travel advice

G

Gone Global

We just scored 3 last minute tickets yesterday from Paris-12 days in DR, 23-12 to 04-01. There are 3 of us, my wife speaks fluent Spanish and our son is in 3rd year of Spanish at school..we have nothing pre-booked or prepaid other than the flights. Our budget is around $100 USD a day, all up, for acccomodation, food and transportation. We have done this type of travel many times, and love the adventure and uncertainty that this type of last minute travel creates.

Ideally, we will spend 2-3 days in 4-5 places, primarily on the coast.

Advise would be appreciated on public transportation ie. I have heard it is excellent but we want to cover lots of ground in 12 days and perhaps the schedules/space will slim for the holidays.
Any honest and cheap local car rental companies? I am aware of the benefits of using the majors and have used them in PR, Cuba, and St. Martin on previous trips. But the local National site is not even excepting on-line reservations during the period we will be there and appears to be sold out...wonder if they let you walk out onto the lot to pick out which car you want like in the US....they are good...but at $250 pw (+insurance) kinda blows our budget and we might have to sleep on the beach! Top that off with the fact that many of the airport agents appear to be closing at around 5pm on Sundays.....we land and they are already closed! no on-site auction on that night!!

We need a room for 3 on our first night there...ideally close to the same car rental agencies or public bus terminal, either in town or at the airport....there was an article in the news section of this site about cab fares and the new agreement in place between the unions and the governments...any fixed prices from the airport to town? flagfalls?

Do any of those big all-inclusive resorts have last minute walk in specials for their empty rooms..we will have $USD cash..but not much of it.... always the best way to get a boat up the Nile...but what about DR?

The purpose of this trip is two-fold. We want to see the island and try to get a quick feel...no pun intended, as we will buy rum from the shop and drink it on the beach, ideally with some friendly locals. But I have also been investigating the possiblity of buying RE as well. Any advise on the local market conditions will be appreciated. ('local' being the key word) I'm aware that dual markets exist..perhaps the government maintains and publishes stats...wishful thinking?

Anyway, it appears there is lots of very informed people posting here we would be greatful for help and advise.

You can contact me directly at goneglobal@hotmail.com

L

Loren

gonna be rough

Your hotel is going to cost at least $40 per day in the sticks, a lot more in the city, like double that for 3 people.

You ask for prices from the Airport into town: What town? The D.R. is a good sized country with several international airports.

Forgive my ignorance as it is surely a European term, but what is a flagfall? That word is absent from the American vernacular.

A rental car will cost you at least $40 US per day, usually more.

You should have fun, but it sounds like you will need more cash for 3 people.