Why No Drunk Driving Law Enforcement? Unreal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
The most dangerous place in the world to drive. 8 dead in Higuey yesterday. Yes I know not all drunk driving related but, regardless, does any one know of ANYONE arrested for drunk driving? Maybe when the presidents family gets mowed down by a drunk driver someone will do something. This is truly a disgraceful country!!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Arresting somebody means they (police) have to work. It is easier for them to write a citation for a fine, if they do it at all.

Welcome to the DR.

Regards,

PJT

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
OK but do not forget than Brugal pays for signs.
If they remove all signs , nobody will be able to go from a city to another and the whole country will be paralysed.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The most dangerous place in the world to drive. 8 dead in Higuey yesterday. Yes I know not all drunk driving related but, regardless, does any one know of ANYONE arrested for drunk driving? Maybe when the presidents family gets mowed down by a drunk driver someone will do something. This is truly a disgraceful country!!!

Drunk driving enforcement???? Where do you think you are North American? This is way down on the priority list. Healthcare, education, employment.......They don't have the technology to enforce sobriety checks. Havn't you figured out that this a country where it is pretty much every man for himself and the survival of fittest? Disgraceful??? Welcome to paradise gringo.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
In the last 20 years in America I saw one drunk driver, in the Dominican Republic it's an everyday thing. My main reason for not driving at night. And the police are a joke. Bribes(Propina) are welcome.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Does anyone remember years ago AMET bought breathalyzers and were training officers on how to use them? Any comments?

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
LT Steve, God forbid your family was killed by a drunk driver would you respond by saying "this a country where it is pretty much every man for himself and the survival of fittest"? I find this to be an extremely stupid response to a very serious social/deadly problem!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's interesting why on one hand many love the DR because of lax law enforcement allowing pretty much do-as-you-please at a cheap price, yet get indignant when lax enforcement and corruption directly affects them.

I can't tell you how many folks I know come down here and the first thing they do is stop the rental car at a colmado to get beer and rum for the drive to their destination.

This ain't the first world and one needs to design their survival strategery around that concept.

If AMET set up DUI roadblocks, many would be complaining about them and trying to bribe their way out.

Tip: don't drive at night if at all possible, especially from 6-9pm...and if you have to drive at night, assume every driver on the road has been drinking, paying special attention to those who are rope-a-doping on the roads, bobbing and weaving...

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
You are mistaken. AMET DID have the technology to enforce drunk driving laws. They purchased 1000 breathalyzers and that's all they did....purchase them. They never put one to use!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
One of the things many people enjoy about living in a care free society is being able to go out in the car and drive home whether you are sober, have had a drink or are drunk. Cars are considered security capsules by residents. I don't like taxis because I don't like to spread the word even further of where the gringo lives. Besides that, life is spuradic in DR, we tend to do things wihtout planning to, I might go somewhere, and through no intention end up drinking with people, I like the freedom to do that without concern for police pulling me and taking my license. Besides that, integration is an important part of living in another country, and I've been stopped many times with a beer in my hand and never had so much as a word about it. If they don't care then I'm happy to drive after a drink, it makes my life easier. I've never killed anyone after many years of it, everyone else is drunk also and so that's just how it is.
Not so long ago people were still drink driving in the civilized world, give the DR another 40 years to catch up. People make their own judgement of just how drunk they need to be to consider not driving, some can and some can't.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LT Steve, God forbid your family was killed by a drunk driver would you respond by saying "this a country where it is pretty much every man for himself and the survival of fittest"? I find this to be an extremely stupid response to a very serious social/deadly problem!!!

You don't like my attitude, that is your right. Stupid response? Based on what I am reading from other posters it doesn't seem so. It is a serious problem but one that the DR Gov won't be tackling any time soon. Consider this, liquor is sold just about anywhere and everywhere. You don't need a liquor license to sell these products . People sit out in front of stores drinking. It is a national pastime. You are being very naive if you think things will change anytime soon. We come from other countries and bring our first world thinking with us. It is difficult for we "gringos" to not think how things would be done in our country of origin. You are not there. So you either have to accept what goes on or leave and go somewhere else. Sorry to say, it is the sad truth.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, they had those breathalyzer things, but I guess they used them as toys or can't find them any more.
Now, they have to wait until another 'functionario' runs out of money and again needs the kickback from ordering more.

OTTT: 85 por ciento de los accidentes viales de deben al consumo de alcohol y drogas - Acento - El m?s ?gil y moderno diario electr?nico de la Rep?blica Dominicana

donP

just like the helmet laws. every time some politico buys a container of helmets from China, and needs to sell them in a hurry, AMET starts ticketing riders with no helmets. as soon as they are sold out, the initiative gets forgotten.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
This is truly a disgraceful country!!!

Agreed. DUI is a problem. But, like someone else mentioned, given the limited resources, it seems it's pretty low on the priority list.

That said, given the way you feel (it seems you feel that this is a pretty awful place), why stay?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
"In order to make the dr roads more safe, shall we go after drunk drivers ?? Or shall we go after tinted windscreens ?? " muses the director of AMET.

Thats the xmas spirit !!!
Way to go !!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"In order to make the dr roads more safe, shall we go after drunk drivers ?? Or shall we go after tinted windscreens ?? " muses the director of AMET.

Thats the xmas spirit !!!
Way to go !!!

why, that's easy!! the tinted windows, of course. the drunks have way too much trouble getting the money out of their pockets.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Drunks are not targeted because the traffic don't do nights. And they don't target drunks because drunks keep shooting them for trying to stop them. Now they don't even bother. Drunk, at night with tinted windows and you can do pretty much what you want without fear of being stopped or approached:)

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Serious problem for who? Expats or Dominicans? How many Dominicans are complaining about this serious social problem?

Why do north Americans move to a country that they dont like? Then they feel the need to save these poor people from themselves.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Serious problem for who? Expats or Dominicans? How many Dominicans are complaining about this serious social problem?

Why do north Americans move to a country that they dont like? Then they feel the need to save these poor people from themselves.

how much free time do you have? i can start with some answers...

Status
Not open for further replies.