cedula #, how bad is to have it publicly available?

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
I started using one local online service. Their website requires exact name, cedula, number, and address. I'm from IT world. So I checked website security - just by reflex. It turned out that the site has no security at all. Thus, I'm curious - how bad is having cedula & name & address exposed to any script kid?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I started using one local online service. Their website requires exact name, cedula, number, and address. I'm from IT world. So I checked website security - just by reflex. It turned out that the site has no security at all. Thus, I'm curious - how bad is having cedula & name & address exposed to any script kid?

You already know the answer if you are from the IT world. End of story.

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
Well, I still don't get it. Let me rephrase the question. For instance - if we talk about USA - loosing {SSN+name+address} would be an issue. However, in Russia, a similar set {(Individual Taxpayer Number) + name + address} is a publicly available information. Different countries have different procedures.

Criss Colon, are you sure? I cannot find such a site. Could you?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What CC says was the other way around, info remember well. Fill in cedula number and it would give you name, photo and address of the person. They changed that. It now only says if a person can vote and if the cedula is valid.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you go into Caribe Express to change money they ask for your cedula. The clerk punches the no. in the computer and your info comes out. This in only one example. Very easy for a lot of people to get your info with only your cedula No.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

"One online service?" I missed this the first time. What kind of service might this be?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I thought you posted that you were new to the DR? How do you have a cedula number??? When you say local on line service are you talking about wi-fi? I'm not from the IT world? Confused, but that is probably nothing new.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LT
there are new rules in RD... even to use your phone(cell) they want a cedula number.

Until you give it to them, you're blocked...

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I know there have been other threads on this topic, but how does no cedilla affect tourists? I'll be down next month, and I am dreading not having a full data plan. Used to be a 15 day option. Like twenty bucks. I don't care if it is 100 for 5 days. Gotta have it.

LT
there are new rules in RD... even to use your phone(cell) they want a cedula number.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as I recall, there is an option for visitors....

they get into your phone... you must answer or have no phone...

the Claro/Orange office can help

Jul 28, 2014
They take your passport number if you are a Gringo and want took hook up your cell to, say, Orange. Did it last year, takes the place of your Cedula.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know there have been other threads on this topic, but how does no cedilla affect tourists? I'll be down next month, and I am dreading not having a full data plan. Used to be a 15 day option. Like twenty bucks. I don't care if it is 100 for 5 days. Gotta have it.

No problem. You can get a pre-paid data plan with a Passport or other ID.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LT

Yeah, I understand this but I was asking the original poster how he would have a cedula number if he is new to the DR. He seems to be confused on this issue of a cedula number vs. passport number.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are Dominican or a legal resident then the telephone company, the cable company, the water company, hotels, the banks you use, the money changers, and more have your cedula number. It is already out there if you do any business with the above.

I know of a story where some workers feared leaving their ID at our guard gate to gain access to our development. They fail to realize how many places already have their cedula number. It is already out there.

The concept is that you present your cedula to prove who you are as the national ID card. It has your picture on it. The new cedula version from this year onward is very hard to reproduce. But I suppose anything is possible.

For those without a cedula, such as visitors, a passport is often used instead of a cedula.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Yeah, I understand this but I was asking the original poster how he would have a cedula number if he is new to the DR. He seems to be confused on this issue of a cedula number vs. passport number.

I seem to remember from a different thread that the OP claims to be Dominican. If so, he'd have a c?dula for sure.

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
lTSteve, how I got my cedula - that's irrelevant to the topic.

Windeguy, if you are from USA - Americans leave their SSNs in banks, employees and so on. However, publishing your SSN with your name and address - that wouldn't be a good idea.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I change money all the time at Caribe Express with only my Tennessee driver's license. I change Euros I collect and Can $$$ Ad USA $$$ etc even British pounds. Ain't got no cedula and don't intend to get one at the cost thereof.

I agree on that. Any ID is good. There are a lot of exchange houses here that do not even ask for any ID. One in Bavaro for example.