Shame on you Playero!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

May 15, 2004
With the improvements in Playero, I thought that the days of fruit and veg having the bad side hidden underneath on the produce trays were long gone. But today I bought 4 corn on the cob prepacked and they looked fine. On unpacking them to cook for dinner I find that one is rotten and another damaged, but all hidden underneath. Now I do not live in Sosua, so do I a) stop cooking dinner for the family, get the car out and drive to Sosua? b) wait until I next go to Playero ( who knows what state the corn will be in by then)? c) Suck it up and put it down to life here? Right now I am a tad annoyed (understatement)!

Aug 21, 2007
I understand. Sometimes I buy corn on the cob with the husk on in the US at farm stands. When I get home and husk the corn to cook, there are sometimes worms under the husk and the corn is rotten.

I know that Playero corn is not in the husk. Perhaps what you bought was a day or two old. Sometimes these things happen, even in good grocery stores and farm stands. If others on this thread had similar experiences, then I would recommend someone giving Playero the feedback. I know Playero appreciates feedback and often responds.

Lindsey

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Healthy Stuff

(...) When I get home and husk the corn to cook, there are sometimes worms ....

Live worms are a good sign that the corn was not excessively treated with pesticides... :classic:

Eat the corn with or without the worms.
Whichever, it's healthy stuff. :bunny:

donP

• Haha
Reactions: nigrarosa

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wrote about my experience of taking bad product back to a local supermarket (jose luis in POP). so i suggest you put the corn away in its packaging and a bill (if you still have it) and take it to playero next time you do the shopping. you never know, maybe their response will be decent. let us know either way.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The big supermarkets do this all the time. If there is no option for buying them loose, they will let you break open the package and remove the damaged item. Then they will weigh and re-price it.

Jul 28, 2014
With the improvements in Playero, I thought that the days of fruit and veg having the bad side hidden underneath on the produce trays were long gone. But today I bought 4 corn on the cob prepacked and they looked fine. On unpacking them to cook for dinner I find that one is rotten and another damaged, but all hidden underneath. Now I do not live in Sosua, so do I a) stop cooking dinner for the family, get the car out and drive to Sosua? b) wait until I next go to Playero ( who knows what state the corn will be in by then)? c) Suck it up and put it down to life here? Right now I am a tad annoyed (understatement)!

I assume you live close to Sosua based on your statement, try the new polo on the highway in Sosua about a mile past the Playero Supermercado on your way to cabarete.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks for the support all - I was so annoyed that I had to vent! I will buy my fresh? veg elsewhere when I can choose them individually. I knew I should have done that but idleness took over - no more!

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Next time open the package and inspect the corn before before you buy it. Have you noticed they never put the unripened strawberries on top of the deep red ones?

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
most all vegetables and fruits are sold to the supermarkets loose or prepackaged and all suppliers must take back spoiled and damage fruits or vegetables. So the supermarket has nothing to lose, but most likely will offer you exchange not refund.

g'luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Puhleeeze...

I buy them roadside here in Canada.... some are wormed

fresh veg can be contaminated.... no pesticides makes it worse

go back... complain .... and buy more....

#1 RD rule... check it & check it again

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Did you get that @ Joe's?

[video=youtube;4diUdRy2YL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4diUdRy2YL4[/video]

"They don't have a decent piece of fruit at the supermarket. The apples are mealy, the oranges are dry... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"

Jul 28, 2014
Speaking of Bananas, has anyone noticed how hard it is to find "Chiquita" banana quality bananas in this country? I'm a big banana eater, and it's almost impossible to find a "pretty" banana.

The ones I buy at Jumbo are usually still a little green, but already have a ton of spots.

The Haitians on the street corners seem to consistently have the nicest ones.

Ah, so you like the big Haitian bananas!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the tree that has the shorter, fatter bananas is really good... you need to look for them

my people bring them to me... excellent, those little fat ones... a bit sweeter

I am a banana lover too

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Next time open the package and inspect the corn before before you buy it. Have you noticed they never put the unripened strawberries on top of the deep red ones?

Have you noticed that they hardly ever pick ripe strawberries here? They taste horrible any way.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Take Package Aand Reeipt To Customer Serice

I understand. Sometimes I buy corn on the cob with the husk on in the US at farm stands. When I get home and husk the corn to cook, there are sometimes worms under the husk and the corn is rotten.

I know that Playero corn is not in the husk. Perhaps what you bought was a day or two old. Sometimes these things happen, even in good grocery stores and farm stands. If others on this thread had similar experiences, then I would recommend someone giving Playero the feedback. I know Playero appreciates feedback and often responds.

Lindsey

Yes, the feedback was appreciated. When something like this happens, take the package receipt to Customer Service for a refund.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We take bad produce in a package back for a refund/exchange with no problems. We'll call first then take in back.

Not at Playero, but I doubt they intentionally put bad product out there.

Caz

May 15, 2004
I think I was just riled to think we were back in the bad old days when Playero regularly packed produce with the rotten side underneath where you couldn't see the damage. Not worth my while getting the jeep out to drive back there - just a reminder to buy my produce loose!!

Status
Not open for further replies.