FEDEX / Customs scam

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I haven't come across a lot of scams the last few years (happening to me at least), but today this happens.

I'm waiting for a package from Germany. A pack of paper samples, a bit heavy, but without any (resale) value. First they send it to the wrong place (in Tennessee) then it's rerouted and arrived in the country this afternoon at 1.16pm.

At 2.42 pm I receive an email from a Fedex guy that he has been trying to reach me, because he needs my cedula to present the package at Customs. I reply him at 3:06pm with the required information.

At 5.11 he mails me again, replying my email from 3:06pm (but removing the time stamp) that since he did not receive my cedula before presenting the package at customs and that therefor he has to pay a RD$2,000 fine to customs within 10 days. I need to go to the Fedex office and pay the fine so he can pay customs and get my package out.

I wonder who's scam is this, customs giving out fines even though the information they needed was there two hours after they received the package and 25 minutes after they asked me for the info, or the Fedex guy who handles the customs process, entering multas in the system for clients to pay and cashing it himself when he has to go and 'pay' it to customs.

I suspect the FEDEX employee.

Oh, if I dont pay in 10 days the fine will be 10,000 pesos.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can bet it is the FEDEX guy pocketing the cash for himself.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Contact FED EX customer service in the US and explain what has happened and they will investigate.....if its the guy that should be his last day on the job there.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I called the regional office / call center and they said they will investigate. Fedex guy now says that the phone number on the package was wrong and that's why he couldn't declare on time. I asked him to give me the phone and name of the customs guy, which I know he won't give.

Well let's see..I have ten days. I don't want to pay 2,000 pesos, but I know in the end I will, my client needs the samples.....