Transit visa for the USA

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Im planning on getting visitor visas for my Dominican wife (common law) and her 8 year old daughter to visit over Christmas to Canada. I want them to accompany me and my 2 year old Canadian born in RD.

I am looking for the best travel deal to save some cash. In order to do this I want to travel direct to Toronto and coming back through the states.

I checked the US embassy site and the transit visa is 160 bucks each, so much for saving.

My question is....If they already have a visitor visa for Canada and are returning home to RD, does US allow travel without the transit visa.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
TIMATIC: Visa/Entry Requirements

National Dominican Rep. (DO) /Embarkation Canada (CA)
Transit USA (US)
Destination Dominican Rep. (DO)

[Visa Information - Transit] USA (US)

[Information For Normal Passports]

Visa required, except for those flying Cathay Pacific (CX)
between Hong Kong and Toronto, via Anchorage (ANC), Alaska.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
You will also need a camp-bed as you will almost certainly be waiting for several hours to get through US immigration, and a very thick skin to put up with the rudeness and arrogance of their atrocious staff. I have flown around the world many times and I am always astonished at how a country which prides itself on customer service can employ such rude staff.

Some things are worth spending a little extra on, and avoiding US immigration is one of these. Fly direct both ways, spend the extra, and you'll have a far more enjoyable break.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The money that you will save in the ticket will spend it applying in the transit visa in USA, depending your location is better take a direct flight from Puerto Plata, Samana, Punta Cana or La Romana on fridays starting November and Finishing in april.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
The only thing that makes transit through US customs bearable for me is that I have Global Entry. Otherwise I would curtail my international travel a lot.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I know this is a little off-topic, but if you fly Delta from Santo Domingo to New York JFK, there is a hidden "Quick Connect" channel that you can use if you have a connecting flight within 3 hours. They don't advertise the fact, but it's an orange colored channel It takes you straight to the front, the last time I walked past a 3 hour long line and was through in ten minutes.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I know this is a little off-topic, but if you fly Delta from Santo Domingo to New York JFK, there is a hidden "Quick Connect" channel that you can use if you have a connecting flight within 3 hours. They don't advertise the fact, but it's an orange colored channel It takes you straight to the front, the last time I walked past a 3 hour long line and was through in ten minutes.

That Doesnt work from Dominican Republic, all airlines at the checkin if you dont have the VISA they dont let you check in, also is a risk for you to be deported in the case you fly if they catch you there and not visa even you are trying to get a conecting fligh.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
when I pass thru the US /..... they regularly see my Cdn passportand tell me to go thru the US line

sort of a 'Canada doesn't count as foreign' attitude

but Global Entry is the key... I can hit the curb in Newark in less than 30 minutes.... from the plane door opening
(from the first few rows)

YYZ - even faster

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
when I pass thru the US /..... they regularly see my Cdn passportand tell me to go thru the US line

sort of a 'Canada doesn't count as foreign' attitude

but Global Entry is the key... I can hit the curb in Newark in less than 30 minutes.... from the plane door opening
(from the first few rows)

YYZ - even faster

Canadians citizens or canadian residents dont need visa to go to USA.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Yes, I realise Dominicans need visas and Canadians don't. The point I was making is that the lines for immigration in JFK are often scary - even for US and Canadian nationals - but if you have a connecting flight you need to get on within 3 hours, you can use the orange Quick Connect channel. Nobody will help you and tell you that this is available of course, but it can be a life-saver if you know it's there.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Why on earth can't american airports do what most european airports do and have a channel by-passing imigration where the passenger goes straight to the departure gate for his next flight? This is why when we fly back to the UK every year we cannot use an american airline even though the pice may be cheaper. Daft I call it!

Feb 7, 2007
Why on earth can't american airports do what most european airports do and have a channel by-passing imigration where the passenger goes straight to the departure gate for his next flight? This is why when we fly back to the UK every year we cannot use an american airline even though the pice may be cheaper. Daft I call it!

And that's exactly what Canada plans to start doing coming 2015! They realized they are missing on a lot of connecting traffic, especially Europe/Central-South America, and Asia/Central-South America.
YVR as global 'hub

The link above talks about YVR (Vancouver) but I guess after its implemented, YYZ (Toronto) won't be far behind.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Because they are a bunch of paranoid morons over there. They use 911 as an excuse to torture people. Best to avoid these airports if at all possible.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Because they are a bunch of paranoid morons over there. They use 911 as an excuse to torture people. Best to avoid these airports if at all possible.

If they were smart can do a simple thing, over the web get all the information prior of the flight for example 30 days before for transit passinger and charge a fee if they want too. problem solved. Candian transit visa is for free, the only dificulty with that is that you have to take the time to apply for the visa.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If they were smart can do a simple thing, over the web get all the information prior of the flight for example 30 days before for transit passinger and charge a fee if they want too. problem solved. Candian transit visa is for free, the only dificulty with that is that you have to take the time to apply for the visa.

Key words here "If they were smart".

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
no answers I liked....probably true but I still don't like them. Bite the bullet and pay more and fly direct

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There used to be "In Transit" lounges for that purpose. All that stopped after 9/11.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There used to be "In Transit" lounges for that purpose. All that stopped after 9/11.

I guess the morons in the US believe that an "In Transit" passenger that has already been screened at his departure point can somehow blow up the Empire State Building from the Transit Lounge.