anyone want to go to immigration together? I'll drive.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
I am looking for someone to go together with me to apply for my temporary residency/cedula

my spanish leaves a bit to be desired and need help doing this process

I am married to a dominican born US permanent resident and live together here with her

If someone familiar with the process needs to go there or even needs to go somewhere close to there, I have my own vehicle and will drive us there in comfort.

If it's an expert on the process I'll cover lunch too

If it's not someone familiar with the process then at least someone who knows how to get to the office would be
good.

I live in Alameda and work in loyola santo domingo oeste prolongacion de 27

thanks in advance

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
Ok, this may be a weird question, but doesn't your wife speak Spanish??

Lol good question. Yes of course she does but the issue is she is 7 months pregnant and still working every day at our school here in the capital and like most dominicans she has an issue with lines. Especially government lines. Hence I need someone else with a bit of patience to accompany me.
Gracias caballeros

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
personally i am not due to go to immigration but maybe folks from outside SD are and they looking to do their paperwork too. so would you be open to pick someone up from metro/caribe? this could encourage people from outside of town to give you a hand :)

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
personally i am not due to go to immigration but maybe folks from outside SD are and they looking to do their paperwork too. so would you be open to pick someone up from metro/caribe? this could encourage people from outside of town to give you a hand :)

yes I think I could manage that. I have been to both of those stations and think I can find them again. I tenatively have someone to go with me on Monday but we will see.

Thanks for the reply

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
I would rather stick hot needles in my eyes than go to immigration

Yes I can imagine its no picnic. There are a ton of threads on this subject but most that I have read seem to be more about renewals than first timers. As a first timer, going the first day how much money do I need to bring?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Yes I can imagine its no picnic. There are a ton of threads on this subject but most that I have read seem to be more about renewals than first timers. As a first timer, going the first day how much money do I need to bring?

Do you have all the needed paperwork? If not, then I suggest you check out their website Direccion General de Migracion . You'll be able to get the list of requirements and costs there.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012

Bring some extra pesos to grease the H.M.F.I.C and ther is more than one

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Migracion is a stickler for the paperwork. You can pay to have photocopies made onsite, but if you are missing anything, its not translated, notarized, apostilated, or not current enough, then you are done until the omissions are corrected.

You will need several photocopies of your complete passport which must be valid for minimum of six months, longer is better. Criminal record check from your home national police force (with finger prints), letter of guarantee, letter of introduction to the Minister detailing your request for residency and everything else outlined on the website listed above based on your particular situation.

Good luck. Don't get frustrated. This is probably your first of several trips just to get the application submitted.

Good luck.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
Migracion is a stickler for the paperwork. You can pay to have photocopies made onsite, but if you are missing anything, its not translated, notarized, apostilated, or not current enough, then you are done until the omissions are corrected.

You will need several photocopies of your complete passport which must be valid for minimum of six months, longer is better. Criminal record check from your home national police force (with finger prints), letter of guarantee, letter of introduction to the Minister detailing your request for residency and everything else outlined on the website listed above based on your particular situation.

Good luck. Don't get frustrated. This is probably your first of several trips just to get the application submitted.

Good luck.

Yes you are correct. Thank you. After reading all the requirements I realized two things,

1. I dont think I can do this without a lawyer

2. I have to travel back to the US before I can start the process.

I have to get a visa from the Dominican consulate in New York before I can do anything as I entered as a tourist. I am planning to travel back for the holidays. I also need a backround check and apostilled copy of my birth certficate. I cant find mine so I need to get a another from the City hall in the town I was born in New Jersey. (yes I know I'm from Jerzey lol)

My wifes secretary has put me in touch with a lawyer that I met with today and she speaks English and is going to do the whole process for me including the government fees for $1500. $750 upfront after I return with the Visa and other docs needed and $750 when it's done. I think it's reasonable and she seems very knowledgeable and professional.

If anyone needs a recommendation i can pass along her information.

Thanks for the replies and for the info.

I appreciate the help.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Im going to renew my residence the week after next week. If you want we agree a time and we meet there and I will try to help you as much as I can. It gives you the time to get the necessary documents.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
equinn2823,

The first call you make when you get home is to the consulate. Ask how long it will take to get your passport w/visa back once you supply them with all the documents. Ask what fees you will be expected to pay. Get all your documents together and notarized as required. You may have to get some of your documents apostilated and everything will need to be translated into Spanish. Ask the consulate if they provide translation services and how much they charge. If the cost is too high, ask your lawyer the cost of translation. Probably cheaper for the lawyer to do it but that may mean another trip home to get your passport stamped with the visa unless you fedex her the documents and wait at home for them to come back to you.

$1500 is just the beginning, there will probably be additional costs to the DR Govt, the consulate, local/state agencies for documents and record checks.

You are at square one. It is a daunting process, but it can be worked through, just not as quickly as you may expect to be possible. It took me several months to go from where you are to a visa in the passport stage. It took me three weeks just to get a long form birth certificate sent to me by my service oriented Govt. Get a detailed list of everything your lawyer wants you to get while you are at home. If you can apply online for some of the documents you need do so now and have them sent to a family member back home so they are ready for you to pick up when you get there.

Good luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
starting now would be a good idea , methinks

call the Dom consulate in NYC... there is a very helpful woman there....was there on 2007/8

your lawyer in RD (after the $750) should pull together and apostle everything you can here... saves time and $$$
use her to the max so you arrive NYC 'loaded'

start anything you can now

Gringo has just done this.... he is up to speed on this sh!t.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
Im going to renew my residence the week after next week. If you want we agree a time and we meet there and I will try to help you as much as I can. It gives you the time to get the necessary documents.

Thank you for the offer but I have decided to move forward using a lawyer and dont need to go to the immigration office at this time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anthony Quinn....

just an idea, but a 'dry run' at Migracion might not hurt....

get a feel for the ropes.....ask some questions thru Mauricio