DR Customer Sevice?????

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Soooooooo, a friend of mine, and his bosses work late yesterday here in SD, and decide to go out for a nice dinner on their way home.
They chose a nice new restaurant to give it a try.
They ask for a wine list, and are told it's ?Not Printed? yet.
The they ask fora well known Cab, which they don't have.
The owner SUGGESTS a nice Spanish red.
They say ?OK?.
They loved the food.
The wine was not very good.
The check arrives, over 20,000 pesos for 3 people, no biggie, BUT,$4,500 pesos for the PI$$ Poor wine!!!!!
They complain that it is a LOT for an unknown, poor, Spanish red.
To no avail!
The owner says THAT'S The PRICE!!!!
TYPICAL!!!!!
Lost some good potential customers, AND, all the potential customers they tell about the place!!!!!
ominican Logic, better to screw you for 100 pesos TODAY, than get 20 pesos a day from you forever?!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Anyone looking for Customer Service here is in the wrong Country.

May 12, 2005
Soooooooo, a friend of mine, and his bosses work late yesterday here in SD, and decide to go out for a nice dinner on their way home.
They chose a nice new restaurant to give it a try.
They ask for a wine list, and are told it's ?Not Printed? yet.
The they ask fora well known Cab, which they don't have.
The owner SUGGESTS a nice Spanish red.
They say ?OK?.
They loved the food.
The wine was not very good.
The check arrives, over 20,000 pesos for 3 people, no biggie, BUT,$4,500 pesos for the PI$$ Poor wine!!!!!
They complain that it is a LOT for an unknown, poor, Spanish red.
To no avail!
The owner says THAT'S The PRICE!!!!
TYPICAL!!!!!
Lost some good potential customers, AND, all the potential customers they tell about the place!!!!!
ominican Logic, better to screw you for 100 pesos TODAY, than get 20 pesos a day from you forever?!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Name the restaurant

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
20 k pesos for a restaurant for 3............ holy @&《? !!!!
In france that will get u a michelin star restaurant.......

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I won't name the restaurant.
Not fair, I wasn't there.

?XO? this is ?DR1?,...NOT ?USAMIAMI!

I KNOW it's sometimes difficult for you to ?BASH" the USA, if you don't make your posts about the USA!!!!

Drinking alone at home is a ?SIGN?!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Restaurant mark up is not 500% as you posted.
They didn't ?ASK? him to suggest, he just did!!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Uhmm...On a 20 K pesos bill, I wouldn't expect the wine to be cheap (good or not)

But what do I know I usually don't pay the bill :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
?DR1?,..NOT Argentina1. OR,....?SA1.
I didn't post to slam a restaurant, my point was about DR Customer DIS SERVICE Logic!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps., there were 4 of them not 3.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2014
So let me guess, they drank the whole bottle, then complained. Should try negotiating after a sip and declare its lousy, perhaps then they would flex on price or give a different one...

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
CC, as you say this is DR1

NEVER order or purchase anything without confirming the price first in this country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You should name the restaurant, so it can be avoided.

It is probably a bad idea to ask the waiter or anyone on a restaurant staff to suggest a wine. They will probably give you the one with the highest markup.

Mediocre wine at outrageous prices is typical of restaurants in the US.

A miraculous transformation occurs when a wine is sold in a restaurant. An average wine that sells for $9.99 at Publix becomes a $49.99 wine at pretty much any restaurant in Miami. That is why I do all my wine drinking at home.

I have read that the next to cheapest wine is usually the worst. The idea is that no one wants to look like a cheapskate and therefore will not order the cheapest wine, which is normally a house wine of some sort.

In any case, it is always best to ask for the price of anything not clearly priced prior to ordering it.

my information says that is the one to buy.... the first one (cheapy) has the bigger markup.... second is better value

who knows? I usually 'carry in'

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
I'm wondering if this is common practice. This has happened on the north coast as well. A reputable quality restaurant, but I have heard of it happening elsewhere as well.

Aug 6, 2006
RD $5K per head is far more than any meal could ever possibly be worth to me.
I do not doubt that there are those that think a US$117 dinner is perfectly normal.
I am just not one of them.

I am afraid I do not see the logic of complaining about a rip off without revealing the name of the perp doing the ripping off.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm with you, XO

but the numbers can get BIG in SD.....

when they see the straw sticking out of my shoes, they rarely let me in to those fancy places

I need to be content to press my nose against the window and wave to CCCCCCologne inside

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I won't name the restaurant.
Not fair, I wasn't there.

?XO? this is ?DR1?,...NOT ?USAMIAMI!

I KNOW it's sometimes difficult for you to ?BASH" the USA, if you don't make your posts about the USA!!!!

Drinking alone at home is a ?SIGN?!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Restaurant mark up is not 500% as you posted.
They didn't ?ASK? him to suggest, he just did!!!!

Better believe AT LEAST a 500% mark up, if by the bottle. By the glass even more........ at least in geneva.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I was in Spain for 3 months, and enjoyed the wine there. I eventually focused on few favorite wines. Later that year I was in Sosua and noticed a favorite brand at the Playero. I was very disappointed with it's taste. A week or so later I tried a different old favorite wine. Again, very disappointed with it.

My conclusion is that wine need to be stored properly, or it goes “off”, and that is not happening at ordinary stores in the DR.

Wine does not mature with age in the DR.

I now select bottles from end bunkers, special displays, or being promoted.

In the DR, fresh wine is always better.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Okay what the heck did the eat to cost 125. Canadian dollars per person??? Seriously that place seems like a great place to avoid.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm curious about the name of the restaurant now. If they only consumed ONE bottle of wine, RD$20,000 is ridiculous. I think the most expensive restaurant is Don Pepe, and it will be difficult to get a bill of 15,000 pesos for food only.

Unless you take the most expensive appetizer for each, the most expensive plate for each, the most expensive dessert and irish coffee...adding 28% tax you'd get to 15,000 pesos.....but that's don pepe.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was in Spain for 3 months, and enjoyed the wine there. I eventually focused on few favorite wines. Later that year I was in Sosua and noticed a favorite brand at the Playero. I was very disappointed with it's taste. A week or so later I tried a different old favorite wine. Again, very disappointed with it.

My conclusion is that wine need to be stored properly, or it goes ?off?, and that is not happening at ordinary stores in the DR.

Wine does not mature with age in the DR.

I now select bottles from end bunkers, special displays, or being promoted.

In the DR, fresh wine is always better.

for sure..... all goes bad way faster

there's a very good place acorss fro Ilumel, and the Holiday Inn in SD

last RD Father's day, they had a big sale..... well stored and and well priced es
somebody here will have the name

out in the sticks.... Cabrera, RSJ and GH
Carlo Rossi is a legend.....