Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default East Coast compared to North Coast

The intent isn't to rank one over the other as much as just compare the two. I've lived in the Bavaro area for over 5 years. During this time, I haven't noticed much in the way of a "community". Certainly the lack of any kind of local municipal government plays a part. It's probably not the most scientific approach but when I look at the DR1 fora there are 108,462 posts in the North Coast forum and 18,692 posts in the East Coast forum. Quite a disparity. Are there really that many more people in the North? When I read the posts in the North Coast forum I just get this sense that people are somehow more connected. More discussion about particular places and events.

In my years here, the Punta Cana / Bavaro area has gone through significant changes. The roads repaved, the new highway, the supermarkets, Plaza San Juan to name a few. I don't necessarily see that much of a change in the volume of what I would perceive to be as ex-pats (as opposed to tourists). I am seeing what might be a growing Dominican middle-class.

I could be totally full of crap as this is all anecdotal.

Would anyone else care to chime in? What are your observations. How do these different areas compare? And please try not to crap all over the thread.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lived on the North Coast, 3 years in Luperon, 1 year in Sosua and 7 years in Puerto Plata. I like the landscape better in the North but the beaches in PC are far superior of course.

I live now in Higuey for other reasons (and we might move on to La Romana or SDQ sooner than later...) but I prefer the East over the North... Why I cannot say, maybe it is because of CEPM?

The North "exists" far longer than the East, tourism wise so that might explain why there are more posts / activity in the NC forum...

3. Likes Contango liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in the heart of tourist/gringo central here on the north coast. I too have found it more difficult than I thought it would be to meet others. The propensity seems to be to drive into their compounds close the automated gate and stay there until they once again need to venture out into the local economy for whatever reminder of home they seek. If I wave and shout hello as I walk past these fortresses, the usual response is to sick a pack of howling hell hounds upon me to ensure that I do not linger for a verbal response.

I wave as they drive by and they avert their eyes and speed up. I say hello in English at Playero and they look at me like I've just landed from Mars. I am in the process of getting a name tagged made that says, "Hola. My name is Dave. I do not bite. Please do not be afraid, I mean you no harm."

BTW I hate spiders...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe you have to learn to speak German ?

6. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monfongo View Post
    maybe you have to learn to speak German ?
    Or Quebecois. Or Italian. Or Swiss.....or Russian.

As others mentioned the north coast was "discovered" by North American and Europeans as an inexpensive vacation spot. It has a longer history, with more people buying houses and condos, and nicer scenery than the east coast. The east coast is more reminiscent of somewhere in Florida. Flat, flat and more flat land.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it much easier to make new friends here in the NC than I ever did back home. I didn't like Sosua much until I got to knows the crazy expats who live there and now I love going. I do hear in some of the gated communities it can be tough to make friends if you aren't from the same country type thing...
    I feel quite the sense of community at the moment but it did take me almost 2 years and forcing my way into different groups of people haha.
    C_G I found volunteering at different places was an easier way to meet people or come to the Finish Line on sat between 4-7pm lots of great friendly expats there.

9. Likes nsgirl liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Litte Choice in the DR

The Dominican Republic is a country where you have to choose your friends very very carefully.
    My criterion is the question whether I would also want to be friends with a certain person in my home country.
    Unfortunately, then quite often the choice is down to very few....

donP
    Yes, I know I am not an easy person...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i used to be enthusiastic about them white people but not anymore. friends should be chosen with more care than that.

north coast has certain specifics that no other area in DR has. there are lots of gringos and lots of information makes it to local media that do excellent coverage of all that is happening:
    Puerto Plata Habla
    Puerto Plata Digital
    DETRAS DEL RUMOR :: Noticias con Profesionalidad y Criterio
    Periodico El Faro - Puerto Plata
    Noticias POP - Una División de Noticias de Transmisiones Realesa S.R.L

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I find the east coast [PC} much cleaner, much safer and the people much friendlier. I avoid the all inclusives.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting reading

I agree on the scenery - prettier on the No Coast , IMO

What about flights/access?

How many flights into POP vs Punta Cana and La Romana ?
    Of course, SDQ is an easier reach for the east than than the north too.

and its my impression That the east relies more on AI's than Sos/Cab where there a pretty vibrant 'street scene'
    any comparisons in the east ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast