Insurance & Drivers License

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There was some discussion in another thread about what happens if a legal resident doesn't have a Drivers License, or if someone has overstayed their tourist card and therefore is driving without a legal drivers license in country and has an accident.

There were numerous anecdotes and suppositions.

I had a conversation Friday with a top executive with one of the largest, most respected, old-line insurance brokers in the country that I do business with, and I asked that question for the intent of informing others.

His response was that all auto insurance policies issued in the Dominican Republic require that the operator of an insured vehicle be legally licensed to drive in the Dominican Republic. Failure to be legally licensed while operating an insured vehicle is a violation of the terms of the insurance contract, and therefore is legal grounds to deny any claim arising from that illegal operation.

He said such breach of contract terms creates options for the insurance company, and gives insurance companies legal grounds to do what they want at their discretion, including denial of any claim.

Yes, the insurance is on the vehicle. But the contract is between the insurance company and the individual with legal requirements on both regarding execution of the contract by both parties.

Now here is where it got interesting. He said there is a problem in the country with agents selling fraudulent "policies" and IF such an accident happens will pay the claim out of their own pocket to avoid the exposure of the fraud, a form of self-insurance, but in the name of a company. They can be difficult to weed out.

Just FYI-

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Aha !!

I hear that our smelly friend CCCCologne is a major investor in the 'self insured' arena

no question that you risk 'risk' if driving with no RD licence....

too many disbelievers here..... tut, tut

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I think, speaking of insurance, that it is a risk driving without a dr driving license......... but also a risk driving with a dr licence too........

Bear in mind, also, that LOTS of dominican citizens drive without a license and/or insurance.

By the way does one need a licence for a motorbike ??? I saw in another thread one was supposed to have plates on the bike....... I was not aware of that fact.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There was some discussion in another thread about what happens if a legal resident doesn't have a Drivers License, or if someone has overstayed their tourist card and therefore is driving without a legal drivers license in country and has an accident.

There were numerous anecdotes and suppositions.

I had a conversation Friday with a top executive with one of the largest, most respected, old-line insurance brokers in the country that I do business with, and I asked that question for the intent of informing others.

His response was that all auto insurance policies issued in the Dominican Republic require that the operator of an insured vehicle be legally licensed to drive in the Dominican Republic. Failure to be legally licensed while operating an insured vehicle is a violation of the terms of the insurance contract, and therefore is legal grounds to deny any claim arising from that illegal operation.

He said such breach of contract terms creates options for the insurance company, and gives insurance companies legal grounds to do what they want at their discretion, including denial of any claim.

Yes, the insurance is on the vehicle. But the contract is between the insurance company and the individual with legal requirements on both regarding execution of the contract by both parties.

Now here is where it got interesting. He said there is a problem in the country with agents selling fraudulent "policies" and IF such an accident happens will pay the claim out of their own pocket to avoid the exposure of the fraud, a form of self-insurance, but in the name of a company. They can be difficult to weed out.

Just FYI-

Good info, but pretty standard. I doubt there are many people driving around, knowing they are driving illegally on an invalid license and expect their insurance to still be of any cover at all. I know people drive knowing their licence is not valid, and they have insurance. But I expect they know that they are not able to claim if they do crash. And I also expect they do know that of they kill someone while driving without a license (and there fore no valid insurance) they will go to jail for a long time.

This is logical although there are plenty of idiot about!

(I might have been a bit ignorant myself for about 5 or 6 years, I had no idea my British license was not valid in DR until I read on here a few years ago, although I was ignorant I was not stupid)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cobraboy, glad to hear you found out exactly what I have also been told by those selling insurance. Yes you have to have a legal license or at their will the insurance company can deny any claim.

Yes scooters/motorbikes/motocycles need license plates (the bike must be taken to a DGII office with the original valid title so they can check it against the chassis number and provide you with plates). You must also have insurance on the motorbike.

Certainly many will ignore this at their own peril. After reading the above they would no longer be ignorant, but they would be stupid to not do the correct thing and be legal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I doubt the issue will be put at rest but at least we have more than 'local hearsay'

those that dislike the laissez-faire attitude here are the worst offenders, it seems to me

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can't believe people thought otherwise!

That is because they have read anecdotal stories by those that have had accidents while driving with invalid licenses and claims were paid. Such stories only provide others with a false sense of security that they can "get away with something".

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
That is because they have read anecdotal stories by those that have had accidents while driving with invalid licenses and claims were paid. Such stories only provide others with a false sense of security that they can "get away with something".

There are lots of impact liars on the internet! Well, on the streets as well!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well.......................................... seems everyone is full of sh1t here!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have read all the threads on this the years.

1/ we are visitors here = Gringos

2/ fitting in is not easy

3/ the law will work against a Gringo

4/ do not flaunt the gringo status

5/ do not break the law

6/ you will not like the court system or the jail

7/ the Police can be 'influenced' - both for you and against you

I choose to abide by as many laws as I can....
hopefully , my life will be easier if/when I encounter adversity... a problem

such a simple matter as a cedula and a DL seem a simple solution to me
to avoid a serious potential problem

you can't call Daddy or Mommy to bail you out..

2 pesos.....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It is baffling how people who appear to do less than nothing with their lives in DR, can not find the time to do the very basics such as get legal status. Once legal then life becomes less questionable and much less stressful. Again I think it comes down to immaturity more than laziness or ignorance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
laziness is the excuse one of our most prolific posters used..

a crock of $&!t...

you are either in or out.... black or white

inbetween is trouble

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It is baffling how people who appear to do less than nothing with their lives in DR, can not find the time to do the very basics such as get legal status. Once legal then life becomes less questionable and much less stressful. Again I think it comes down to immaturity more than laziness or ignorance.
I suspect money also has something to do with it.

Many live on the financial edge and just cannot afford the costs of becoming legal, and they scrounge around for money just to survive.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
laziness is the excuse one of our most prolific posters used..

a crock of $&!t...

you are either in or out.... black or white

inbetween is trouble
Inbetween works...until you're caught.

Fact is the DR is changing and becoming much more sophistocated (or maybe I'm running in different circles now more than before.) There will come a time when the "inbetween" is a really bad place to be...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
HuG, I do not agree......
I have driven YEARS in the dr, all around the island discovering it...... I have always had insurance ( respectable company I think ), and have always told them I drive on french DL. They always said, no problem.
I have been stopped by AMET, PN, military, G-2........ for real reasons or gringo reasons.......
Only once an AMET guy told me I was not allowed to drive on my french license, and only cos he wanted a bribe ( which I didnt do, I was in a bad mood.... )..... I thought he was having me on..... trying to scare me.....
I then, and only then, checked it up. On dr1 and at la migracion......

Also, being legal as in residencia. NOBODY ever told me about this. I am married in the dr, nobody asked anything.
Again it was on dr1 that I learned about residencia, then checked it out. Dominican embassy told me not to bother.
Migracion told me not to bother, so......... been here on and off for years illegally.....

Out of immaturity, no.
Out of laziness, neither.
Out of ignorance, yes. But only with the approval of dominican goverment.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009

Many live on the financial edge and just cannot afford the costs of becoming legal, and they scrounge around for money just to survive.

The flip side of the coin is get busted go to jail. And I bet it would be cheaper in the long run to get legal and avoid a problem....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

It is not expensive to become legal, and a fundamental outlay if you really need to live in DR and not just dos about. $2,000, legal, what's the issue?

People live on a month to month budget, I do. I do not live a life of luxury, but you got to have the fundamentals down or you are just dossing about and not really in it.
I'd love to be just in it, and dossing but I am not that that lucky, and I can not understand if people are lucky enough to dos about then surely they have enough to get legal...........................no?

And legal is not even about avoiding issues with the law about being legal. Simply being legal benefits you, life is easier and you have rights (albeit is questionable). I dunno, seems a lot of dossers in DR.

Lots of people avoiding issues following them here I say!

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Can one extend their visa in advance and be considered legal?