Are there many butterflies in the RD?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I see these mariposa creatures fluttering about in our garden but am puzzled, I know mariposa means both butterflies and moths (mariposas de noche)but when I were a lad I learned that butterflies perch with their wings together vertically and moths with their wings flat open. All the mariposas in our garden perch with their wings wide open. Are they butterflies or moths? Explanation please.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
There are lots of them on the "prairies" btwn La Romana and Pedernales.... :)

...after each trip to there on the Autovia del Este I need to scrap tons of them off my windscreen:mad: :tired: And do they stick. Super pegajoso...

Next time I will count the species as far recognizable... :D :bunny:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Around our house [south coast, west of San Cristobal] we have a lot of smaller butterflies, mostly yellow/buttercup in color, but some are white and once in awhile I'll see a larger type like the Monarchs in US.

Early this year, a surprising number of dragonflies too.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The National Botanical Gardens in Santo Domingo has opened an area dedicated to butterflies. There is also a dedicated area in the Baiguate Center in Jarabacoa.

Aug 6, 2006
I thought moths were "polillas" and butterfles were "mariposas"

Are there any lightning bugs in the DR? I have never seen any.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Orange, yellow, blueish, white, spotted, big, small.......loads of d7ffrent butterflies in my garden.

Lots of dragonflies too, they hunt like fighter planes, real impressive......

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I see these mariposa creatures fluttering about in our garden but am puzzled, I know mariposa means both butterflies and moths (mariposas de noche)but when I were a lad I learned that butterflies perch with their wings together vertically and moths with their wings flat open. All the mariposas in our garden perch with their wings wide open. Are they butterflies or moths? Explanation please.

They can usually be differentiated by their antenne. There are some exceptions and I believe a third type.

I used to collect and display them. I still have the collection.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We have a resident giant moth - it's beautiful but somewhat disconcerting when it decides to flutter around when the ceiling fan is on.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Last weekend here in Cabarete I was out by the pool and at any time there were 20-30 flying by in one direction overhead. It would take about 20 seconds for them to pass out of sight. This went on for hours. I can't imagine how many in total. Small light yellow and a few white. It was like a migration. The ones that flew toward the building next door (instead of in front of it) would go up and over instead of around. It was a rare windless day here and I guess they had places to go.

May 29, 2006
I've seen Monarchs in the DR in the winter, which was a surprise since I thought they all made their way to Mexico. Also seen tons Heleconia Zebra Wing butterflies. There is a big black moth on the island called Brujas by the locals. It's thought they can make you sick if they land on you. About a 5" wing span with some interesting highlight colors.

4433287679_c8a5c9450e_z.jpg

But if you look on any tree in the day, you'll see plenty of anole lizards, and at night, you'll see geckos. There are lots of predators out there for the butterflies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've had this bruja moths at home few times, as big as my palm. they rest quietly close to the ceilings. cats like to watch 'em in vain hope they would suddenly fall.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks everybody I am now wiser. I must study more closely, there is one with black and yellow stripes from the front parallel with the body.

May 29, 2006
That would be a heliconia zebra wing. The stripes can be white, yellow or orange depending on the species:

37.jpg

I think a butterfly house would do great in the DR along with plenty of foliage and orchids. I went to one in Massachusetts and they had like 50,000 butterflies and more than 100 species. They were everywhere.