Free internet

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I remeber a post telling us how to get free internet using a blackberrt phone as a modem. Is this still possible. Does anyone know?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
You need an Android or iPhone (if it still works).

You go to Claro and put the Blackberry plan on your Android/iOS but you don't bring the phone to the store, only give them your number.

Turn the phone into a mobile hotspot.

Feb 7, 2007
It does not work any more, all prepaid plans are now data limited, 1 day plan gives you 100 megs only, then it's cut off. Same for Android or BB plans. I tried this about a month ago, or so.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i believe(hope) that as the world changes one individual comes along and sells us a device that can pick up the internet in anyplace,spot or house...it would be good for a year...maybe 79$...he will sell millions of them... if he sold 5 million of them ..he might have enough $ to retire....and by then the other comp. would have a chance to never let this happen again....

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I (and surely others) have posted that info on a prior thread somewhere. That Claro deal is long gone...as Rubio stated they no longer offer unlimited data. grrrrrrrrr

The best bang for your buck on prepaid is to get Claro internet on an android phone for $240 pesos for the week. That will give you 700mb of data that you could share as a mobile hotspot from your phone.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Can you get the Claro weekly prepaid internet for android phone at any Claro outlet?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You should be able to at any location that processes new activations. You need your unlocked phone, your passport and some pesos. You'll get a Claro sim card for prepaid voice and can have them add prepaid data at the same time.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Thanks very much. Another question? Can they add data to the Claro sim card that I already have and then I can keep the same phone number?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
One day it will be free for all and fast. Its not a luxury anymore. Probably never free in the DR but free in the real world. A number of plans in the US offer it

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
did not finish. Offer it as tethering via phone but its a small amount and when you call and want more its expensive. T mobil gives me a few mgb every month as a come on.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Zoom, there are ways around that tmobile limitation on tethering. They used to offer it for free until they got hip to charging for it. I've had my own free unlimited tethering since then ;)

les1

Feb 1, 2007
The post I remember described how to configure a smart phone to use as a modem when pluged into a computer enabling a free internet connection.

Feb 7, 2007
The post I remember described how to configure a smart phone to use as a modem when pluged into a computer enabling a free internet connection.

The connection was never "free". You had to top up BB account and use BB prepaid. The "difference" was that while Android or Iphone connection had data limit, BB full prepaid plan had no daily data limit. By activating BB full and using it in BB/Iphone/Android via tethering or myfi (basically setting up and using APN) the phone was converted into a modem, and could download movies, youtube, etc. at a comfortable 2 mbps speed with no daily data limit.

There was never such a thing as "free" Internet with Claro in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only thing free with Claro is a copy of your bill. And more often than not you never receive one.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Damn I went and got an Iphone 4 unlocked in the hopes of using it as a wifi hotspot to run my computer when we are down foer two months in Feb.......