RENEWING RESIDENCY WHEN OVERDUE .. 400p a month ANY MAXAmt

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Just wondering .is there any limit that the 400 p penalty monthly stops ? Or does it just keep accruing ???

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Just wondering .is there any limit that the 400 p penalty monthly stops ? Or does it just keep accruing ???

I guess, they still charge. Look here:

RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA ADULTOS:
011 Deposito y pago de expedientes, (carnet de adulto), Residencia Definitiva 7,600.00 1,000.00
013 Atrasos (por cada mes de vencimiento de la residencia definitiva) 400.00 -
014 Examenes Medicos, (Adulto), Residencia Definitiva 4,500.00 -

Direccion General de Migracion

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
it is 400 for one per month and 700 for the other, according to my lawyer. which will add up. I still can't get my head around the basic costs for renewal, the threads on it do not define if they are temporary renewal fees or not. And like I entioned earlier, this search engine....................................phmph!

I wish someone would be definitive when answering these threads. The costs will not be the same for residency renewal as temporary res renewal, neither will docs required etc. I have no idea which people are talking about when they contribute their experiences and costs.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am only ever talking about permanent residency renewal since this is what i do and all i know of.

700 a month fine is for cedula (also permanent in this case). both will add up continuously. with both the first month after expiry is a grace period, so to speak, to give you time to renew.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Okay thanks for the info .i thought I had read abt a year back or so that there was a cap on the residency So i am corrected , there is A700 a month for cedula ?? Holy Shi...! MIERDE

Last edited:

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Hug ... Whenever a residency always suspect its for renewal ! most here especially if u look at their # of post snd its a decent # are NOT referring to initial residency and cedula ! they are started outside the country and Only at the Embassies of their respective countries ( DR embassy in their home country if there is one )

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I know, I am a resident, I need to renew, I was just stating points as things have changed, and my renewal is a little more complicated this time. I read these threads and find them confusing as people are not clear what status they are before renewal. Anyway, I've found out what I need to, I think. As long as they don't make any stupid changes within the next few weeks.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I lost count on how many reasons I have to never get residency here, but this is another one...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This discussion started with residency and then there is talk about cedula. The fine for not renewing cedula is 700 pesos per month?!! I wonder what all those Dominicans will do that have cedulas expired for years? (But as a point of reference, my assistant renewed hers a couple months ago, got one of the new ones, for no fee at all. I think it was free for a while to trade them in.) I have just been waiting. I should go now?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
700 pesos fine is just for cedulas of foreigners. all old cedulas will expire on the 10th of january 2015. this is a deadline for everyone to exchange the cedula for a biometric one. what will happen afterwards is not clear. so yes, you should go now. foreigners can only get a new cedula in SD office.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
it is 400 for one per month and 700 for the other, according to my lawyer. which will add up. I still can't get my head around the basic costs for renewal, the threads on it do not define if they are temporary renewal fees or not. And like I entioned earlier, this search engine....................................phmph!

I wish someone would be definitive when answering these threads. The costs will not be the same for residency renewal as temporary res renewal, neither will docs required etc. I have no idea which people are talking about when they contribute their experiences and costs.

temporary renewal: Costs for preparing your paperwork ( notary fees plus bank reservas fees, police reports...etc) will vary but it cost me 4000 pesos including all photocopying and photos. In Santo Domingo at the processing center 100 pesos for the renewal form and 35 pesos to make four copies, then 5000 pesos for the renewal fee, and another 1000 pesos for the VIP service for a total of 6135 pesos. Cedula renewal was free, this time. So for me 10,135 pesos for the actual process of renewal, 2000 pesos for gas from Jarabacoa and back, and 1500 to my wife's cousin for being our taxi- we also had a great lunch at his house so the price was pretty cheap. So total for us including a couple of snacks was under 15,000 pesos, so less than 350 dollars US. No late fees involved.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
700 pesos fine is just for cedulas of foreigners. all old cedulas will expire on the 10th of january 2015. this is a deadline for everyone to exchange the cedula for a biometric one. what will happen afterwards is not clear. so yes, you should go now. foreigners can only get a new cedula in SD office.

I did try to renew it in La Romana when it expired, but as you say, they said I have to go to Santo Domingo. Did not go yet. Now I pay...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
since beginning 2012 things changed a lot. Thankfully I got my permanent residency before that. Just renewed for 4 years......its a 4 year then 2 year then 4 year again process. Law requires that the renewal process is completed in 10 days and it works!!! Prices went up sharply from 1st November. Cedula is free right now

I was lazy used a lawyer. They were most insistent that the application was made well in advance of the expiry date......the rules have changed apparently. Overstays are a big part of that practices workload now. Gone are the days you could stay in DR and just pay fines for non compliance with the law.

Perhaps following the residency renewal timetables and visa renewal dates from now on if you want to stay here.

Remember this country is facing huge criticism for their stance in Haitian immigration so it has become a level playing field for all visitors.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The resistance of the people who prefer to call it a fee as opposed to a fine not withstanding...

The past is the past and the future will be different. Change is coming as sure as is the grim reaper. The facts are indisputable. To be here in the DR, foreigners are supposed to have "status" affording by some sort of visa - As a tourist, retired resident, employee, student, missionary or prophet.

In the past and for the most part even today, there exists a loophole that allows people to remain in country for as long as they want. They are permitted to leave only after paying some amount for the privileged of being here longer than their piece of papers says.

A fine or a fee...that's semantics. The cop who hands you a ticket for speeding may say it is a fine or you may claim it is a fee for using the roadway at speeds faster than other people. Who cares? The amount is paid and everyone carries on. Few will stand before a judge to argue that is their "right" to speed just as it would be foolhardy to proclaim here that it is your "right" to be in this country for as long as you see fit because that tourist visa that allowed you to enter this country, clearly states it is valid for only 30 days. No right thinking person can honestly claim that the stated 30 day period of validity is just a suggestion. Ergo, no one can stay as long as they want with impunity.

There may well be a lot of days left where an exit fee may remain an option. Eventually though, everyone without status will be labelled illegal. Everyone without status will find it increasing difficult to live here outside the system. Eventually a new norm will supplant the old one, and when that happens there will be no more discussion of fees vs fines.