Barahona and Larimar Mines

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
My mom is visiting, and she wants to go to Barahona. We will be renting a car and having our Dominican friend drive, so we have that covered.

Suggestions on where to stay, mine tours, and what to do. Anyone know where to look for hotels or villa rentals?

Aug 6, 2006
The Gran Hotel Barahona is rather nice, about three blocks from the newly renovated Parque Central in one direction and the Malecon in the other, about $40 US double, AC and morning coffee included. El Loro Tuerto is more trendy with a lot of Frida Kahlo prints and a nice dining room, on Casandra Damiron about ? km from city center, slightly more. There are some luxury hotels on the Malecon. I hear the road to the Larimar mines has been recently graded. There is a beautiful beach at San Rafael, fresh water pools. Also nice is Los Patos. The drive from Barahona to Pedernales is beautiful. There are some really luxurious villas between Barahona and Los Patos, Casa Bonita is one of them. The sea is pretty rough and tends to have pebble beaches rather than sand, so the places with fresh water streams are nicer for swimming. Playa Las Aguilas is said to be really beautiful, and I hear the road is now greatly improved. Inquire before you go.

Have a nice trip.