Safe to drive from STI airport to Puerto Plata after midnight?

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Hi,

I read about some security issues leaving STI airport. My question is if it?s safe to drive home from STI to Puerto Plata after midnight. I noticed the reflexes on the road between Navarrete and pop, which is an improvement.

Or should we stay at a hotel and drive home the day after?

Any input? Thx :)

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
What do you mean about security issues leaving STI? Do you know your way through Santiago? That is the worst part. I've driven that trip early early morning and haven't had a problem.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
There is no need to drive through Santiago....use the new by pass Circunvalaci?n Norte...which is extremely well lit. IIt's a vey easy drive to Navarette....the remainder to Puerta Plata is reasonable but watch out for unlit motorbikes.

What do you mean about security issues leaving STI? Do you know your way through Santiago? That is the worst part. I've driven that trip early early morning and haven't had a problem.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Hi,

I read about some security issues leaving STI airport. My question is if it?s safe to drive home from STI to Puerto Plata after midnight. I noticed the reflexes on the road between Navarrete and pop, which is an improvement.

Or should we stay at a hotel and drive home the day after?

Any input? Thx :)

I'm Dominican and live in Santiago.. In my opinion I would stay at a hotel and drive home the day after. The highway from Santiago to Puerto Plata at night is one of the darkest in the country (I've been driving in the DR for 6 years and absolutely hate driving when it's that dark) and why do that when for 80$ you can have a nice night in Santiago and maybe check out the city a bit then drive home the next afternoon.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
IF you know the road ( have driv3n it a couple of times ) and IF u are used to driving in the dr, then no problem doimg STI-POP at night.

Otherwise stay over and do the drive during the day....... better safe than sorry. U do not want a flat tire on the part between navarrette and POP,and be stranded on that dark road at night.

May 12, 2005
Are you an experienced driver in DR or new to it? Unless you are very experienced, I suggest you spend the $50 and stay at a hotel for the night.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as others say: if you are driving here on regular basis this is no problem. i would do it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Assuming you have a driver? With your eyes?

hmmm... i do not have a driver. i drive in DR on regular basis. i use contact lenses. yeah, can't see all that well at night with my myopia but i think many folks here tend to exaggerate when it comes to driving in DR. be careful, look in the mirrors, know your way. and you will be ok. i drove from santiago to POP after dark and i was fine. the tendency to demonize driving in DR is getting boring. it's like back home you folks only ever have daylight and ideal driving conditions at all times.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Let's be honest. Driving in the DR is not the same as driving at home. There are lots of very poor drivers on the road. There are many unlicensed drivers. There are many drivers who do the most unexpected things at every opportunity. There are many vehicles on the roads that do not have working lights, are in poor mechanical shape and wouldn't be allowed on the roads at home as they are just simply unsafe. It is not uncommon to come across farm animals, domestic animals and pedestrians on the roadway at all times of the day and night. At all times of the day it is not a rare event to encounter drivers who have had too much to drink and are heading to their next fiesta. Vehicles here have two speeds - stopped and full throttle. They pass on blind curves, hills and on the shoulder of the road. If two lanes aren't enough, they create a third and or a fourth lane.

Driving here during the day when visibility is perfect requires your full attention and a lot of local driving experience to fully appreciate the complexity of navigating the local highways and byways. Driving at night especially late at night when you are tired, can't see very well, are unfamiliar with the road you are driving (potholes, breaks in the pavement, debris on the road and whatever other hazards turn up from time to time) is just not worth the increased and substantial risk.

My rule of thumb: If you absolutely have to go somewhere at night and you absolutely cannot wait until morning, then it's pretty darned important and may well be worth doing. However, if your main consideration for driving here at night is to save money, the convenience of getting to where you want to be as quickly as possible, or some other silly a$sed self justification then just don't do it. Find a place to stay for the night, consume some libations to temper your disappointment of being somewhere that you don't really want to be and get a good nights sleep. Tackle the travelling the next day. After a long day travelling and negotiating airports and all that that entails, hopping into an unfamiliar car and speeding off to your resort of choice in the wee hours of the morning is just plain bad decision making.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
hmmm... i do not have a driver. i drive in DR on regular basis. i use contact lenses. yeah, can't see all that well at night with my myopia but i think many folks here tend to exaggerate when it comes to driving in DR. be careful, look in the mirrors, know your way. and you will be ok. i drove from santiago to POP after dark and i was fine. the tendency to demonize driving in DR is getting boring. it's like back home you folks only ever have daylight and ideal driving conditions at all times.

I agree with you about not demonizing DR driving. I've been doing it for more then 10 years now and so far have had limited problems although someone else crashed one of my vehicles once (hotel owner loaned it without asking)...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
HDR,

Based on your post count, I incorrectly assumed that you were a tourist flying in for a vacation or to visit friends. Since you live here and you have your own car, you are perfectly capably of making your own decision. I am aware of no specific security concerns around the airport or the trip north other than the everyday reality that you should be concerned about.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Thx for input

Thx for all input. I most probably will go with the hotel and drive home day after. Car issue on the road between Navarrete and POP is a nightmare night time. And it seems to be new pot holes every time...

Once again thx for input. :)

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
If you are a good driver and high beams don't bother you to much go for it . the later the better as there are less cars on the road .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe you don't realize that during the summer when these people are in Canada there is sunlight until almost midnight and starts again in 45 minutes.

blah blah. and in most europe in the winter it's pitch black when people leave for work and then again when they come back. the point it there is no place with perfect driving conditions all the time.