British Legion Poppy Appeal

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Royal British Legion Remembrance Poppies are now available from the Fraggle Rock bar in Calle Sin Salida, Sosua. (Calle Sin Salida is the road leading to Playa Alicia and to the On The Waterfront restaurant). Wearing a poppy commemorates those who have died in battle on our behalf and donations received support the Legion's work in helping former members of the forces who are injured or in need.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Lots of rage about this in the UK right now, people being urged not to buy them. More people making waves too much time on their hands, obviously very religious:(

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Lots of rage about this in the UK right now, people being urged not to buy them. More people making waves too much time on their hands, obviously very religious:(

What does this mean? The Royal British Legion has nothing to do with religion. A recent newspaper article stated that the majority of British people felt the commemorations of 100 years since the start of World War One was appropriate.

This is not political, it is not religious, it is supporting our troops. Please buy a poppy.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I bought one of those exposed in Londo n this summer ( as a bkrthday present for an aunt......).

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008

I do not really understand this comment but am concerned that it could, perhaps inadvertently, deter people from donating to this important and uncontroversial cause.

I have just spent the summer in the UK, returning to the DR two days ago, with the poppies. I saw absolutely no evidence of any "rage" or questioning of the continuing importance and relevance of the annual poppy appeal. In fact, the huge number of people visiting the Porcelain Poppy Memorial at The Tower of London (about 4 million at the last count) attests to the widespread continued support for remembrance of the dead and support for survivors which the poppy symbolises.
I hope that the appeal will be supported generously.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Dunno the whole story, but it was on Radio 2 for about 20 minutes, seemed an interview with Vennesa F. Just attention seeker, I doubt will be making much impact on the money made. I caught part of it relating to presenters not wearing them on screen also, for whatever reason.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
In Canada we have the very same poppy drive every year as we approach the 11th of November.
Everybody who is anybody wears a poppy.
Of course, as with anything else these days, there is always a skirmish of one sort or another.
In case you missed it...
On the History Channel on Saturday night at 9 p.m. is the first part of a special on the World Wars...1 and 2.
As an aside...
As a young person way back in the early seventies I had a decent job with the Sunlife Assurance Company of Canada.
The Company provided a free lunch for all its employees every day in the Company cafeteria. It was darn good and a real money saver.
On November 11th they would give everybody about 20 minutes to a half hour to go down into the square and observe the dedications to the veterans of the World Wars...
I had a good friend who worked for the Bank of Montreal. She got the day off.
Well...
Needless to say, I left my good job at Sunlife and went to work for the Bank of Montreal.
lol.
Hey.
One whole day beats 20 minutes all day long.

Buy a poppy.

In Flanders Fields

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
[video=youtube_share;Wq0fF6oY6I4]http://youtu.be/Wq0fF6oY6I4[/video]

sung by Ronnie Drew RIP

written by Eric Bogle

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Does anybody know of anywhere in Santo Domingo that has poppies?

towerpoppies.jpg

Poppies in the Moat - The Royal British Legion.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Thread really needs to be moved to Off Topic, but I will leave for another day or so.

Meanwhile.....

View attachment 1703

Remembrance Day was started to commemorate the fallen of World War I but in reality commemorates the fallen of all wars.

In can be argued that it commemorates the Dominicans who fell in World War II as well and therefore can remain in this forum.

Dominican Republic[edit]
Main article: History of the Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic declared war on Germany and Japan following the attacks of Pearl Harbor and the Nazi declaration of war on the U.S. It did not directly contribute with troops, aircraft, or ships, however 112 Dominicans were integrated into the U.S. military and fought in the war. In addition, 27 Dominicans were killed when German submarines sank four Dominican-manned ships in the Caribbean.[13]

Participants in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
always wished i had spoken further with him on his war days...we had started but then stopped and did not resume..
great (different times ) he was 14 y.o or 15 and flying a war plane...as he said it he joined because there was nothing to look forward to as he was the seventh son...went out and i don't think he ever returned to the family home...got some money in the 50's...lol..

mustang88

Jun 19, 2010
as flyinroom says, in canada, poppies are sold everywhere. by the royal canadian legion......the go on sale oct 1 until remembance day nov.11th. the funds generated by the sale of these poppys are used for many purposes such as helping veterans with legal inquiries about pensions etc...but also education and rememberance in schools so that the kids are better informed of what went on....lest we forget....on a personal note i lived in guelph ontario....went to the same high school as john macrea,and in fact worked for the parks department one summer cutting the grass and tending the flowers at his birthplace .......he was the author of the poem....in flanders fields