Full house water filtering system

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
A few people in my community are having full house water filtering systems installed and I am interested in getting one. I spoke with an installer and he said they cost about 50-60k pesos and you just need to replace a filter every 2 years that costs about 2000 pesos. Anyone have experience with these filters and should I be interested?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I had a filtration system installed at my house in Puerto Plata. It consisted of two upright tanks (same size as oxygen tanks) full of activated carbon, and two smaller tanks, one with bleach, the other with rock salt, that treated the water. It did an excellent job of getting rid of "hard" water.

The company I got it from was Siagua (8095321570) here in Santo Domingo. I saw some activated charcoal tanks in Americana a couple of weeks ago, BTW.

If I were going to do the same system today, I'd add the UV component.

problem with water softeners is that they waste large amounts of water when they regenerate. Also, think about where every single bag of salt you buy and pour in there ends up. Im not a fan of this old technology. Nano filtration systems have made salt softeners obsolete.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
to Update

My system is installed
The women in the house claim their hair washes better but more importantly, we can drink from all the taps.

Stomach issues seem to have lessened too.

All in all , very happy with the results....
2 filters and 2 UV bulbs (27w draw for the bulbs, they say)

$2,000 installed - includes quarterly mtce visits ($400/yr continuing expense)

I had another thread.... Agua Purificada..... maybe these should go together

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Who offers Nano filtration systems here in the DR?

Sorry I missed this reply. Im not sure anyone offers a nano filtration system here. There's really not much to it though. Low pressure 4"x40" housing with membrane in it. Couple of pre filters, a post filter, and a couple of flow meters. If you would like, I can send info on a few that can be purchased in the states, and there is a guy in PR that sells them. Fyi, they run a couple thousand dollars for a good system.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you have a moment, could you post a picture of the installation? I'd love to see it.

It sounds like it's a lot more compact than the system I had.

I'm technically challenged.. so a pic will be hard to do... but it is compact

it's 2' x 2' on the wall and protrudes 1'

1 large, 1 small filter and a tube for the 2 UV neon bulbs

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Sayanora,
From your orginal post it is not clear if you want a Filter system that reduces particles in the water or a water purification system that produces drinking water.
A filter system with a OmniFilter BF7 and a Omni filter RS6 would cost about 10,ooo RDS installed with a filter changed every 6 months or so. This system has various filters that can improve the quality of the water but not necessarily make it potable. We have found that the muddy water comes from Corraplata and usually after heavy rains like last night. We turn the main supply off and run just on the water in the cyistern fo a few days until the main water is clear again. This greatly reduces the mud in the water.

The other posters have mainly been refering to a potable or drinking water system which is much more complicated and their descriptions are pretty good.
It just depends on what you are looking for?

Olly and the Team

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
none of my workers will drink from the tap.....

bad water is bad in all ways

they may be MORE resistant , but not immune

the same bad salad hits them too

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
WW, have you had a water sample tested by a lab. Those results would be interesting and perhaps the deciding factor is someone's decision.

Because that's WHY folks would install such a system...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW, have you had a water sample tested by a lab. Those results would be interesting and perhaps the deciding factor is someone's decision.

Because that's WHY folks would install such a system...

not an independent lab... just the installer company

two of my friends have the same system..... we are all happy

The original friend, the first 'guinea pig' , sent her water sample to MIA for testing and got a clean bill .

Aug 21, 2007
I have had the system for 3 years now, drinking the water without reservation. When I owned a home and bought bottled water, I often had stomach issues. Now, with this system- no problems ever.

Lindsey

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
a friend has well water and i always drank it with no reservation...is this the case or difference with tap or well? i dont drink tap...as i have gotten bit more than once for doing so....another story....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW--did your total cost include installation? Does it require 110 v connection for the U.V. light? The problem with the water in Punta Cana is the SMELL---very much a sulfur smell. Never tasted the stuff, but smell is terrible, even when you're showering...

Yes, $2,050 all in.....
yes, it plugs in for the 2 UV bulbs... about 27w , they tell me - the lights run all the time

I am on a well.... we never drank from it fearing cow field runoff water.

As LK said earlier , it now tastes better than the big bottles but also is more pure ( we assume from calmer digestive systems !!)

and Thank you JD for posting the picture.....:bunny:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I ending up going with 2 activated carbon filters, one is at the cistern pump and it's about 5 feet tall and full of activated carbon. The other is small and is installed at the sink and I think it's a ceramic filter with activated carbon inside. I paid 35k for the large one and 9k for the one at the sink. I'm not sure about the efficacy so I add chlorine to the cistern water and then run it through the filters. I am sending a few samples out for sending soon but until then I'm just going to drink it. I think the UV systems are more effective overall from the research I've done.

Btw, my general feeling on the filter at the sink I purchased is that is was a mistake, nothing I've read about activated carbon has convinced me about the anti-bacterial effects, that's why I add the chlorine, activated carbon seems effective at removing chlorine by products.

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
For my house in Canada, I bought a system on eBay for $US350 plus the cost of some filters. It has two huge 20" blue filters - one for sediment, the other carbon, and a 6gpm UV light. The vendor was H2O Splash. They have a website. Had my plumber install it. Seems to do the job.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
seems to be similar...

actually, I think Ecoserve is Cdn owned .... at least these guys... not sure

remember the $400 annual service is in the price and a $200 water filter jug

system can be $200 less.....

actually, $1400 + $400 service quarterly visits and $200 jug/filter