How far you need to live from the ocean to be save from corrosion?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Checking some places in La Romana on Google Earth. One residencial seems to qualify. But it is only 2 to 3 miles from the shore.

Is this sufficient to not be affected by salty air? Am afraid my expensive Computer equipment gets damaged...

Never lived or thought about living that close to the ocean.

Thanks!

Aug 6, 2006
I suppose you could judge the amount of salt in the air by observing the prevailing winds, the smell of salty air, and the degree of corrosion on zinc roofs.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
don't forget... rainfall is salty too....

I think you need a bigger distance than you expect....
I cover my electronics when absent

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hard to avoid

Is this sufficient to not be affected by salty air?

It is not only 'salitre' which damages electronics but also the relatively high humidity combined with high temperatures.
We are about 5 km from the sea and yet still get corrosion on metals and see damage on circuit boards.

donP

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I suppose you could judge the amount of salt in the air by observing the prevailing winds, the smell of salty air, and the degree of corrosion on zinc roofs.

Sorry, but on Google Earth? Does it come now with scent? ;)

I hope there ain't any Zinc roofs where I want to look.

When personally at the location, I guess yes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
kansas? seriously, if not salt then sun and humidity. key word is maintenance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
regular use is helpful too..... the bit of heat generated is an aid

I too am high up...300' and 1/2 mile inland..... still can have issues

donP is waaaay up there and a good distance from water
if he has problems.......

air & salt are pervasive.....
how do you escape that on an island ?

I don't think you do..... like many things in RD, you adapt

May 12, 2005
I don't think that you could ever be far enough inland to be safe from this...............

MV5BOTE2OTk4MTQzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODUxOTM3OQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We are miles from the sea, up in the hills.
But we still have small corrosive problems ( humidity I think..... ), with tools, bars, gate......
But the worst problem is dog pee...... unbelievable I know...... but it gnaws through everything. Hinges on " door bar" thingys even gave in.......

Of course electronics ares safe from that........ ants are sometimes a problem for electronics. A couple got into a tablet of mine and died there behind the screen. I left a laptop ( m7nus the hard drive ) in a closet for over a year and ants were coming and going from it. God knows what they need from inside a laptop........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we paint the house inside and out every two years or so. same for irons/gate. current motor is a second one, btw. cars need to be washed and waxed regularly including being washed underneath. electronic components do not last long (that's down to power issues as well). we live close to the ocean but i do not think there is escape from this.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I live direct oceanfront. Electrical outlets and bulb sockets go quickly on the balcony. Everything else is rust proof. I tried a ceiling fan and barbecue grill. Both lasted under a year. Inside is fine as windows are rustproof and house is always closed. No problems with anything. Balcony only for enjoying the breeze and ocean sounds. Car rusting can be a problem also.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
I currently live in Boca Chica, I live around a mile away from the sea, corrosion has never been a issue with us, of course not significable, we changed our appliances around every 10 years, which is actually really good.
I do recommend to once in a while clean them with water and baking soda, keeps corrosion away.
also our cars have never been affected by rust.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
on the water is brutal... sand cakes on screens.... appliances last a shorter time.

insects are never ending.... get a cat or two

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
I have a steel lawn chair which is 50 years old and not a bit of rust. I live 3 k from the ocean. Anything made of iron is shot in 4 years. Buy cheap and that's what you get!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Checking some places in La Romana on Google Earth. One residencial seems to qualify. But it is only 2 to 3 miles from the shore.

Is this sufficient to not be affected by salty air? Am afraid my expensive Computer equipment gets damaged...

Never lived or thought about living that close to the ocean.

Thanks!

We live what would be considered close to the ocean. We live aboard on a boat that sits in it. We do not have issues with our laptops, or cell phones unless you count.the times the phones fall out of.my pocket into the water. The only.issues we have with our electronics which include gps/chartplotter, depth finder, radar, wind indicator, ssb & vhf radio, and flat screen television is outside on the antenna connections. Not the devices.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We live what would be considered close to the ocean. We live aboard on a boat that sits in it. We do not have issues with our laptops, or cell phones unless you count.the times the phones fall out of.my pocket into the water. The only.issues we have with our electronics which include gps/chartplotter, depth finder, radar, wind indicator, ssb & vhf radio, and flat screen television is outside on the antenna connections. Not the devices.

Good to know! :)