Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Electricity - Outage - Generator

I don't understand and probably never will but why do peeps move to this country knowing the problem with electricity and do not budget in a secondary source such as an inversor backed up by a gen set (emergency generator). Also why not have a reliable source of hot water and just plain water in general?

Maybe I am Americanized spoiled but no way would I want to live here and have my electricity go out for four or five hours three days a week.

I know there are a few expats who just pay the price to run the a/c, keep the frig cold and just be happy.

I live in SD and pay the few extra dollars a month to live in a building where I am only without electricity for 20 seconds until the generator kicks in. Plus I spent a few dollars on a couple of UPS so when the lights go out my TV and computer don't skip a beat. I continue to surf or watch a movie without a blink of the eye.

Just sayin'

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant imagine there are many expats out there without backup ( inversers, batteries, generators, solar panels, cisterns, tanks, pumps, tinacoa......).

I am in the campo, and the TV does not go off when the luz leaves, the inverser kicks in........ pay a couple of $ more and u wont have the 20 s lapse.......

3. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Cant imagine there are many expats out there without backup ( inversers, batteries, generators, solar panels, cisterns, tanks, pumps, tinacoa......).

I am in the campo, and the TV does not go off when the luz leaves, the inverser kicks in........ pay a couple of $ more and u wont have the 20 s lapse.......

Not too sure about that cause too many threads get started about what do I need to do for constant electricity. My 20 seconds lapse is no big deal cause that is basically how gen sets are programmed. I can deal with that.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the expats are dirt poor surviving on minimal social security.

6. Likes cobraboy, bigbird, Harleysrock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I AM dirt poor......... I survive on....... nothing.......

I complain about the lack of electricity ( say we get 8 hours a day ) and also the fact that the luz is unstable ( on, off, on...... high, low, high, off, on....).
    I changed my batteries last year. Downgrade from 12 to 8. The luz has been more reliable. First time yesterday I drained them ( and let them dry uptoo , but that is another story....). In 3 days, we had 4 hours of luz.......

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No Lines in, no lines out.

Although our finca is a 'bit remote' we have 24/7 electricity, pure drinking water, hot water supply, good internet and about 350 TV channels.
    I planned it that way, because I knew that the country's infrastructure sucks.

So, do not whine about it, provide for it.

donP

9. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

good here in Talaquera. been 3 weeks now constant lights.

Thiefs stole 2 of my inversols and my batteries 4 5hp planta too heavy

I'm fine now- gave my Haytian my shot gun - 3 geese 2 muts and 1 85 lb Pit

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Haitian Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by TP666 View Post
    ... gave my Haytian my shot gun - 3 geese 2 muts and 1 85 lb Pit
    Not bad for a Haitian hunter....

donP

12. Likes tommeyers liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

some people really do not have much. some, to my surprise, like barrio livin' and think no luz y no agua is real DR. i like creature comforts so we have backup power, huge cistern and water heater. DR is not the easiest place to be after coming from the first, or even second world country so i prefer to have the basics covered and bítch about other stuff that irks me.

but i met gringos who live without those little luxuries and seem fine nonetheless. to each their own.

14. Likes mido, Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

years ago in sosua we had blackouts (b.o.)at the same time almost everyday... and of course you could rely on it.... only when the b.o. went into the evening did the alternates come on....diesels...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast