Does anybody has experience with Internet coverage in La Romana?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
...besides Casa de Campo (cough...).

I heard Tricom is available etc.? Higuey unfortunately doesn't do it for us (Claro sucks and Bloom is really only good as a backup) so we will move on in the near future...

Thanks!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Is Tricom WIMAX (wireless) available in La Romana? I've had it for years here in Bavaro and am very happy with it. It was problematic a year ago or so but these days it's been very reliable. I get 3Mbps down and around 2Mbps up.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I had Tricom Wimax in Bavaro too. No. It is only available in Bavaro. I am talking about their "real" Internet.

*Well, checking their website nhow Wimax is not mentioned at all anymore. Before it stated Wimax is only available in Bavaro or I just don't find the page anymore...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Maybe it is the question. When you say "internet coverage." I don't know what you mean. The language seems awkward. But if you mean does Tricom offer wired internet service in La Romana to your house, yes they do. Fairly reliable. We have had it for about 6 months. It has only gone down twice for less than a day. The prices are expensive, though. But they offer double the velocity for the same price if you bundle internet and television. Still, we only have 4 mb. It is reliable. Right on 4 mb when we check it. You can pay for faster.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks. With coverage I mean is it available for the whole town or only in certain areas? And are there other providers besides Tricom and Claro?

Orange and Viva I wouldn't want for free though...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I would guess there are places in La Romana where they won't be able to provide you service. I am also sure they won't be able to give you a map that shows where : ) But, if you give them an address, they can tell you if service is available. They have a toll free (sin cargo) telephone number you can call for info. It is on their web page. If your Spanish is not good, just say no hablo and they will transfer you to a guy who speaks English. They are very helpful.

But, of course, the real customer service is just like everything else here - they don't show up on the day they say they will to connect your service, the guy forgot his tools on the first visit, but came back the same day with tools. Etc.

I do know Claro also has service in La Romana, but looking at Tricom television and internet together Tricom was a little better for us. TV channels, price etc. We pay $2450 pesos per month for "superior" tv (no HD) and 4 mb internet. There is one higher tier of TV with HD, more channels, etc. Costs more. They also have a kiosk at Jumbo, you can ask questions, or order service. The people on the phone know more though.

I don't know much about other providers, I do know Aster does provide tv service, but apparently not internet. I think their tv would be ok, they have a web site. Appears to say internet only is Santo Domingo, but I have not talked to them.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The contract with Tricom is for 18 months, they only bring this up at the end after you have signed! Then they write on the contract they told you this. I don't know if there is a shorter time they can offer you. Ask.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The contract with Tricom is for 18 months, they only bring this up at the end after you have signed! Then they write on the contract they told you this. I don't know if there is a shorter time they can offer you. Ask.

Yep, I know. Same in Bavaro. This is normal for Claro. tricom etc.

Feb 7, 2007
I had an office in La Romana. Claro is very good there.

Something about Claro on the East coast:

In Bavaro, you can technically get fiber to the home with Claro. In Romana you can easily get 10-15 megs internet virtually anywhere as they have "Outside DSLAMs" all across Romana, connected with Fiber Optics In Higuey it's all old copper even on the backbone network.

I agree with you that Claro in Higuey sucks ... but it's not their fault. La Alcaldesa (Karina) and her gang family Amable has had Claro stopped from installing any new networks, asking for tens of millions of pesos in "permit fees" which Claro is not willing to pay. Just ask any Claro technician. According to one of their field supervisors, Claro had to pay like 6 million pesos in bribes (a/k/a permit fees) just to wire fiber optics to La Sirena Multiplaza.*

La Romana options:
Claro (very good, at least form my experience)
Tricom DSL - where they have coverage, which is limited to about 40% of La Romana
Wind Wimax - should work well

* I know half of their technicians, I have a ticket opened every 10-15 days ...

Last edited:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I had an office in La Romana. Claro is very good there.

Something about Claro on the East coast:

In Bavaro, you can technically get fiber to the home with Claro. In Romana you can easily get 10-15 megs internet virtually anywhere as they have "Outside DSLAMs" all across Romana, connected with Fiber Optics In Higuey it's all old copper even on the backbone network.

I agree with you that Claro in Higuey sucks ... but it's not their fault. La Alcaldesa (Karina) and her gang family Amable has had Claro stopped from installing any new networks, asking for tens of millions of pesos in "permit fees" which Claro is not willing to pay. Just ask any Claro technician. According to one of their field supervisors, Claro had to pay like 6 million pesos in bribes (a/k/a permit fees) just to wire fiber optics to La Sirena Multiplaza.*

La Romana options:
Claro (very good, at least form my experience)
Tricom DSL - where they have coverage, which is limited to about 40% of La Romana
Wind Wimax - should work well

* I know half of their technicians, I have a ticket opened every 10-15 days ...

OK. Thanks! :) Do you happen to know the names of the better residential areas in La Romana? Not Casa de Campo though, that is out of our league...

Searching for rental offers online on all the usual sites I only can find very little if anything for Higuey and La Romana. La Romana always comes up Casa de Campo...

Feb 7, 2007
Buena Vista Norte is probably the best sector around Romana after Casa de Campo. It is right before the bridge, when coming form Casa de Capo.
There are several quit sectors spread around La Romana, I had office in a residential sector called "los camioneros" which is two streets north of Carretera a Zona Franca.