Netfix Question

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Just brought down a Roku box.Netflix pops up and lets me choose a movie.I hit play and nothing happens.It goes back to the selection page. What do you suppose I'm doing wrong?Thank you

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
In the DR the netflix feed is much different from that in the US; not absolutely sure but bet ya that there is a block on netflix feed via Roku. I have a VPN account that I use to internet connect if I want the US Netflix feed, same for amazon prime or hulu or any other US based video feeds (ABC, NBC, CBS)

May 29, 2006
I just got Roku in the states, but I'll prob keep my Google cast to work around blocks like that when I'm down in the DR. There are threads on how to get around country blocks. Maybe you can make your IP address on your ISP look like it's in the US?

You might try removing the channel and re-installing from a local computer..

mudman24

Jan 8, 2014
We use Netflix and it works fine....Hulu plus also works great. We get our internet from Delancer in Sosua and for some reason my ip address says Miami so maybe that's why it works. On the other hand I use the NFL gamepass to watch games online. It is only for out of the US markets but it works on my computer. Who knows?

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
I have Claro internet. Maybe thats the reason its blocked. Strange, I did hear people getting Netflix perfectly and even heard that it was being received legally by Netflix itself.

Jan 17, 2009
You should get Netflix here without the need of a VPN or smart dns. That'll be Netflix Latin American and not the US programming. Not bat at all; just different US shows and with Spanish subtitles. Try it in your computer and you'll see. Are you able to see any other channels?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Netflix works fine with Claro. In combination with unotelly it will give you Netflix of all available regions and without unotelly it will give you Netflix of Mexico. It's more likely to be an issue with roku than with Netflix.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Just brought down a Roku box.Netflix pops up and lets me choose a movie.I hit play and nothing happens.It goes back to the selection page. What do you suppose I'm doing wrong?Thank you

You're using Netflix. Try Download music, movies, games, software! The Pirate Bay - The galaxy's most resilient BitTorrent site
Great selection, and better price.. FREE!

I forgot that You will need a download client. Vuze Bittorrent Client - The Most Powerful Bittorrent Software on Earth

Last edited:

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

Well that def does work, but you are HIGH risk for infecting a Windows pc with a virus on The Pirate Bay (for the Mac crowd that is pretty much a non issue).

If movies and TV shows are your thing, you're better off using safer alternatives. For Windows/Mac/Linux use Popcorn Time. If your on Android you can't beat Showbox. The best part is both of those apps will stream the movie/tv show to your device and you can start watching it right away.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Well that def does work, but you are HIGH risk for infecting a Windows pc with a virus on The Pirate Bay (for the Mac crowd that is pretty much a non issue).

If movies and TV shows are your thing, you're better off using safer alternatives. For Windows/Mac/Linux use Popcorn Time. If your on Android you can't beat Showbox. The best part is both of those apps will stream the movie/tv show to your device and you can start watching it right away.

The vuze client makes things much safer for windows users, but Linux OS or mac is not an issue. There are also trusted uploaders on the site and using them lessens the risks even more. Same as not opening an email from a unknown source. I also like the fact that I get movies before they are ever released for video sales.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
I am not trying to watch Netflix on the computer. I am trying to watch it on TV via a Roku box! Any suggestions?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
didn't read all responses but I know the answer. you cannot change dns settings on chromecast or roku hdmi dongles. they are hardwired in it. so you cannot see american netflix on the devices. you will see latin american netflix. so if a program is not listed in latin american netflix, you will get this error message. but if the program is available in latin American netflix, the program will stream. seems like you have american netflix on your laptop or cell phone through some trick but so happens when you try to cast it to dongle, the roku tries to stream the netflix program by itself and then it gets stuck because the stream is not available on latin american netflix.
both netflix and roku will work flawlessly in USA but here you would need to do additional tricks if you are in DR. your wifi would have to be running on vpn for you to get roku streaming in american format. usegoogle search and see what people are doing.
AZB

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Te US Unblocked service gives you full instructions as to how to set up your box Roku to stream US Netflix. Your problem in a nutshell is your DNS and the Roku box does not permit you to change the pre-programmed DNS settings unlike the Apple TV box which is the best option for viewing US content outside of the US..

How to Setup | Unblock-Us - smarter faster VPN

You will have to use this service which is brilliant value at $4.99 per month and you can have as many devices as you like connected.

Jan 17, 2009
Of course you can watch Netflix on Roku. I had a Roku and watched it, but if you want to watch US channels, in addition of having a VPN or Smart DNS connected in your router (unlike Apple TV you can't change the DNS in your Roku device), you need someone in the US to register the Roku with each channel you want to watch here. That's what I had to do, a real pain in the butt. Now, if you have a VPN (not a smart dns service) you can do that yourself form here.

I sent all the information needed to my son; he went to the Roku website and added the channels (Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, etc.) I wanted to it, only then it worked.

Still I don't see why you can't watch Netflix Latin America.

mudman24

Jan 8, 2014
I am not trying to watch Netflix on the computer. I am trying to watch it on TV via a Roku box! Any suggestions?

sorry...forgot to mention that in my previous post that I watch Netflix thru my xbox 360 in sosua with Delancer as internet provider.....we only pay for 2mb download speed at 62/mo and it works great

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
delancer is based in miami......so your service comes from miami,

for vpn I use zenmate which comes with google chrome, this is how i watch uk tv.....

many people also use' hola' which has many other countries you can put yourself in.

good luck.