Advice on LT hotels needed

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Hello

I am planning to visit Las Terrenas in January 2015 and is hoping anyone can give me some advice on good/decent LT hotels.

When I have been searching on my own I can see that Hotel Tortuga and Hotel Playa Caribe seems to be available when I plan to be in LT. Are these hotels a good deal?

The above hotels seems to be a bit apart from each other so I wonder which of the two is best located? I prefer to be rather close to dinner restaurants and bars.

If you have any hotel suggestions or something else that I should think of, just tell me

Thank you in advance
MM

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Hotel La Tortuga has great food and the French lady who runs it is very nice and friendly. The rooms are evidently very basic, and it is not actually on the beach, it's about a 10 minute walk down a road which is quite dark at night. If you're planning on spending most of the time in the hotel and think you'll eat in, then it's a good choice. If you want a lot of time on the beach or will be walking out to restaurants at night, then I'd rethink.

Alisei has a very good name, but at weekends it gets full of rich Dominicans who tend to be very loud. There is beat music playing at the pool and a swim-up bar, so it isn't great for quiet relaxation. The breakfast buffet can also be a bit of an elbows-out affair. But the hotel has good service, the rooms are nice and the spa is excellent. Alisei is also, in my opinion, too far to walk to the center of town and that section of road does get very dark at night.

I would have a look at Las Palmas Al Mar Residence. It's actually on the beach, you have little houses with a bedroom upstairs and a bedroom downstairs. There is a full kitchen. Breakfast is basic - they just bring some juice, coffee, toast and fruit - but you have the kitchen so you can add your own. There is no music and no bar, so it tends to be quiet. And personally I prefer Popy beach as it is better for swimming, less rocks.

Albachiara is a very family friendly hotel, so it's excellent if you have lots of children, but I would avoid it if you don't.

I'm sure others will have a lot more comments, I stay often in Las Terrenas, always in hotels, and I run a hotel myself.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Thanks for an extensive answer TropicalPaul!

Which area is actually the main area for dinner restaurants and bars? And hotels close by?

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I like Casa Robinson. Nice Apartments with bedroom + living room with kitchenette, under 2000 pesos in high season. Peaceful, beautiful, friendly, good security. 1 min to walk to the beach, 3 min to walk to the Bodega (best salsa- and bachatadancing on the whole north-cost).

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
For dinner restaurants and bars, there is a good selection starting near to the car park which starts on the sea front, opposite the car park on the corner of Liberty Street and Calle Duarte. I like Paco Cabana and just a few doors down you have Yuca Caliente, Italian run and they do great pizzas. Both of these are literally next to the beach but have walls so you don't get bothered by sand.

Round the corner, still on the beach, you have the Fishermans Wharf, which is absolutely full of bars and restaurants, and closeby there is Gaia nightclub. Both of these are very close to La Tortuga hotel which I mentioned also does excellent food IMO. The only drawback from staying there is the dark walk home, so I would suggest either bringing or buying a torch or two.

If you stay at Las Palmas Al Mar, try the Dolce Vita restaurant. I haven't eaten there myself but it is getting very good reviews on Tripadvisor, and I have had good recommendations from friends. It is very close to Las Palmas.

I know there are a lot of other great restaurants in LT, so if you don't get more recommendations here I would suggest Tripadvisor's restaurants section.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
For dinner restaurants and bars, there is a good selection starting near to the car park which starts on the sea front, opposite the car park on the corner of Liberty Street and Calle Duarte. I like Paco Cabana and just a few doors down you have Yuca Caliente, Italian run and they do great pizzas. Both of these are literally next to the beach but have walls so you don't get bothered by sand.

Round the corner, still on the beach, you have the Fishermans Wharf, which is absolutely full of bars and restaurants, and closeby there is Gaia nightclub. Both of these are very close to La Tortuga hotel which I mentioned also does excellent food IMO. The only drawback from staying there is the dark walk home, so I would suggest either bringing or buying a torch or two.

If you stay at Las Palmas Al Mar, try the Dolce Vita restaurant. I haven't eaten there myself but it is getting very good reviews on Tripadvisor, and I have had good recommendations from friends. It is very close to Las Palmas.

I know there are a lot of other great restaurants in LT, so if you don't get more recommendations here I would suggest Tripadvisor's restaurants section.

Best restaurants for the price in Lt, Tre Caravelles, La Yuca Caliente . For lunch try Navias, German Restaurant on the road to Samana just up the road from the turn off to Playa Bonita. Also for lunch, a must is Luis'Restaurant on the beach in Samana. Great grilled seafood and chicken. Swim and have drinks while waiting for your meal.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
.... try Navias, German Restaurant on the road to Samana just up the road from the turn off to Playa Bonita.

Actually Navia's is on the western outskirts of Las Terrenas on the road to Cos?n.
The road to (Santa B?rbara de) Saman? leaves LT to the east (via El Lim?n) or south (over the hills via S?nchez).

donP

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Actually Navia's is on the western outskirts of Las Terrenas on the road to Cos?n.
The road to (Santa B?rbara de) Saman? leaves LT to the east (via El Lim?n) or south (over the hills via S?nchez).

donP

Thanks for the correction I meant to say Coson.