Wife denied visa to CR? Incompetence or corruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
My company is holding a sales meeting in Liberia costa rica and I have invited 70 resellers and distributors, plus co workers and we will have over 50 rooms at a Riu resort in CR. Many of my customers know my wife and others wanted to meet her, so we planned on having her come to CR and then from CR we could leave to Aruba/Curacao for a honeymoon.

Sounded like a great plan. I went to both consulates with her and asked if my bank statements and work letter were enough or if I needed an actual letter from my bank. Both said we were fine. I asked if we needed to do an authorized letter saying I will cover all expenses on the trip. Both said no, just a hand written or typed letter. Great!

Now it all falls apart. Paises Abajo or Curacao/Aruba said 15 working days for the visa. CR 10 working days. We would have just enough time if all went well. Since Paises Abajo send the passport to washington for processing, we decided to do that visa first as if things ran late, the CR visa was handled here and we could hopefully ask the CR Consulate rush service. At least with the passport in country we would have a shot, and worst case we could eliminate CR from her trip and meet in Panama on the way to Aruba.

Well, first the woman with nasty attitude at Paises Abajo said, no. We have to do CR first. WTF? We were going to CR first not after Aruba and CR was not the important part of the trip. The Honeymoon is. My wife said, we would rather do the visa that takes longer and CR wasn't important. The woman insisted and said if CR denies they would want to know why. I don't get what CR visa has to do with Aruba, but whatever. My wife has had 4 visas to Brasil, 2 to jamaica, mexico, Peru etc. Never stayed even a day past the alloted time, never any problems getting the visas.

My wife drops off the paperwork and passport to CR consulate and begs the girl to get the pssport back in time to do the Paises Abajo visa as it is our Honeymoon. The girl was very nice, and said call tuesday. Tuesday was a week later and would have gotten the ball rolling with paises abajo in time. Sounds great!

Tuesday my wife calls and the girl said the CR consul wants to meet her wed morning. She goes to consulate frst thing in the morning. He grills her as to why she does not have US visa if she is married to a gringo. She replied that we are married just two months. He asks why we don't own a house in DR. She replies that we will likely be moving to US, so why buy a house.
She said if we needed an invite from CR company we could get one easily etc. He said it would be "complicated" to get the visa. WTF? Our address is in Bella Vista which is not Piantini etc, but doubtful that anyone living in Bella Vista would want or need to stay in CR, lol. Who the hell would not stay in Brasil, Peru or Mexico, but want to stay in CR?

I called the consul and he refused to speak to me. I spoke to his secretary and asked how the thousands of dominican hookers got their visas? Of course I know the answer. For the most part they "buy" the visas.

Next day Consul calls wife and says he will do all that is possible but it is complicated. He said call back later for an answer. When she called back, secretary said call Friday. My wife said, if I am not going to get the visa give me my passport so that my honeymoon doesn't get ruined. She said "tranquila". When she called Friday the girl said come by before 12 noon monday for your passport. My wife asked, with or without the visa? She said she could not answer over the phone. Mind you, this is after the Consul had said he would give her an answer over the phone.

Monday morning we go to consulate and I wait in the car figuring if they wanted her there by 12 it was so she could go to bank and deposit the fee. Wrong! She texts me and says Consul wants to speak to me. I go up the stairs and to his little window. He says, "ya Le di repuesta" y es no. I said, I am bringing 70 people or more to CR, and my wife is denied? That makes sense. He says, if she had US visa it would be easier. I said, idiota, if she had US visa we could go to HAWAII and not maldito Costa Rica, lol. He left the window and was walking towards me as I was leaving. I called him an idiot, a conyaso, and said I will produce a documentary on Dominican Hookers in CR and how they get visas. Security was running upstairs with hand on his gun, lol. Hysterical.

So, now we head to paises abajo, and they say 15 days. Visa would not show up on time, and if they were worried about CR visa, made no sense to even try. We just left. Cancelled flights, cancelled hotels. Wife is crying. I rebooked flights and Hotels for Montego bay and Negril. COPA actually owes the wife 70 bucks after change fees etc.

She went to Jamaican consul tuesday morning, with all the paperwork. She paid a lawyer to do the letter stating I will be responsible for all costs etc. She has had that letter done 4 times for Brasil, once for mexico and twice for jamaica. Woman at Jamaican Consulate, which is walking distance from our apt, was very cool. She said she didn't need the letter, as we are Married now and I wasn't just her BF. Didn't want my work letter, or bank statements. She just said, come pick up the Visa thursday.

So, after this trip to CR for my meeting, I will not spend a dime there. There is no way in hell I would be able to talk the wife into going to CR, Aruba or Curacao either. We dig Jamaica. There are places in DR we still need to visit. We want to do the Galapagos in Ecuador, and maybe tierra del fuego. Once she has a US Visa she can pretty much go any where. CR is not on the list!

I have seen articles online about dominican hookers being denied visas, but then a tigre outside the consulate says he can get them a 6 month visa to study english. Cost 500 to 1000 dollars.If those reports are true, I am thinking maybe the consulate is spoiled and doesn't like giving away visas for free.

Feb 7, 2007
Why don't you cancel your meeting at RIU in Costa Rica and bring your resellers to a resort in the DR? I would send the resort a letter explaining that if your wife is not good enough to travel to CR, the country and resort is not enough for your business to give them your money.

I just wonder when the DR starts instituting visas for these "paisitos" like Panama, Costa Rica and the likes. It is expected that EU, USA, Canada etc require visa, they do from 3/4 of the nations on Earth.
But why such paisitos as Panama and CR humiliate DR citizens, I just cannot stand DR government not doing anything in respect.

Brasil was bold to ask US visitors visa and fingerprinted them the old way (ink) after USA started fingeprinting travelers after 9/11. Why cannot be DR as bold at least with these ridiculous paisitos as CR, Panama etc.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why don't you cancel your meeting at RIU in Costa Rica and bring your resellers to a resort in the DR? I would send the resort a letter explaining that if your wife is not good enough to travel to CR, the country and resort is not enough for your business to give them your money.
Good plan!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i believe it's paises bajos, not paises abajo. and arguing with a consul of CR was not a good idea. word gets around.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The, ?Bad Dominicans? have poisoned all the WATERS for the ?Good Dominicans?.
Just like at the American Embassy here, low level clerks get their rocks off saying ?NO?!!!!
Happens when you give ?Little People?,...BIG Powers!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

I just wonder when the DR starts instituting visas for these "paisitos" like Panama, Costa Rica and the likes. It is expected that EU, USA, Canada etc require visa, they do from 3/4 of the nations on Earth.
But why such paisitos as Panama and CR humiliate DR citizens, I just cannot stand DR government not doing anything in respect.

Brasil was bold to ask US visitors visa and fingerprinted them the old way (ink) after USA started fingeprinting travelers after 9/11. Why cannot be DR as bold at least with these ridiculous paisitos as CR, Panama etc.

Trust me, I would. However there is not enough time and most customers have flights booked. I personally will not spend another nickle in CR after this trip.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
If it makes you feel any better we had the same issue with the UK Embassy. We had a trip to Europe planned with 3 days in the UK to see some of my friends. Declined the application - we have been married 3 years, have bought property here, have a business... yet apparently there was not enough evidence to prove that she would leave the UK!!!

Sucks when it happens - hope you can sort it all out.

Chris

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The, ?Bad Dominicans? have poisoned all the WATERS for the ?Good Dominicans?.
Just like at the American Embassy here, low level clerks get their rocks off saying ?NO?!!!!
Happens when you give ?Little People?,...BIG Powers!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

Yep. My wife gets hassled by immigration when leaving DR. Mostly by low level clerks that have never traveled so they are jealous. Sad really.

The worst are the dopes selling tourist cards at the airport. They demand to see each passengers passport. The line takes 5 times as long because these dopes want to feel important. Then, over half the people on the immigration line didn't buy the card and have to leave the line and get on the 45 minute to an hour line to now buy the card. Of course, then they do not need to wait on the immigration line again. Within minutes people figure out that if they get out of the immigration line, then just walk up to front of the line, the guy at the line has no idea who had already been there or not. That way they bump to front of the line. My last trip in there were no lines, but the 4 or 5 previous were nightmares. All because of these dopes wanting to feel important. Every trip you hear 4 or 5 people saying they would never come back. That is before even getting in. Make it difficult on tourists and they will go elsehwere.

One trip there were about 20 kids from PR traveling with coaches and chaperones. They were wearing friggin uniforms, so it is obvious they are together. The dope behind the counter checked every single passport. Took forever.

If you ask them why they need to see your passport as they are not immigration officials. They just say "es mi trabajo". They have zero clue. They just feel important. Their real job is making change and handing a slip of paper to people that hand that paper to another dope 50 feet away. They can and will be replaced by kiosks.

Right now the kiosks only take cash. If they had kiosks that would let you swipe a CC, immigration would go much faster. Will never happen though as I am sure some cash gets skimmed. Can't skim from credit cards.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
other consuls.

She already has the visa to Jamaica. The guy at Brasilian Consulate is great and knows her after 4 visas. The only thing a consul can do is deny a visa. Big deal, we go spend money elsewhere. Our meeting in CR is an annual meeting. Never again in CR. CR loses, not me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, and she can now easily be died a visa to everywhere else. you lose, not them.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Now it all falls apart. Paises Abajo or Curacao/Aruba said 15 working days for the visa. CR 10 working days. We would have just enough time if all went well. Since Paises Abajo send the passport to washington for processing, we decided to do that visa first as if things ran late, the CR visa was handled here and we could hopefully ask the CR Consulate rush service. At least with the passport in country we would have a shot, and worst case we could eliminate CR from her trip and meet in Panama on the way to Aruba.

Processing time is indeed 14 days however the time to get the passport back is more or less a month.. The visa is for 6 months however you will loose one month as they visadate is stamped in Washington DC

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Processing time is indeed 14 days however the time to get the passport back is more or less a month.. The visa is for 6 months however you will loose one month as they visadate is stamped in Washington DC

Too late. If they would have accepted the passport when my wife brought it to them, there was over a month of time. That was before CR dicked around with the passport for two weeks. Trip cancelled and we are going to jamaica. I dig Curacao. Never been to Aruba but looks nice. Unfortunately if you make it more difficult for tourists they go elsewhere. Twelve days in Jamaica instead of 12 in Aruba and Curacao. We'll probably go back to Jamaica in january or february.

The beaches are nicer and more live music in jamaica any way. Though I will miss live Jazz at the restaurant in the Avila Hotel. In fact we had planned 6 nights at Avila. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.