Bringing car from US

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
hi,
I have a car in US. It's hybrid Lexus. RX400h, 2006. Is it possible to bring the car in USA? I've herd that old cars are nit allowed. But my Spanish is limited by "dos servesos por favor" - I cannot verify.
On another count: I've heard that if I have been owning the car more than a year then I don't have to pay custom fees. Is it true?

And the meaningful part: could someone recommend a good company that bring the car and do all paperwork for me? I would really appreciate any advice.

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
derfish, US and DR ciitizenship, own the car from the first day - 8 years . I dont want to do it myself. I want a company to do the job.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
derfish, US and DR ciitizenship, own the car from the first day - 8 years . I dont want to do it myself. I want a company to do the job.

DR citizenship will make it a bit easier since as a "returning Dominican" there is a customs tax break. You will still pay, just not as much. One of the mods, AlterEgo, and her husband brought a car in earlier this year and there is a thread about it. Here it is.

http://dr1.com/forums/living/139716-shipping-car-dr-nj.html

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Is there still not a 5 years rule?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
figure the $ and decide if you still love your car....it wil cost u approx. 50% of value.including shipping customs plates brokers tax etc...if the retail of the vehicle is 22K you will pay approx 10-11 k us ...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
hi,
I have a car in US. It's hybrid Lexus. RX400h, 2006. Is it possible to bring the car in USA? I've herd that old cars are nit allowed. But my Spanish is limited by "dos servesos por favor" - I cannot verify.
On another count: I've heard that if I have been owning the car more than a year then I don't have to pay custom fees. Is it true?

And the meaningful part: could someone recommend a good company that bring the car and do all paperwork for me? I would really appreciate any advice.

I believe that your car has to be not more than 5 years old. The age of your vehicle would preclude you from being able to ship it into the DR. If you were able to ship in a vehicle you would have to pay custom fees. If you buy a good used vehicle it will probably cost somewhere around $10000usd. Used vehicles are at least 30% more in the DR than in the US. The process to buy and register a vehicle in the DR is much more involved so if you decide to buy there are people here on this forum that can assist you. Good luck.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Due to the age and hybrid nature of this car, do not import it here unless you want to become an expert on ordering parts and like paying import duty on the spare parts. As others have pointed out, being older than 5 years might disqualify the car in any event.

By the way, that approximately 50% of the value for importing, if possible, is the value set by the DR government for your car.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I believe you're right...no older than 5 years and have to own it for 1 year prior to importation. A Lexus Hybrid SUV is a nice car, but getting it serviced and parts in the D.R. might be a very big issue, too. You see VERY FEW hybrid vehicles on the road anywhere in the D.R...more common in S.D., but not in the out-lying areas. The batteries in a hybrid can cost nearly $2,000 or more to replace after about 5-6 yrs of age. Something else to think about bringing it down.

i do not know if the rules have changed since i brought my car in from the US, but it is (or was) a little more than just owning the car for a year prior. the car had to have been insured and registered during that period. simply buying the car and putting it in storage for a year would not work.

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
Although I don't worry bout parts that much. The car has never caused any problems. Of course, it will happen eventually. But not tomorrow.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Although I don't worry bout parts that much. The car has never caused any problems. Of course, it will happen eventually. But not tomorrow.

what happens of some idiot on a scooter plows into it and takes out the headlights. that could happen today.

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
i do not know if the rules have changed since i brought my car in from the US, but it is (or was) a little more than just owning the car for a year prior. the car had to have been insured and registered during that period. simply buying the car and putting it in storage for a year would not work.

I just imported a car from the US. Bought it in April this year, had it stored for 3 months then shipped it here, no insurance or registration in the US. Used Encargo to do the whole process, very easy but takes time, about 3 to 4 weeks to get delivery of it once was dropped off at Encargo in Miami.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I just imported a car from the US. Bought it in April this year, had it stored for 3 months then shipped it here, no insurance or registration in the US. Used Encargo to do the whole process, very easy but takes time, about 3 to 4 weeks to get delivery of it once was dropped off at Encargo in Miami.

did you bring it in under the resident's personal property exemption rules?

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
did you bring it in under the resident's personal property exemption rules?

No, it is the third car I have bought in here in the last 5 years. I have my residency. Importing them all was just under 50% of the price I paid for them.