Recall on defective air bags

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Do the auto dealers here honor the NHTSA/Manufacturer recalls?

I would have no idea since my car is 14 years old. My purpose to send this out was more as a safety warning to others especially 2nd & 3rd owners of used cars who would not get a recall notice.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Difficult to imagine the DR honoring recall other than mechanics seeing a chance to make a good buck. Would you buy a unreparied car subject to the recall notice? Possible business opportunity selling falsified repair forms "proving" the cars air bag system was repaired and the car is now safe. I would not take for free one of the recalled cars in the DR.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
the used car dealers are printing up "repaired" notices as we type. No problem for Dominicans to buy one of the affected cars as
highway safety is not high on their list of concerns. The other route for a cheap fix is just to disable the airbag system altogether.Adding to your risk level beats being impaled by a piece of jagged metal in your chest. For me I love all the safety systems in modern cars. Seatbelts, air bags and removal of pointed metal inside the car has saved countless lives. Small things like protruding radio knobs have injured lots of people in the past. Remember the big old metal rear view mirrors that could puncture a skull? Thanks to Ralph Nader for getting the ball rolling with "Unsafe At Any Speed" and seat belts.