Guy robbed on his Moto in La Mulata

A middle age man was driving down the main road in La Mulata on his moto today in the early afternoon and was confronted by 2 men on a moto with Full Face Helmets. One had a gun and the other man had a knife. They took his backpack and the man is ok.

No there is no news link, just doing my part in warning people!

The man went to the police, not sure what happened after that.

It is always odd when I see Doms with Helmets on the NC!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A middle age man was driving down the main road in La Mulata on his moto today in the early afternoon and was confronted by 2 men on a moto with Full Face Helmets. One had a gun and the other man had a knife. They took his backpack and the man is ok.

christmas is fast closing in, Harley. keep your eyes peeled. things are tough, and folks are desperate.

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
Police probably asked this poor guy for some money for gas as usual. Its always funny to me - you have been robbed and the very next moment police is trying to do the same with you.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Yes I saw that on Facebook. My partner has warned me about moto's and drive up robbings. When I am on his bike he locks all our stuff in the seat. It is not exclusive to moto's and he has told me that even more common than motos a car will pull up beside, gun pointed, forces bike to stop, guy gets robbed, someone else from the car leaves on the bike.... This happens ALOT to Dominicans and I never see it reported.

I also remember being in DR and my Dominican Partner did not want to walk to 2 blocks on the Malecon to a restaurant after dark because he was scared. He was nervous in La Vega too. I notice with him if he is outside of his areas - he tends to seem nervous. I think if it is his country, where he has lived his whole life - and he is getting nervous outside of areas where he has lived, then I have even more of a reason to be and I try to proceed accordingly.

I tell you (knock on wood) - in 14 years I have never had anything happen to me and here in terms of robbery and I think are the common themes:

1. I never live outside of the core batey and always near lots of people - after the age of 26 I stopped considering the south side of the hwy for me for a place to live (that is for me - I am not suggesting those with homes there and 10 dogs outside are safe/feel safe).

2. I never use gua gua. The public transportation I do use - I never use anyone I don't know. If I am at a bar I will call a moto concho I know and will not go with strangers, if I use a carito I reserve the whole car for 250RD and again, know the person.

3. I don't get on motos too often with a strap on purse.

4. I don't go out at night or to out of the way areas alone.

5. I avoid places like transportation hubs (bus terminals are a great example) because there are just too many people coming and going. I actually avoid places that are over crowded or where there is no one at all.

Now I am not sure how much of this could have helped the gentleman. I feel badly for him - what a terrifying experience.

Is there anything here that any of you personally do when out and about to improve your safety? I am not talking about at home security - I am talking when you are out and about or with friends and family?

Is there a way to learn from this or be safer as a result? I definitely think handing over the bag is the best 1st line of defence.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
No but it seems like a lot.

I am speaking someone in Cab set up a self defence class at my restaurant in Sosua like what they are doing in Cab. It is going to be off restaurant hours so the restaurant will be closed - there will be no food... it will be straight up but kicking time!!

I am also heading back from Canada this week and I am going to pick up a 100 or so whistles that I will give away free.

The self defence guy charges 500RD per/person. I think I can fit about 15 people if I move tables. I want to guage if there is enough interest before I promote a date. Can you PM me if you or your partner would be interested in a class. If I get enough interest I will book it.

The 500RD will go straight to the guy teaching the class - we are offering up the venue.... I need to learn how to defend myself too =)

Is anyone counting the robberies and muggings in your area?

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I go out day and night alone. Normally carry max. 1000 pesos (most of it hidden), so no big deal if I get robbed.
Got robbed a few times, but totally my stupidity and easily avoidable.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
No but it seems like a lot.

I am speaking someone in Cab set up a self defence class at my restaurant in Sosua like what they are doing in Cab. It is going to be off restaurant hours so the restaurant will be closed - there will be no food... it will be straight up but kicking time!!

I am also heading back from Canada this week and I am going to pick up a 100 or so whistles that I will give away free.

The self defence guy charges 500RD per/person. I think I can fit about 15 people if I move tables. I want to guage if there is enough interest before I promote a date. Can you PM me if you or your partner would be interested in a class. If I get enough interest I will book it.

The 500RD will go straight to the guy teaching the class - we are offering up the venue.... I need to learn how to defend myself too =)

Personally I'd want to know who the guy is before paying anyone anything when it comes to self defense lessons on the North coast. The amount of ex military and ex redneck riggers on the Northcaost, he needs to be up to the job! It's a great idea, but make sure he is good at what people are paying him for!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
His name is Moe and he has come highly recommended by a number of people both here and on Facebook. Do you know him? I will ask him for more background to post.

Personally I'd want to know who the guy is before paying anyone anything when it comes to self defense lessons on the North coast. The amount of ex military and ex redneck riggers on the Northcaost, there is a chance they will probably kick his ass if he is not up to the job! It's a great idea, but make sure he is good at what people are paying him for!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
His name is Moe and he has come highly recommended by a number of people both here and on Facebook. Do you know him? I will ask him for more background to post.

That's cool if he is recommended. I was just mentioning it to avoid red faces, but you seem to be ahead of the game, so cool!

No I don't know him, I live on the other side of the isle and so am safe from danger:smoke:

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Outside of a kick in the nuts or a three stooges type eye gouge you won't get much out of a self defense class ,It takes a lot of training and it's something that you would have to work on regularly .

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I was trained from young age in Martial arts black belt by 23, some pro fights and all that good stuff. 20 some years later and living here I wonder if that confidence is a detriment. If you feel confident in your ability to defend you are more inclined to resist the robbery and possibly end up with a bullet!
If the North Coast has a chance they need to reduce airport tax and step up the fight against crime. So far neither of these resonates with the powers that be, they focus on hotels, ports etc. when travel agents around the world warn people about going there due to the abovementioned.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

You may want to start a gun club to even the score with the robbers!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Outside of a kick in the nuts or a three stooges type eye gouge you won't get much out of a self defense class ,It takes a lot of training and it's something that you would have to work on regularly .

Or get just enough out of it to get cocky enough to get hurt or killed in an altercation.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
It's so scary. It is a given to give up your stuff - your life is more precious than stuff but what next. I think they said in the US if someone trys to grab you fight like hell even if they have a gun because it is your one shot.

There has been tons of discussion on what to do in a home robbery - or how to prevent one in terms of security in the home - but what about the stuff that happens on the street.

I mean what are the scenarios:
- Walk up robbery - pick pocket to aggressive
- Drive up robbery
- Then now the gua gua - flash kidnap style robbery

It would interesting to know what to do in each scenario...

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Someone just told me who it was that was robbed and if it's right I think this may be the 2nd time this has happened to him in a fairly short space of time.