Whole House vs. Portable Generator: Pros and Cons

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
I've attempted to find the answer to this question by searching the forums, but I've not found the exact answer to my question. It wouldn't surprise me, though, for one of you Sherlocks to post the hyperlink of a thread that answers this question precisely. However, I'll take my chances.

I've found a house or two that suits our family's needs and budget, although I'm not opposed to renting an apartment in the pol?gono central. The yard and outdoor space, as well as the vecindario, is really appealing to my family. My real estate agent is working on finding out more details about the property, but lets assume that we choose this home and that it does not have a planta full.

I've been researching the Generac 16kw models (Residential Standby Generators | Generators | Northern Tool + Equipment). These are powered by LP or natural gas. Our power needs, should there be a power outage (which we all know would never occur in Santo Domingo :cough cough:) would be to be able to run a couple of the wall split A/C units, lights, refrigerator, washer, TV, electronics. . .the usual. I'm no electrician, but I've run some calculations and it looks like 16kw should be fine. I also realize that I'd more than likely have to buy an LP tank for the unit.

So, I feel that this would be a good discussion to have on a number of fronts: 1) Is my estimated power usage correct? 2) Does LP sound possible as a fuel source? 3) I'll have the correct switching for the unit, but are there good, reputable installers, and what do they charge? 4) Should I import the unit? It runs about $3400 in the US, but a good Dominican friend of mine said to add 36% to that price and to consider price of shipping (it looks like the unit at PriceSmart is around $5800. 5) Should I be thinking of getting a portable unit? Generac has portable units that can be wired to the home on a switch, and the end user manually switches the switch and unit on (not very practical for middle-of-the-night power outages, but still a candidate in the discussion).

I know these questions, pros, and cons are very specific, but I feel that this discussion would not only benefit me, but other expats who may be or may have to be entertaining the same options/situations as I. Thank you very much in advance.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I had an 11kw generac LPG at my Tampa home. It ran a central a/c unit and big fridge, but I wouldn't run a electric clothes dryer at the same time.

My concern was many days without power after a hurricane like in 2004.

What kind of street power does the neighborhood have?

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
Might have to factor in price for a bunker,so when it develops legs it just doesn't walk away.

I've attempted to find the answer to this question by searching the forums, but I've not found the exact answer to my question. It wouldn't surprise me, though, for one of you Sherlocks to post the hyperlink of a thread that answers this question precisely. However, I'll take my chances.

I've found a house or two that suits our family's needs and budget, although I'm not opposed to renting an apartment in the pol?gono central. The yard and outdoor space, as well as the vecindario, is really appealing to my family. My real estate agent is working on finding out more details about the property, but lets assume that we choose this home and that it does not have a planta full.

I've been researching the Generac 16kw models (Residential Standby Generators | Generators | Northern Tool + Equipment). These are powered by LP or natural gas. Our power needs, should there be a power outage (which we all know would never occur in Santo Domingo :cough cough:) would be to be able to run a couple of the wall split A/C units, lights, refrigerator, washer, TV, electronics. . .the usual. I'm no electrician, but I've run some calculations and it looks like 16kw should be fine. I also realize that I'd more than likely have to buy an LP tank for the unit.

So, I feel that this would be a good discussion to have on a number of fronts: 1) Is my estimated power usage correct? 2) Does LP sound possible as a fuel source? 3) I'll have the correct switching for the unit, but are there good, reputable installers, and what do they charge? 4) Should I import the unit? It runs about $3400 in the US, but a good Dominican friend of mine said to add 36% to that price and to consider price of shipping (it looks like the unit at PriceSmart is around $5800. 5) Should I be thinking of getting a portable unit? Generac has portable units that can be wired to the home on a switch, and the end user manually switches the switch and unit on (not very practical for middle-of-the-night power outages, but still a candidate in the discussion).

I know these questions, pros, and cons are very specific, but I feel that this discussion would not only benefit me, but other expats who may be or may have to be entertaining the same options/situations as I. Thank you very much in advance.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
You are not giving us all of the consumption your going to put on the genset, that 16 kilo generac from Pricemart looks reasonable
for here and 16 kilos will keep all but the largest houses comfortable even with an AC or 2.

I am personally lean toward Inverters, using them almost 15 years here, have small 8 kilo genset for true emergencies, used maybe 2 occasions to keep the batteries topped up. We're running Xantrex SW5.5 x 2 with 16 trojan t105's, runs everything including the AC's if they are on.

Want to figure out closer and be more accurate P.M. me..

g'luck

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
You are not giving us all of the consumption your going to put on the genset, that 16 kilo generac from Pricemart looks reasonable
for here and 16 kilos will keep all but the largest houses comfortable even with an AC or 2.

I am personally lean toward Inverters, using them almost 15 years here, have small 8 kilo genset for true emergencies, used maybe 2 occasions to keep the batteries topped up. We're running Xantrex SW5.5 x 2 with 16 trojan t105's, runs everything including the AC's if they are on.

Want to figure out closer and be more accurate P.M. me..

g'luck

I wrote about our usage by saying, ". . .to be able to run a couple of the wall split A/C units, lights, refrigerator, washer, TV, electronics. . .the usual." I can't think of much more that we would use. The house (if we go that route) in which we would end up would have a mini-split wall unit in the dining area/formal living area, one in the den, and one in each of the three bedrooms. I'm thinking 60,000 BTUs divided among the 5 A/C units, plus the refrigerator, electronics, a few ceiling fans, etc. If I'm missing something, please let me know. I priced the comparable unit at PriceSmart and their price is RD$ 213,000 which after ITBIS comes out to almost $5800 USD.

Am I missing something? I appreciate the help.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
again, some of this, some of that, usage is DEFINED by consumption watts (ex. Television) and start up watts (ex. anything with an electric motor)

so lets take a wildly as accurate as we can be here then...........
12,000 btu split running watts maybe 2,800, starting 9,750 so that times 5 units is 48,750 starting watts so far....

Fridge, maybe 500 watts running so 1,500 start up.

10 CF's @ 20 watts each is 80 watts

4 ceiling fans maybe 125 watts each 250 startup so another 1,000 watts

2 T.V.'s, assume 40" LCD's, 130 watts x 2 is another 260 watts

Washer, conventional north american full size, 750 watts, start up 3,000

so your up to about 54,590 watts there, you want to run all that air all at the same time you gonna need some more kilos aren't
you?

I did the best I could with the broad spectrum, open ended NO information given, so in your case your looking at a 60 kw gen set,
I'd suggest diesel then.

g'luck

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Donluis99 - you are a bit out on your ACs - a 12,000 BTHU unit uses about 1.2 kW and the start up current about twice that. But you have forgotten that none of the units will start up at the same time so your final calculation is a bit out.

We have a 12 kW THREE PHASE Generator of which only TWO phases are used to power the house. It copes with 2 10,000 BTHU A/C a pool pump and the rest of the house plus re-charging a 12 Battery bank without any problem.

The Genrac series is in fact TWO Phase and give all the power to house. A Three phase generator using only TWO phases gives a bit over 2/3 of its max capacity - the Third phase is unused.

A 16 kW would be more than sufficient. We average about 20 kWhr per day so average about 1.7 kW load for a four bed villa ,LED TV, A/C in all bedrooms, pool pump. water pump and Fridge and sepreate freezer.

Olly and the Team

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
At Pricemart Product prices include all import fees & taxes.

This is helpful. I read back through the PriceSmart page and surmised this, as well. In this case, it looks like the unit would be about $1200 more expensive in the DR than in the States, basically the 36% my friend was telling me about. Unless I were to get it at cost here, it would be easier and more prudent to buy it in the DR. Is PriceSmart my best bet for price? Thanks for the info you provided.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
again, some of this, some of that, usage is DEFINED by consumption watts (ex. Television) and start up watts (ex. anything with an electric motor)

so lets take a wildly as accurate as we can be here then...........
12,000 btu split running watts maybe 2,800, starting 9,750 so that times 5 units is 48,750 starting watts so far....

Fridge, maybe 500 watts running so 1,500 start up.

10 CF's @ 20 watts each is 80 watts

4 ceiling fans maybe 125 watts each 250 startup so another 1,000 watts

2 T.V.'s, assume 40" LCD's, 130 watts x 2 is another 260 watts

Washer, conventional north american full size, 750 watts, start up 3,000

so your up to about 54,590 watts there, you want to run all that air all at the same time you gonna need some more kilos aren't
you?

I did the best I could with the broad spectrum, open ended NO information given, so in your case your looking at a 60 kw gen set,
I'd suggest diesel then.

g'luck

Don,

I'm sure you are trying to be helpful, but there seems to be a bit of snark in your post. I'm going to suppose that I'm wrong, and that Dr. Schragg was right in my COM 230 class, that the written word is a weak medium of communication when it comes to trying to convey tone of voice and non-verbal cues. I tried to provide all the info that I could, especially since I'm at the fact finding stage in the process and have not signed the lease on the house. If I had the house, I could give you the exact information as to how many lamps, light bulbs, TVs, A/Cs, appliances, etc. are in the house and their exact model numbers. I really appreciate in all sincerity, your taking time to assist me. I greatly appreciate it, and it appears that you are highly knowledgeable. Thank you for your willingness to provide your experience and expertise. Your inverter take has caused me to want to research that option, and don't be surprised if I reach out to you via PM to pick your brain a little further.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Donluis99 - you are a bit out on your ACs - a 12,000 BTHU unit uses about 1.2 kW and the start up current about twice that. But you have forgotten that none of the units will start up at the same time so your final calculation is a bit out.

We have a 12 kW THREE PHASE Generator of which only TWO phases are used to power the house. It copes with 2 10,000 BTHU A/C a pool pump and the rest of the house plus re-charging a 12 Battery bank without any problem.

The Genrac series is in fact TWO Phase and give all the power to house. A Three phase generator using only TWO phases gives a bit over 2/3 of its max capacity - the Third phase is unused.

A 16 kW would be more than sufficient. We average about 20 kWhr per day so average about 1.7 kW load for a four bed villa ,LED TV, A/C in all bedrooms, pool pump. water pump and Fridge and sepreate freezer.

Olly and the Team

This was a really helpful post. It seemed that the 16kw would be sufficient, but I just didn't know due to my tremendous lack of knowledge of electricity. It looks like I've chosen a good, solid generator in the event that I need it. This begs the questions as to who would install it. Hmm. . .

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This was a really helpful post. It seemed that the 16kw would be sufficient, but I just didn't know due to my tremendous lack of knowledge of electricity. It looks like I've chosen a good, solid generator in the event that I need it. This begs the questions as to who would install it. Hmm. . .

Before you buy anything it would seem to me that contacting someone who could advise you as to your needs and how much it would cost to install would seem to make sense. If you can afford a whole house unit that would certainly be the way to go. With the power being spotty in the DR having an auto back up would be fantastic. Obviously, finding the right people to install this is the tricky part.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know of two people that had Generac LP gas generators. Both of them proved to be very unreliable. They were both on my street. For a whole house generator, I would suggest a diesel unit. I use inverters as first back up and diesel as second back up.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Here's MY SOLUTION.
I have a 20 kilo diesel ?Planta?, more than I need, but it will run EVERYTHING in my house including 3 split a/c units.
I hardly ever use it.
Here is when I DO USE IT, hurricans, and outages over 8 hours, very few now, I live in SD, on an ?A? circuit.
I have a 3.5 kilo inverter, hooked to 4 batteries, I went from 12, to 8, to 4, because that gives me about 8 house time before it runs out.
No a/c, fridge yes,but we can live through a few hours, and I fire up ?La Planta? if I want to have a/c.
If I were getting started today, I would have an inverter of 3.6, probably 8 batteries, and a small gasoline generator to run the house, again,no a/c,and to charge my batteries if needed.
If you have a ton of money, buy a 16 kilo diesel generator, and an inverter.
Generators make noise, cost a LOT for fuel, and need to be maintained.
Are you more,or less, confused NOW?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Well, I think the written word got my tone across perfectly............so that said.

I asked for details in order to correctly calculate the OP's needs, which must be used to calculate the worst case scenario & the OP responded again with general information................

Olly, My startup wattage was gleaned from a Rheem AC consumption chart, so I do not know what brand AC the OP is expecting to have nor what the SEER ratting may be or maybe an Inverter type. Which have even less start ups.

And, OP does not say if he'll be running unknown brand of AC's all together or not, BUT if they are all running together, then yes it is possible that 5 compressors come on line together at various times, maybe not ALL the time, but it will happen.

It just gets me people want specific answers to specific questions without providing the very relevant detailed required to make a proper determination, then somebody comes along and wants to disagree with the calculations without knowing the facts either,
really?

Well if you want help sizing an inverter set up with or without a gen, you NEED to Know YOUR wattage of everything you plan on running...

g'luck

and the previous post, what some big fella said.....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If I were to do it all again, I would do almost the same. A 3.6 sine wave inverter with 4 batteries, and a 15KVA Super silent Denyo diesel generator.
I'd do 8 batteries just to be sure.

We have 2 banks if 4 with one bank charged by a wind generator, banks separated by a switch.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Well, I think the written word got my tone across perfectly............so that said.

I asked for details in order to correctly calculate the OP's needs, which must be used to calculate the worst case scenario & the OP responded again with general information................

Olly, My startup wattage was gleaned from a Rheem AC consumption chart, so I do not know what brand AC the OP is expecting to have nor what the SEER ratting may be or maybe an Inverter type. Which have even less start ups.

And, OP does not say if he'll be running unknown brand of AC's all together or not, BUT if they are all running together, then yes it is possible that 5 compressors come on line together at various times, maybe not ALL the time, but it will happen.

It just gets me people want specific answers to specific questions without providing the very relevant detailed required to make a proper determination, then somebody comes along and wants to disagree with the calculations without knowing the facts either,
really?

Well if you want help sizing an inverter set up with or without a gen, you NEED to Know YOUR wattage of everything you plan on running...

g'luck

and the previous post, what some big fella said.....

The OP gave you as much information as he possibly could given the situation at hand. He is trying to gain a general understanding of that for which he should be looking. If you'll read the OPs questions and comments, you'll clearly see what brand of generator he was looking at. It sounds like you should come down from your high horse and breathe deeply instead of trying to make the OP out to be an idiot. Good grief.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Before you buy anything it would seem to me that contacting someone who could advise you as to your needs and how much it would cost to install would seem to make sense. If you can afford a whole house unit that would certainly be the way to go. With the power being spotty in the DR having an auto back up would be fantastic. Obviously, finding the right people to install this is the tricky part.

Great advice. I'll be down in November to choose a place, and I'll have more specific information that will lead me to make a more informed decision. I'm hoping to be able to find someone dependable in the DR who can help me in the event that I go this route, someone who can go through all of the specifics and all of the equipment that I'll need to power. Thanks for your comment.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Here's MY SOLUTION.
I have a 20 kilo diesel ?Planta?, more than I need, but it will run EVERYTHING in my house including 3 split a/c units.
I hardly ever use it.
Here is when I DO USE IT, hurricans, and outages over 8 hours, very few now, I live in SD, on an ?A? circuit.
I have a 3.5 kilo inverter, hooked to 4 batteries, I went from 12, to 8, to 4, because that gives me about 8 house time before it runs out.
No a/c, fridge yes,but we can live through a few hours, and I fire up ?La Planta? if I want to have a/c.
If I were getting started today, I would have an inverter of 3.6, probably 8 batteries, and a small gasoline generator to run the house, again,no a/c,and to charge my batteries if needed.
If you have a ton of money, buy a 16 kilo diesel generator, and an inverter.
Generators make noise, cost a LOT for fuel, and need to be maintained.
Are you more,or less, confused NOW?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

This is absolutely wonderful, first-hand knowledge driven by years of experience. I'll consider this. It looks like I may start with an inverter and work up to a generator. It'll probably be an LP generator (be it Kohler, GE, or Generac). I know PriceSmart sells the Generac, but are there other dealers in the SD area that sell other manufacturers? I'd imagine that there are. Thanks everyone for your insight, aunque haya sido un poco picante a veces. Miles de gracias.