airlines/luggage/bikes...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
has anyone brought a bike w/them on the plane lately? what are the requirements? (not the airline fees) but the d.r. entrance fees /free///etc...:eek:
does it have to been broken down in hard cases?
might be better to bring it in near a race day?week?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There are no DR entrance fees for bikes. It's the airline fees you have to worry about.

These fees are arbitrary. You don't need to state it's a bike. You will have to pay the charges for oversize luggage. The way airlines are nickel and diming passengers to death, you may be charged up to $250 for going over the limit half a centimeter. I've seen this with my own eyes at the airport, so don't think it can't happen to you.

Unless you can construct a frame inside a maleta that is within the size limitations (like all the Dominican guys I know who go back home to train and/or race) and get the bike in there, this is where you will pay the fee. And it will be coming and going.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I brought a bike over for my son , it was in the box that it came with , I didn't pay anything at STI .

RGM

Jun 5, 2010
I brought a bike back in September , took it to a bike shop they package it for me. Airline cost 125.00 USD

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
has anyone brought a bike w/them on the plane lately? what are the requirements? (not the airline fees) but the d.r. entrance fees /free///etc...:eek:
does it have to been broken down in hard cases?
might be better to bring it in near a race day?week?

Some airlines have no surcharge for "sporting equipment" and some do. Airtran does not have an extra fee, so it cost me $75 to get it to PUJ. I broke it down myself and packed it into a bicycle box.

Just FYI, if you have a cross or hybrid bike, you need to use a similar sized box, as the tubes make the bike substantially wider than a road bike, and a mountain bike box is too small.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Brought a bike down in September from Toronto on SunWing Tours. Cost $35 dollars to box it up, $30 dollars for the airline fee and no duty upon arrival. It was a used bike not a new mountain bike worth thousands. The lock I bought cost as much as the bike.