DR Pre-Paid SIM

BigTex

Sep 8, 2013
Does anyone know of a way to get a DR SIM card while still in the US? I'm headed down on Nov 2nd and really need to working cell phone number before leaving the US as my pets are leaving the same day as me, but arriving a day later. I know that I can give the airline my Skype number and forward it to another number, but I think it would be better with a local number.

Jul 28, 2008
Almost any US cell company phone will work in the DR ... with roaming charges. The best deal may be Sprint, which caps your roaming charges ... I think they have a maximum of $50. You will need to present a passport in the DR in order to buy a SIM card.

evox2008

May 6, 2014
I have T-Mobile and I'll get free data and texts in DR :) Calls will cost 20c/min :)

I'll skype everyone from there (Viber, Voxer, what's up, tango)

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Where are you staying? Hotel or resort? Can you use the front desk number? Do you have any friends already there?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I bet if you deep into a Dom neighborhood somewhere.... you'd get one....

need to find it first..... Wash Hts ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I bet if you deep into a Dom neighborhood somewhere.... you'd get one....

need to find it first..... Wash Hts ?

Yup, you're right. There's a place in Atlantic City where you can get Claro SIM cards and buy minutes. Probably available in other areas with a good Dominican population

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Seriously......

Here are a few options:

when you step off the plane .. buy a card at the airport

use your roaming ability -- incoming calls should be free.... no SIM needed

OR

do as we say above

Buy before leaving
Borrow a phone
use a friend's number

this isn't hard... but you to be creative
and will need to be moreso the longer you stay

you'll make it....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
On roaming, incoming calls are not free. And the price is really high, like $2 per minute. Just make your first stop a Claro or Orange store. I prefer Claro for this. 100 pesos for a sim card last time I checked.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Perhaps I misunderstood, my understanding was the issue was having a working phone, not the price. BigTex is probably from Texas, those guys are not poor.