo renewing my residency, new cedula and getting---finally---my DR driver's license.

We tried the license thing once before in Santiago, but I had an expired cedula (I thought it's expiration was concurrent with my residency still in good standing, but the kind people at BanReservas delivered different news.) My passport was a month from expiring, so I decided to renew that first. A month+ mistake, but oh well.

So I got the new passport and went to the Capital for the residencia renewal/cedula/driver's license. Not a huge fan of spending a day in gubmint buildings there.

But got the renewals done, early actually, and we stopped for a bite to eat before heading to MOPC next to the stadium.

Now in Santiago we were told---and given a form---that said to get your driver's license you had to:
  • have a current cedula
  • get a "good conduct" statement
  • pays yer Cheese at BanReservas for the conduct letter & license
  • eye exam
  • pass a theoretical test
  • pass a practical test
  • prick your finger
  • done

We were also told that the MOPC folks allowed an interpreter for the theoretical test in StoDgo, but not Santiago. So we decided that we'd get it ALL done in one trip in StoDgo.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

We got to MOPC at 2:40. We figured we'd get there after the 12-2pm rush and have plenty of time. Except they CLOSE at 2:30. Yes. They were closed for accepting any applications.

We were also told, as shown in the info flyer handout, you have to sit in a video presentation about traffic laws, THEN take the theoretical exam :)) I won't need an interpreter then!) to get a TEMPORARY license (like a learner's permit at 15 when I was growing up.)

6 weeks later THEN you take your practical & get your license.

I think the goalposts moved, but maybe I'm wrong.

So net trip to StoDgo will have a side trip for a Dominican Learner's Permit. I wonder if I have to have an adult in the car while I drive. :cheeky:

DLRequirements_zpseb72a7c4.jpg

PS, as a sidenote and a classic example of how the DR works, at the driver's license office, the drive marked "ENTRADA" was closed & the gate was rusty, chained & locked, but the sign was still there. You enter in the "SALIDA" entrance. Seriously. I missed it, and got quite the chuckle when a escuela de chofer guy said to go "in" the "out." :cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i can say is that i am happy i did this as soon as i could (5 years ago or so). it looks like obtaining any paperwork now is a major pain in the ass. all i do now is to pay the renewal fee and voila.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Easier to pay someone from one of the Driver License Schools to get the license. They cut through the red tape like a knife to butter.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
that is the 'VIP' treatment I refer to.

I have offered this numerous times here..... never acknowledged

deaf ears......... CB will get it right

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I did it in POP, and so did the Redhead. To say that it was a bizarre, absurd Kafkaesque experience would be a gross understatement. But i enjoyed it...in a weird sort of experimental way...to see how the crazy system works.

Frank

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Apparently you can avoid the written and practical test, as well as the provisional drivers license if you are not American, as the American Embassy will not certify Drivers licenses.
As for the main requirements to drive in the country according to Law 241 on transit of vehicles, all individuals must, among others, be:

• Physically and mentally capable of driving.

• Able to write and read.

• Of legal age (18 years old in the Dominican Republic).

If the applicant fulfills the requirements mentioned above and he/she holds a foreign driver’s license, they will be exempt of having to take the written and driving test. They must only request a diplomatic certificate from the consulate of the country where their driver’s license was issued which must specify the validity of the permit.

Once the foreigner has obtained this document, he/she must attend to the Ministry of Public Work and Communications in order to get a medical exam done as well as for paying the corresponding taxes for the issuance of the Dominican driver’s license.

It is important to mention that when foreigners request a driver’s license, they must have a valid residence card and a Dominican ID as well as a valid foreign driver’s license. If the applicant does not have a valid foreign driver’s license, then he/she must complete the entire process (taking the written and driving test), which is described above.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am an American that "practically" avoided all of the above. Not hard if you know how. Very surprised the OP took the route he did given his time in country and with a Dominican wife.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
What is a valid drivers license ?? Mine is french, there is no expiration date, no renewal or anything. Once u ve got it, u keep it ( or try to at least ).
So IF ( notice the capital letters ), I get my temporay residencia at the end of the month, get my cedula done, then I can " sort of exchange" my license for a dr one ??
No tests no nothing ??

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What is a valid drivers license ?? Mine is french, there is no expiration date, no renewal or anything. Once u ve got it, u keep it ( or try to at least ).
So IF ( notice the capital letters ), I get my temporay residencia at the end of the month, get my cedula done, then I can " sort of exchange" my license for a dr one ??
No tests no nothing ??

If your embassy will validate your French license, that should be possible. Americans do not have that option.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Suggest that you use the services available in Puerta Plata....the VIP requires you to attend but everything is done for you and you leave with a license after a few beers at the stall adjacent to the test centre.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
do u get stopped(police) and has it presented a problem?(not having a d.r. license)?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If your embassy will validate your French license, that should be possible. Americans do not have that option.
That's because driver's licenses are issued by a state and not the federal gubmint. Embassy has no jurisdiction or official access to the database.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Never had a problem, people say it could cause problems with certain insurance companies if you have an accident.
Yes.

ALL insurance companies.

A valid DR driver's license is REQUIRED by law for a legal resident if you drive here. If you have an accident, you can forget the insurance company paying the claim.