oil vs shoes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
is the high cost of oil going to put d.r. into the limelight again as a manufacturing oasis? the proximity to u.s. vs the shipping from the other side of the world by boat? oil..diesel fuel time ...
maybe it is tied to the new generators being built...???
i know that a few pair of
my shoes have actually fallen apart....made in china....
one miilion pair for the first year and then up to 4 million pairs a year europe and u.s. market....
will be good for d.r. and santiago....all those empty free zones....

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
sorry you are problably not aware that d.r. pres. and shoe giant ceo met today/yesterday...
and i was asking people of higher learning if they think oil (prices) distances of shipping shoes halfway around the world might of had an issue in opening up 4 new trade zone factories in santiago...
sorry.....but . Dominican Republic to be leading shoe manufacturer
General Shoes from Taiwan is opening a factory in the Santiago Free Zone. A US$10 million investment over a period of three years, the new installation will employ 3,000 people.

General Shoes president Robert Tsai met with President Danilo Medina at the Presidential Palace yesterday, Tuesday 21 October 2014, and promised to help attract more foreign capital and turn the Dominican Republic into the Caribbean's leading shoe manufacturing location.

Tsai said that the country was positioned to become the next China and Vietnam as far as the shoe industry is concerned.

Industry and Commerce Minister Jose del Castillo Savinon said that the new factory would make large numbers of international brand shoes and was part of the work the Dominican government is doing to encourage investment in the sector.

He announced that with support from the Taiwanese industry and government, they would work to set up a National Shoe Institute to train Dominican operators and improve shoe-manufacturing processes. The Taiwanese factory will produce at least three million pairs of shoes a year. In the first year, after an investment of US$2 million, the first factory will produce one million pairs of shoes for the US and European markets. Five manufacturing plants will be installed in the Santiago free zone over a period of three years.

The team from General Shoes was accompanied by the Taiwanese ambassador in the country, Tomas Ping-Fu, economic advisor at the embassy, Jose Luis Lin, as well as Rex Deming, Andrew Blight, Jose Diaz, Dave Magness, Jay Tauer, Edilberto Rodriguez, James Yao, John Galli, Ralph Amabile and Ming Tung.

The Dominican government was also represented by Administrative Minister of the Presidency Jose Ramon Peralta, National Free Zones Council executive director Luisa Fernandez, Free Zones Council promotion head Silvia Cochon and Dominican Free Zones Association president Aquiles Bermudez.

Presidencia de la Rep?blica Dominicana

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i still scour the internet for 40-50 yr old shoes.. nos...old hoarders. stores out of bis. shoes made of leather w/full grain soles...
i dont think ill be buying any of these for myself....but it will be a good shot in the arm for dominicans who will get a steady position...., and maybe prices will go down or stay stable...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
sorry but i always think you know about cemex....opening a solar farm in d.r. going off the grid in san pedro...i mean who owns dom rep cell phones an american??? no a mexican....
when you read alot and know it doesnt take much after that.... solar going green no electric comp....no bills not to worry about shut downs...
try to give me a break and just because you dont follow/understand doesnot mean it has no sense or value... thanks and of course i throw the small ones back

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
doesnt matter what u spent in the past....is china going to get closer....your allowance going down? im asking if proximity might have something to do with this....factories have been here before...come and gone and will leave again...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
spxcgg.jpg

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Mr Fish, are you really attempting to hold an intelligent dialog with my buddy?
You're gonna get sucked into the vortex if you're not careful.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Would SOMEBODY, PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, tell ?Don chic? that he only needed 500 posts to access the ?OT FORUM??????????
He can stop with his ?Does the DR need,.................................etc.,etc.,etc, posts now!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

?Don chic? do you live here????

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Yes, proximity has something to do with this. A lot.

The last thing any manufacturer wants is to have months of production in transit.

The problem is whether it is more cost effective for US retailers to pay for bulk rate delivered goods from Asia or go into partnerships with the Pirates of the Caribbean and take on the liability of arranging logistics where unreliability is the only assured paradigm dimension.

At the end of the day they will find out what they always find out.

Confucious say: It better to pay for an annual bulk consignment of 10,000,000 pairs of shoes at a buck apiece with 8.3% arriving in New York from Shanghai on the 18th of every month for storage and weekly distribution throughout your retail network to maintain stock levels than it is to spend $10,000,000 a year on a Caribbean venture where you'll be lucky to recover half in product, have no idea when to expect it and have to handle every little logistical detail yourself as your partners devise ways to increase their share of earnings until there is nothing left to salvage. Picture a healthy, fat hog declining in health due to neglect and mistreatment until it is merely another swine corpse rotting under the hot Caribbean Sun.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, proximity has something to do with this. A lot.

The last thing any manufacturer wants is to have months of production in transit.

Time is a more important issue than the cost of the oil to Ship a shyteload of shoes from Shanghai...

Status
Not open for further replies.