DR Leaves Inter-American Court of Human Rights

Do you agree with the Constitutional Tribunal's decision to remove the DR?

• Yes

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Constitutional Tribunal (CT) voted today sentence 256-14, effectively declaring unconstitutional the method used to sign the country into the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in 1999. The result of this is that the Dominican Republic no longer forms part of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights.

Do you agree with the CT decision?

What consequences do you think the country might face in the international arena?

What consequences do you think this will have within the country?

The reason the DR left the court was due to the unfair ruling of roughly a week ago giving the DR government 6 months to change its constitution and annul the CT sentence 163-13 that initiated the regularization and naturalization process for illegal and undocumented foreigners. All foreigners that are have not started the regularization process by May 2015 will be subject to deportation.

LISTIN DIARIO article (in Spanish): Rep?blica Dominicana ya no es miembro de la CIDH

May 12, 2005
I agree, right thing to do. Why put up with another outside group trying to interfere with your nation's sovereignty?Again, why does the world want to make Haiti's problems and issues the fault of the Dominican Republic?

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I agree, right thing to do. Why put up with another outside group trying to interfere with your nation's sovereignty?Again, why does the world want to make Haiti's problems and issues the fault of the Dominican Republic?

The world want's the Dominican Republic to be the "SCAPEGOAT" for all of Haiti's ill's. That way the can sleep better at night.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The bigest joke of that court, bedside that they want to tell us who can be Dominican and change our constitution is that the guy that sue Dominican Republic, has fake Dominican papers, according to the papers he showed his brothers said that they dont know him, that his is not his brother and sue him, so that court is not impartial.

Last edited:

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
professional victims

In my opinion and I may be wrong. Haitians need to take control of their country. And the rest of the world needs to stay out of The Dominican Republics business. They were granted an extension to become legal. What more does the world want the Dominican Republic to do? I am a proud Democrat and I will say the Obama let me down on immigration reform. At least the Dominican Gov't did more than he did. Answer this question. If the Haitian Gov't wanted to help their people why are they not giving them the papers needed to prosper. That in no shape or form is the fault of the Dominican Republic. And for all the bleeding heart "LIBERALS" go to Port au Prince and stage a sit in. And stop trying in I must say a failing way to blame the Gov't of the DR...........Sorry for the Rant

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on a more important note, does it mean that the criminals can be beaten up and/or shot without dumbass complains from amnesty international and the likes?

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
The international community is behind Haiti and against the DR. And it all has to do with one thing, and that is race. Dominicans arent African enough, they are in fact too Spanish, thus European, which makes them colonizers and oppressors. Haitians are former slaves from Africa which makes them oppressed victims. That is the real narrative. There really is nothing more that needs to be understood.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
The international community is behind Haiti and against the DR. And it all has to do with one thing, and that is race. Dominicans arent African enough, they are in fact too Spanish, thus European, which makes them colonizers and oppressors. Haitians are former slaves from Africa which makes them oppressed victims. That is the real narrative. There really is nothing more that needs to be understood.

That argument is garbage. Who lost more the slaves that got their own nation or the Indians that were almost hunted to extinction. Less than 15% of Dominicans are Indian. The Haitians just made bad choices on using their vote. So again I ask. Is the Dominican Republic to blame for that?......Not a dig at you kenthedentman.... Some do think that way.

PS. Then the international community should go to Haiti and fix it....If they are so worried.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it has nothing to do with africa/slavery and everything to do with the 2010 earthquake and what-have-you-done-to-help charity terror.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
it has nothing to do with africa/slavery and everything to do with the 2010 earthquake and what-have-you-done-to-help charity terror.

Ok so a country that is already in debt to their eyeballs is supposed to do what?......................

The U.N can fix Haiti's issues. Problem is no real natural resourses other than cheap labor. Let them find oil, gold, or anything that can be traded on the Stock Exchange. And I bet you in less than a year Haiti would be fixed.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The reason the DR left the court was due to the unfair ruling of roughly a week ago giving the DR government 6 months to change its constitution and annul the CT sentence 163-13 that initiated the regularization and naturalization process for illegal and undocumented foreigners. All foreigners that are have not started the regularization process by May 2015 will be subject to deportation.

The original question is flawed because the above analysis is biased - giving an opinion that the court's ruling is "unfair".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Ok so a country that is already in debt to their eyeballs is supposed to do what?.......................

that is irrelevant, you know. help thy neighbour and such. because it is easier to nag others to help than do something yourself. this way you can still feel like you are doing something without doing anything.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
That argument is garbage. Who lost more the slaves that got their own nation or the Indians that were almost hunted to extinction. Less than 15% of Dominicans are Indian. The Haitians just made bad choices on using their vote. So again I ask. Is the Dominican Republic to blame for that?......Not a dig at you kenthedentman.... Some do think that way.

PS. Then the international community should go to Haiti and fix it....If they are so worried.

That argument is total garbage. But that is what is up. The famed pbs special that has been discussed here at length,narrates the problem. The Dominicans embrace their Spanish culture and completely disregard their African heritage. And why shouldn't they. After all, it was Africans who captured and enslaved other Africans. Fast forward a couple of hundred years and look around. Where would you rather come from? Africa or Europe? Where would you rather go back to if you were forced to decide? On the other hand you have Haiti. They killed every European and destroyed everything in a literal scorched earth policy. And now they want to do a soft invasion of the Dominican Republic and the UN is on their side because they can't fix Haitis problems. And the DR has plenty of problems of their own.

But the prism of the international community is pretty twisted.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
that is irrelevant, you know. help thy neighbour and such. because it is easier to nag others to help than do something yourself. this way you can still feel like you are doing something without doing anything.

Made me think of life guard training in the Army. Rule 1 is save yourself first.