DR1 & SANTO'S AIRPORT

J

james

I just recently returned from another trip to my beloved Santo Domingo and was very impressed with the remodeled/expanded areas of the airport. Do they plan on remodeling the arrival areas? One of my friends asked me why they remodeled the departure areas before the arrival areas. Of course, I could not answer that question. DR One, do you know why?

The same friend pointed out that first impressions are very important.

I remember when the new part of the airport opened. Santo's airport is now well-positioned in Latin America. I haven't been to an airport in Latin America that is as nice as Santo's. The country can be very proud of the progress made there and hopefully it will only get better.

J

Jim Hinsch

Both the arrival and departure areas of Las Americas airport have been remodeled. Included is air conditioning, something that was badly needed. Also, most of the airport is now non-smoking. There are internet access (via credit card and touch screen) kiosks throughout.

On arrival, the main changes are the new baggage carrousels, new immigration cubicles, relocation of the bathrooms, and a new rental car counter where there are about 10 different rental companies.

On departure, new carpeting, new (and very fast) immigration cubicles, greatly expanded departure areas with dozens of modern looking duty free items including the latest in electronic gadgets (priced at 50% more than one can buy off the internet in the USA).

I don't know why they celebrated the renovation already. It still is not done. Many areas are still blocked off and under construction (as of yesterday).

The parking lot is now divided into sections (short term, long term, very long term) with different prices.

Helpful fact: ARRIVING passengers can by duty free items before passing through immigration. Liquor, perfumes, cosmetics, etc. Nothing like picking up a bottle of Tequila Sauza for US$8 (US$30 in the USA) to add a little spice to an evening amongst friends.

San Juan, Puerto Rico is the nicest airport I've seen in Latin America (if that is considered Latin America).

L

Loren

Miami International is the nicest airport in Latin America.
Mexico City has a pretty nice airport as well. They have an ingenious system set up as well that prevents taxis from ripping you off.