Toothmug here again - not a spammer!

jonnotas

Oct 29, 2014
I was banned for being a spammer before I could reply to some questions. My previous name was toothmug and I was asking about advice for a certain dentist which I got a quote from.

I am travelling the Caribbean at the moment and got a quote of $2,000 for the treatment here (Nassau) yesterday.

I fly to Turk and Caicos tomorrow for the weekend and need to spend at least 4 working days for the treatment to be done, and as DR was on our travel list it seems to be the best country for me to get treated.

I didn't make the site myself if that's what's being implied, there have been a couple of mentions of the doctor on this forum in the past, but more questions about him rather than people rating the services they received, which is what I was hoping to find on the original thread I created.

Is it possible for a mod to reopen the initial thread?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry, the thread is gone permanently, I waited longer than I normally would because you had all the signs of a spammer.

The thread title had a .com address in it.

Each and every post you made in the thread repeated the same .com address.

Odd nickname referring to that .com profession.

Add to that an IP address in Nassau, Bahamas.

As Harleysrock suggested, make a phone call to Dental Cibao to get their costs.

jonnotas

Oct 29, 2014
Cibao just got back to me.
Here are a list of prices (which have not been shown on the forum before, apart from the $50 consultation fee):

Root canal is around US$340.00 to 440.00

Crowns Options
a) Zirconia crown $700.00 + post 100.00 = 800.00
b) Metal ceramic crown (porcelain) $515.00 + post 100.00 = 615.00
c) A temporary acrylic crown $200.00 + post 100.00 = 300.00

The work takes a full working week, the same timeframe as Dr.Florentino at dominicandentist.com (remove the link if it's against the rules mod) but Florentino total cost is $460, against $1,050 which is quite a price difference.

Has anybody experienced the cheaper of the two? If I can find unbiased good reviews I would choose the cheaper option but as I said in the deleted thread I'm worried that the reviews on the above site are not independent, and at worst simply made by the site host.

Jan 9, 2004
Here are a list of prices (which have not been shown on the forum before, apart from the $50 consultation fee):

Crowns Options

The work takes a full working week, the same timeframe as Dr.Florentino at dominicandentist.com (remove the link if it's against the rules mod) but Florentino total cost is $460, against $1,050 which is quite a price difference.

Has anybody experienced the cheaper of the two? If I can find unbiased good reviews I would choose the cheaper option but as I said in the deleted thread I'm worried that the reviews on the above site are not independent, and at worst simply made by the site host.

There are at least two other dentists advertising on DR1. Why not call them and get quotes too?

Personally, I think you are evaluating costs the wrong way.

I would make my decision on the cost in my own country versus the cost for equivalent service elsewhere.

The key word is equivalent. Dental Cibao has legions of people here singing their praises....and no one has ever said they were the cheapest on the Island....but many have talked about the money they saved versus their home country...and the quality of the work.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Crowns Options

If it matters and location is important to you, one of the abovementioned is in Santiago and the other Santo Domingo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There are at least two other dentists advertising on DR1. Why not call them and get quotes too?

Personally, I think you are evaluating costs the wrong way.

I would make my decision on the cost in my own country versus the cost for equivalent service elsewhere.

The key word is equivalent. Dental Cibao has legions of people here singing their praises....and no one has ever said they were the cheapest on the Island....but many have talked about the money they saved versus their home country...and the quality of the work.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

agreeing w/ PC2

Any business school, when teaching/discussing pricing & quoting, will advise to get a few prices for the work requ'd.

Throw away the highest and lowest and sift through the rest for the 'value'

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Also, I think you find Dental Cibao give a life time guarantee on their work.

I would pay the extra to get the Zirconia crowns, they are the best available.

As has been said, I would not use price as my primary goal.
The Dental Cibao Clinic is spectacular and you will not find better qualified practitioners in the DR.

Also, I think you find Dental Cibao give a life time guarantee on their work.

I would pay the extra to get the Zirconia crowns, they are the best available.

As has been said, I would not use price as my primary goal.
The Dental Cibao Clinic is spectacular and you will not find better qualified practitioners in the DR.

THIS! ^^^^

Cheap ends up being more expensive in the long run usually!

Aug 6, 2006
I would opt for the acrylic crown at the lowest price, because the post you will not have to do again, and all three of these will look pretty much the same unless you enjoy showing your teeth off, which most people do not do.

The $550 deal is probably as good as you would need.

Nothing a dentist does is actually guaranteed for more than a month or so.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would opt for the acrylic crown at the lowest price, because the post you will not have to do again, and all three of these will look pretty much the same unless you enjoy showing your teeth off, which most people do not do.

Acrylic crowns are usually a lot fatter than ceramic or Zirconia crowns and they are not as strong.

Nothing a dentist does is actually guaranteed for more than a month or so.

Some guarantee their work, so if it chips or breaks, they will repair it free.
You should ask, as many don't guarantee their work.
As I said, I believe Dental Cibao Spa give a life time guarantee on all their implants, crowns etc.

Aug 6, 2006
Acrylic crowns are usually a lot fatter than ceramic or Zirconia crowns and they are not as strong.

Some guarantee their work, so if it chips or breaks, they will repair it free.
You should ask, as many don't guarantee their work.
As I said, I believe Dental Cibao Spa give a life time guarantee on all their implants, crowns etc.

====================================================
Perhaps Cibao would be the best deal.

All crowns would have to be the same size, wouldn't they?