Agua Purificada

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
sometime over the next 10 days or so, I am having the ultraviolet light system installed for 'pure', maybe even drinkable , water !!!

the water passes through the blue lights and 'poof' ---- 99.?% pure
filtered and cleansed...

I'll report back

Ecoserve... in Sosua does this
my friend has it

ice maker in the fridge, ice water form the fridge dispenser.... the works :lick:

fingers crossed

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I will be gauche Bill,- how much does such a setup cost to install and then to upkeep. We bought a refrigerator with an ice maker and water dispenser. In the cupboard next to it we have a small water pump that takes the water from the 5 gallon jug and pumps it to the fridge on demand. We could also tee the line and install a tap to get room temp water if we so desired. Cost was 175$ in Corripio in Santiago. Course, whole house clean water is another matter entirely.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Depends on the set-up.... about US $2K... whole house

my houseful of squawking women claims their hair is not being done justice by our well
and that, sometimes, the water finds its way in to their mouths....

both situations are cause for a palace revolt

Cost was not a factor in this one.... peace of mind and silence for 5 minutes

Price includes quarterly service..... about $400 / year continuing maintenance

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Looked at it for our apartment complex and decided against it as we get cloudy water from the city maybe 30 days a year. UV can't kill bacteria that's "hiding" behind large suspended particles. Decision point for us was there's not an easy way to definitively determine which days are not safe.

I think the concept is good and if we had clear water 365 days a year, I would go for it.

I use a flojet on-demand pump to move water from botellones to kitchen faucet and ice maker. That works well, and cost of botellones with delivery can go on for quite a few years before paying for a UV system.

Best of luck, William.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
I have seen this also with purifying air and the same challenges presented below were always my concerns with air systems
but, if it buys you some silence or at least reduces the amount of complaining it could be worth it. Let me know how you like it

UV disinfection is most effective for treating a high-clarity, purified reverse osmosis distilled water. Suspended particles are a problem because microorganisms buried within particles are shielded from the UV light and pass through the unit unaffected. However, UV systems can be coupled with a pre-filter to remove those larger organisms that would otherwise pass through the UV system unaffected. The pre-filter also clarifies the water to improve light transmittance and therefore UV dose throughout the entire water column. Another key factor of UV water treatment is the flow rate—if the flow is too high, water will pass through without sufficient UV exposure. If the flow is too low, heat may build up and damage the UV lamp.[9]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
big particles get filtered out ...

we're on a well... clear water all the time...

my friend has it and loves it

2 of us are getting it this month...

public water would be a different thing... differ from day to day

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
live here long enough and those ideas vanish

ask me about the solar..... no electronic explosions

in this case... avoid disease...
like your MasterCard ---- Priceless

sorry Cdn... I was on the run...No water here on Lake Huron... broken pipe

Imagine... the largest body of fresh water in the world 40 yds away and I'm DRY

Life in the fast lane..........

My point on solar was - many forget to include the damage caused by the hi/lo power flows in RD
new TV, laptop.... other things

samr for water..... get one infection or bug and you wonder why you mess w/ dirty water.

ears, eyes.... my women use the bottled water to rinse their hair....

plus... I am happy to try (once again) to tame the environment.....
perhaps to no avail..

watch 'Out of Africa' again to get the gist.......

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm very familiar with the technology. I wasn't poking fun...well maybe a little. My company (when it was my company) used to install water systems. You obviously don't live far from me. I assume you are softening the well water before the purification equip. If your well is anything like mine, the calcium and iron would to do a number on the filters and as time goes by between filter replacement more and more "junk" is going to get through reducing the effectiveness of the UV potentially by as much as 50%.

That's not to say if you were to invite me over for a scotch and water I wouldn't come. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
no softener... hard water, but these ppl come quarterly to check/change filters and maintain the system

should be a good business here

Live near you ??
canada or RD?

Me---- Grand Bend ON, Philadelphia, Cabrera
plus some other universe at times......

Aug 21, 2007
I have an EcoServe system under my sink. (Infiniti Blu also has the water for the project filtered by EcoServe, but they don't recommend drinking the water in case a gardener makes a crack in a pipe.) I love the system and the service. Living on the 3rd floor and usually alone, there is no way I could lug water bottles.

Recently, Infiniti Blu's filtration system for the development was down. At that time, my water was still drinkable, but had a calcium taste to it. Since my frig also can filter water, I bought the frig filter and with that backup system, the water taste is back to normal.

Honestly, I don't know anyone who has the EcoServe system who is not content with the system and the service. For me, the cost is worth it.

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh Lindsey.... thats a comfort to hear.........since I just paid y'day for next week's instal.

thanks.....

seem like nice guys.... Michael and Greg

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
ww,

If they change the filters every 4 months you should be ok. Just make sure they do.

I was referring to your residence here in the DR. But I was mistaken, we're not exactly neighbors. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CDn... 1/4ly.... every 3 mos

at one point Rio San Juan was your destination

check out the system.... I'd like your opinion

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
RSJ was indeed high on our list, but alas, I'm just not Dominican enough yet to that far away from La Mesa Verde.

The technology is sound. After it is installed and before they leave, be sure to turn on two showers and flush a toilet to make sure the is enough of a flow rate to meet high water demand times. You did not say if you were using a pressurized storage tank after the filters.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
impeller system

my biggest deal is the watt draw on my solar...... seems to be just 22 or so

but the lights run constantly... don't just come on with use

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and believe me.... altho never being to the Green Table.....

RSJ has some hot restaurants.... big French contingent and excellent local cooking..sometimes combined