Importing tropical fruits seeds to DR.

Locoboy71

Jul 27, 2007
Can some one direct me to a website where I can find the requirements for importing fruit seeds to DR. I want take a few seeds of rare fruit and other tropical fruits (not for commercial use) to plan in my land. I'm trying to find out what are the legal requirements or if I just take them in my luggage can there be any legal problems beside maybe paying a monetary fine?

Thank you.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I dont know what tropical fruit u may be talking about........
I have brought over all sorts of seeds and roots and cuttings........ never had an issue

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I have brought over all sorts of seeds and roots and cuttings........ never had an issue

Huh!!?? Import restrictions that might protect this countries crops. No, we don't believe in restrictions that stop us from doing whatever we want! free love! Drive without following rules. Import diseases without following rules. Live for today! Dumb @$$.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...and if you declare them on your customs card like you are supposed to, and someone actually reads the card, they will be confiscated. Here as in many other countries, the import of plants, fruit, seeds, raw wood products and along list of other agricultural/food products is not permitted without a permit.

Yes, if you say nothing, I'll likely get it past customs.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I've been importing fruit and vegtable seeds via courier for 15 years, never an issue.

g'luck

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Huh!!?? Import restrictions that might protect this countries crops. No, we don't believe in restrictions that stop us from doing whatever we want! free love! Drive without following rules. Import diseases without following rules. Live for today! Dumb @$$.

Did they check u for sexually transmited diseases when u arrived ??? Dumb @$$ urself, punk !!!

Locoboy71

Jul 27, 2007

These are mostly common fruits. Some enhanced to sustain harsh weather and a couple of rare fruits, at least for DR they will be or at least not common.

1- Euterpe oleracea (This is a palm)
2- Ziziphus jujuba
3- Hippophae rhamnoides
4- Wisteria sinensis (Flowers)
5- Ficus auriculata
6- Physalis peruvianus
7- Solanum muricatum
8- Deinbollia oblongifolia
9- Harpephyllum caffrum
10- Adansonia digitata

And a couple of guava and varieties from south America and a soursop.

They are all topical fruits from different part of the world. I know some of these might not do well in the DR climate, but I'm just experimenting to see what can grow in the area (Santiago) I'm going to plant them. I'm planning on retiring or building a summer house there and I enjoy different types of fruits. Some of these take a while to grow and produce fruits other in 1 or 2 years and some in lest time. This will give me time to plan and see what would survive. Thank you all for helpful info.

p.s. I used the Latin name, just in case someone wanted to know what they are. It's easier to find.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Wow !!! Great.

I have tried loads of stuff, but sadly most havent taken. Mostly because of our ignorance....... we tried mirabelles ( some type of small green prune that we love, my parents have a tree in the garden ), quite a few times. Even got the seeds to germ. Then someone back in europe pointed out that lots of fruit trees needed to "hibernate" in winter. And sure enough mirabelle trees need to.

Anyway on the "legal " side.
Years ago we sent boxes, through a "money sender" who send containers by boat from switzerland. ( well by road than boat, I suppose:nervous:) In them we put loads of commercial seed packets of flowers and vegetables. We had to fill in a form with everything in the boxes, which we did. No one said anything.

Now we just bring them over in the suitcases. ( kind of a problem transiting through the states ).

We have now calmed down on planting stuff and are now "concentating" on local flowers, vegs and trees. ( I suppose that after all there are reasons for some stuff to grow amd other not:surprised ).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bring ALL YOU WANT, I DO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We eat mangos, & avocados, & coconuts, from the trees that I planted from seeds over 12 years ago.
"Patients" is a VIRTUE!

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
And the Figs as well - much better to take fig cuttings, they grow well here.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
sunflowers....seeds? govt's dont want you to harvest seeds yourself...and then bring them to another country...an invasive species....and their is plenty of that going on....i read national geographic and you will be surprised....