Question about arriving in POP with our dog

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
It's been 4 years since we have brought a dog with us for our usual 5 month winter stay. I have done a search but would like to hear from someone who has arrived at POP airport to verify that we have everything we need. We will have an International Certificate of Health and a Vaccination Certificate that shows a rabies shot given in the last 4 weeks and that shows the other required vaccinations up to date.

Our vet told us that some countries needed the certificate of health and vaccination certificate stamped by a government office where we came from (Canada). I don't remember needing these documents certified or stamped. Do we need to bother doing this?

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
When we arrived with our 2 dogs they also told me I should have had a gov't stamp but I just shrugged my shoulders and said "no espanol" and he took our money and waved us thru. That was 2 years ago. Last May we had a puppy delivered by my sister in a crate under her seat,- no stamp--no problem. I would have an extra few pesos in case you need to smooth the way if anyone hassles you.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
or if your not sure give 10$ or approx. he's a civil servant and way out of the money that an airport makes...
i always keep real good track of my cash when traveling... do some sorting in plane..known what you need ...and where it is. i carry a ten for immig. two or three 5's and a twenty with my passport....(not to give to passport inspector...just separate... and a five /six singles in my left pocket...
sometimes a guy gets me right thru customs and no check i give 10$ a five and singles...(he's gotta split with others...) next guy gets 2-3$ us......sometimes i give them a five pesos note from the old days...lol...they go crazy... i say 5dollars domincan...they laugh.....

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
You have all you need for the POP airport. You will have to pay an inspection fee for the animal. Not expensive, around 400 pesos per animal. That's it and you're good to go.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If some people who arrived at POP were asked for the stamped documents, I think I will get them stamped to reduce anxiety on the flight. It is enough of a production flying with a dog so no need to add to the drama. Thanks everyone.

ejl293

May 29, 2012
I have a question--Do they bring your dog out to the luggage carousel at POP? If not where?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If some people who arrived at POP were asked for the stamped documents, I think I will get them stamped to reduce anxiety on the flight. It is enough of a production flying with a dog so no need to add to the drama. Thanks everyone.

Just remember when you return to Canada in 5 months to get to the airport a little earlier. You will need an International travel document from a Dominican vet and need to take it to the office at the airport before you check in. Also bring the document they gave you when you first arrived and the dog was allowed into the country. This office will approve your documents and you can now travel with the pet.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I arrived last Saturday @ AZS

400 pesos... a vet's certif - not stamped
all my shot documents

Puppy was vaccinated Aug 12......
Health certif needs to be 7 days or less... from a vet

Thats all I did

The crate comes out on the belt at SDQ and AZS.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have never seen the 'oversized' area in RD.... it all seems to come out the belt
Golf clubs, boxes, dogs..... everything

The oversized area must be undersized here

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
well, let me correct the above statement

My wife arrived y'day at the new POP airport - with golf equipment

The new airport has an oversized area......
y'day, nobody seemed to able to find the key to it..... but there is one there

Sorry to mislead.... if I did