Time Change

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't forget that it is one hour later here now compared to EST in the US. All TV is one hour later.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I stand corrected. Tough to know what day it is here. :squareeye

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
DR is on EST until tomorrow then AST. When you put your clocks ahead an hour then its back to EST. We don't change our clocks the time zone changes..........

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Many years ago they tried to implement Daylight Savings in the DR. So they turned the clocks ahead and when it used to be 9AM it was 8AM. No one was in work at any Government Office or any other place at 9AM .

It lasted about 3 days and they turned the clocks back to normal.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
In true Dominican fashion, if something doesn't work once it will never work. It's better to give up on it right away, than to try and tweak it. No Thomas Edisons here. It must have been that crushing hit to the GDP from those "three" unproductive hours.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
20rpyci.jpg

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
DR is on EST until tomorrow then AST. When you put your clocks ahead an hour then its back to EST. We don't change our clocks the time zone changes..........

Time zones are determined by longitude - ie. distance from the Universal Meridian which is at Greenwich, England.

The DR is always on Atlantic Standard Time, which is GMT minus 4 hours. Eastern Standard time is GMT minus 5. When the US is on DST, clocks go one hour ahead, so Eastern becomes GMT minus 4 instead of 5 - which is the same time as the DR. Since the DR doesn't use daylight savings, during the summer the DR and Eastern time are the same. It has nothing to do with time zones changing, but everything to do with simply moving clocks forward.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Time zones are determined by longitude - ie. distance from the Universal Meridian which is at Greenwich, England.

The DR is always on Atlantic Stcandard Time, which is GMT minus 4 hours. Eastern Standard time is GMT minus 5. When the US is on DST, clocks go one hour ahead, so Eastern becomes GMT minus 4 instead of 5 - which is the same time as the DR. Since the DR doesn't use daylight savings, during the summer the DR and Eastern time are the same. It has nothing to do with time zones changing, but everything to do with simply moving clocks forward.

So GMT minus 4 on DST is EST which is the same as AST.......?? AST doesn't move their clocks back and forth....???or does AST become GMT minus 3 which, therefore, we are not on.....???? I know time zones are governed by lines of longitude......

I know when I call my parents in BC in the summer we are 3 hours apart and winter we are 4 hours apart....

Could you GMT that one for me please? No worries.....just havin some fun with the lingo....lol

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

DR is always on AST. Places nearer the equator don't benefit from DST as much as places with real seasons.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I've been on Dominican time since Jan 3rd so now I get an extra hour of sleep but not for too long. ;)

I haven't posted for a while so......

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I remember that!

It was pretty chaotic. I remember the airlines struggling with it - they listed incorrect departure and arrival times and had to rebook many passengers who arrived an hour late for flights. It was a mess. It took a few days for the change to be widely known but I think I remember it stayed in place for the entire season. It has not so far reappeared.

Many years ago they tried to implement Daylight Savings in the DR. So they turned the clocks ahead and when it used to be 9AM it was 8AM. No one was in work at any Government Office or any other place at 9AM .

It lasted about 3 days and they turned the clocks back to normal.