The dreaded brown beetles

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
They call them frijoitos, or christmas beetles and they are invading us! There are 100's and 100's every night! They are stupid and slow moving , running into your face or hair, moving towards the least light. We put on the light in the pool then sit outside in the dark watching them splash down like rain. Our 5-6 bats are full in 5 minutes then they go away to sleep it off. They squeeze in the tiniest holes. I don't mind tarantualas, I can deal with centipedes but these things are going to drive me insane--------------

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Dont know what the op is talking about though....... I thought frijoitos was a kind of bean ( falgeole kind ).
I have green insects that fly around that smell bad when u squash them...... but they are not that stupid ( well for an insect).

Aug 6, 2006
That sounds a bit like what we call "June bugs" in Missouri.

I have green insects that fly around that smell bad when u squash them...... but they are not that stupid ( well for an insect).

I think those are wheel bugs. Do they have a semicircular gearwheel-shaped thingie on their back?

malko

Jan 12, 2013
That sounds a bit like what we call "June bugs" in Missouri.

I think those are wheel bugs. Do they have a semicircular gearwheel-shaped thingie on their back?

Yes it seems thats them, they also have kind 8f long legs. Also they tend to hit lightbulbs/shade and in doing so make a d7stinctive noise.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also do not know what the OP is talking about. picture of the offender would be helpful.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
stink bugs but as many as ive squashed i dont smell them like a vw bug drunk...

malko

Jan 12, 2013
What are the weird black moth type things that come out after it rains heavily and they lose their wings?! Those things come in the thousands!!!

When it rains heavily we sometimes get flying ants by the thousands. They lose their wings, very difficult to broom/sweep cos the wings are so light..........

Aug 6, 2006
What look like flying ants are often termites, otherwise called comej?n.
I think carpenter ants also fly when swarming.
Ants have wasp like waists, termites have thicker waists.

Ants are hormigas.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
well i got stung last month intense pain for almost 2 days...bought wasp/hornit spray 2 pack and went oput at twilight...closer to darkness...and killed the s.o.bees...they took over my yard.... i know neglect cheap etc,,,
but those bees are dead...

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
What are the weird black moth type things that come out after it rains heavily and they lose their wings?! Those things come in the thousands!!!

Oh yes, they appear by the thousands when it rains, they are called ahem "winged ants" Hormigas de alas something like that.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
OP here. These beetles are the size of a black bean,- in fact they look like a bean with legs and wings. They are brown. They only come out at night. We had them last year also, about the same time and they keep coming for a couple of months. If we leave the light on in the pool for about an hour at night, in the morning we can fish out enough to fill one half of the largest baggie we have. The chickens love them! I hate them! I love feeding them to the chickens!
We live sort of in the campo, ie surrounded by mostly fields. I cant figure out why we get such vast numbers of these things for such a long time.