Motorcycle Purchase - Help Please

MauriceNS

Jun 2, 2014
Hello

I am looking for some guidance on buying a motorcycle. I am planing to buy a motorcycle in the next few days from a store, not directly from a person...and I have a few questions. I have been through the forums here, but haven't found clear information so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am here on a tourist VISA, can I buy a motorcycle in my name with my passport? (guy at shop says yes, I don't need residency/VISA))
My driver's license from Canada is valid for 90 days, so I should be ok while I am here.
- What can I expect to get for paper work. I was told I would get original ownership (matricula), and could go back a week later for the plate registration (or something dealing with plates). I guess I will get a temporary one for a week?
- Once I have purchased, I can take the ownership info to an insurance place in Carabete or Sosua and pay $500 pesos for 1-year insurance on the bike.

Does this sound right? Is there anything I am missing or should know about?

All relevant advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS I don't need a lecture on how dangerous it is to drive in DR, well aware already.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
yep sounds about right.

when you get the bike, they send off for the number plate....if you get it in two weeks you have done well.

lots of insurance shops, you need this card/document.

which part of the country are you in?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I bet the shop/retailer can help w/ the insurance.

all else sounds right.... anybody can buy... no residency needed

ditto on CobraBoy

MauriceNS

Jun 2, 2014
I am in Sosua. I will need the temp card/document to get insurance? Or have to wait for number plate?

Will also PM Corbraboy...thanks all.

yep sounds about right.

when you get the bike, they send off for the number plate....if you get it in two weeks you have done well.

lots of insurance shops, you need this card/document.

which part of the country are you in?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hello

I am looking for some guidance on buying a motorcycle. I am planing to buy a motorcycle in the next few days from a store, not directly from a person...and I have a few questions. I have been through the forums here, but haven't found clear information so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am here on a tourist VISA, can I buy a motorcycle in my name with my passport? (guy at shop says yes, I don't need residency/VISA))
My driver's license from Canada is valid for 90 days, so I should be ok while I am here.
- What can I expect to get for paper work. I was told I would get original ownership (matricula), and could go back a week later for the plate registration (or something dealing with plates). I guess I will get a temporary one for a week?
- Once I have purchased, I can take the ownership info to an insurance place in Carabete or Sosua and pay $500 pesos for 1-year insurance on the bike.

Does this sound right? Is there anything I am missing or should know about?

All relevant advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS I don't need a lecture on how dangerous it is to drive in DR, well aware already.

Thanks for any help in advance!!
You're on the right track. The dealer may also sell you insurance, but be aware it is ONLY a tiny 3rd party liability policy, and won't cover you, a passenger or damage & theft of the bike.

Consider redundant anti-theft devices.

It may take a while for the matricula to get to you. Just keep COPIES of your sales documents in case you get stopped.

Good luck!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
all you need is a passport (phot proof of ID) and the cash. I have bought a couple of bikes there.

good point about the insurance, it will not cover theft and the dominicans will steal anything at anytime, so make sure you have a chain, or even an movement alarm, get one of amazon if need be.

nobody leaves bikes out overnight unless you have good security.

I can't remember the name of the shop down in puerto plata on the RHS but they have a huge selection of bikes and a full set of TVS apache spare parts should you need them. not many western style repairshops on the north coast.

aha, name of shop is 'lucillo doming' see here... http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/133535-tvs-apache-spares-sosua-puerto-plata-region.html

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ive bought a bike...paid for it and drove it. then insurance. plate and title come delivered by bike messenger...forgot how long it takes.... title comes in the mail..... i was sorry i bought that bike but ive made mistakes before and will again.... but i wanted it bad didnt need it really never drove it much just another chinese piece of junk...still going ...