american tourist robbed in sosua

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
A retired policeman from NYC visiting a third world country with $1,000 in cash is surprised when it's stolen. Doesn't say much for the cop does it?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
It could have been much worse.

... 1000 dollars stolen from hotel's safe...

But only that.
The thief had a heart and did not take the tablet, his documents and credit cards. :cool:

The police could beat it out of the hotel staff but they probably prefer to share the booty.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A retired policeman from NYC visiting a third world country with $1,000 in cash is surprised when it's stolen. Doesn't say much for the cop does it?

oh please. many travel with cash to avoid ATM frauds and fees and 1000 dollars is not that much for holidays. when i visited DR i always had few hundred dollars and pounds in cash...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I don't believe it. $1000us is easy to spend in Sosua in one night on vacation. They only took the cash, I don't believe thieves would ignore an ipad, not in dominican, they love ipads more than their children. My guess is he got drunken stupid, started throwing a bit cash about, bought a couple of bottles of vodka, sat himself in VIP, a few RD500 down whores panties. Maybe went through 2, 3 or 4 whores on a binge. Thats only RD40,000, this is not much money to go through if you are drunk and entertaining and buying bottles of vodka, pretty standard. Infact RD40,000 on a crazy binge wouldn't be enough.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we once had our house broken into and only the cash was stolen. my laptop was on the table. cash is fast and easy.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When the staff leaves the hotel they go through a check point where they are patted down. If he had the IPad he never could have got through this. At least that is the way we do it in the Hard Rock Hotel.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
$1,000 is a very, very good payday, even for thieves here in the states. I know the recipients of that money must be happy.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
how would people suggest is the best way to travel...I don't believe people use travelers checks anymore ...what would you suggest instead of cash?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
how would people suggest is the best way to travel...I don't believe people use travelers checks anymore ...what would you suggest instead of cash?

Is there a particular reason people do not use ATM at a safe machine, or even withdrawing from the bank itself over the counter? Seems logical and the safest bet to me. Really, minimal Spanish is required to ask for money.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
It reportedly happened at the Breeze Hotel, located on Calle Alejo Martinez
There u
There you have it! That and the New Garden are the two biggest chica friendly hotels in town. A chica robbed him no doubt, and she w
There you have it! That and the New Garden are the two biggest chica friendly hotels in town. A chica robbed him no doubt, and she w
There you have it! That and the New Garden are the two biggest chica friendly hotels in town. A chica robbed him no doubt, and she wouldn't be able to get a tablet passed security is my guess. I feel bad for him, I hope that want his whole stash,bored his first night in town.

May 29, 2006
I wouldn't trust a hotel safe anymore. I'm bringing my own, a $20 portable gun safe from Tractor Supply with a security cable that can be hidden and connected to something that can't be easily cut through. Only weighs a pound and can hold my cash, cards and papers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's very possible. 1000 dollars it's easy to hide. you can even shove it up your ***. invisible. fitting an ipad there would present certain difficulties. and i think anyone capable of that wouldn't need to steal as they'd be making money as a warm up for tijuana donkey show.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I can remember several people in the Spring saying....

If you close Bars and drive away Mongers, the Chics, Hustlers, Motoconcho drivers, etc. will suffer.
This will intern cause an increase in crime.

Multiple robberies reported on the DR1 in a week.

I am not surprised.

I hope the DR Politicians are ready to clean up what they started (yea right!)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It has been bad of recent up there. Is there a considerable increase in street scum or is this the usual locals just getting more greedy.
I wonder if the usual crap from the Capital have now moved up to the North as there is so much deterrent on the city streets these days. Maybe.

Might be me but it seems that there has been at least a couple of years since there was this much going on at one time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Might be me but it seems that there has been at least a couple of years since there was this much going on at one time.

it's periodical. occasionally there is a rush of cases where gringos are victims of a crime. bear in mind that dr1 also has changed and we have more reports regarding such situations.