My Yahoo email got hacked

buttychunk

Dec 23, 2013
Has anyone of you ever experience getting hacked? I got an email saying a login was made to my account from India. This is so scary because I am very careful in my internet activities. I do not share my login details to anyone, and I only use my private computer and my phone when logging into my accounts. How is this possible?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I dunno, but if it wasn't hijacked in DR then you're probably not going find out here.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The reality of internet use today is pretty straight forward. When you login to your email accounts or your bank, you *must* protect yourself by using a non-USA based encrypted VPN link.

You cannot trust your ISP or simple SSL to protect your login credentials. You should be changing your passwords every month or so. You should be using disposable email addresses for all subscriptions and online shopping accounts.

If you feel that your email account has been compromised. Change your password right away. If possible, use an email client such as outlook, thunderbird or pigeon to collect your mail securely. Web logins are inherently susceptible to SSL and man-in-the-middle attacks. You should not be leaving copies of your email on the server, if you need copies, these should be stored on your personal computer.

You may not have been hacked, someone may have just tired to login using a password they have somehow associated with you or some random attempt or error. Take this opportunity to secure your account with a strong password and take steps to limit your exposure in the future if someone does gain access. If there is no email there to read then you lose no further privacy. All the account can be then used for is spam.

You've read what you should be doing for years now, if you choose not to follow best practices, then you accept the risk.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
...and run a good antivirus program on your PC ASAP, you might be surprised!

buttychunk

Dec 23, 2013
The reality of internet use today is pretty straight forward. When you login to your email accounts or your bank, you *must* protect yourself by using a non-USA based encrypted VPN link.

You cannot trust your ISP or simple SSL to protect your login credentials. You should be changing your passwords every month or so. You should be using disposable email addresses for all subscriptions and online shopping accounts.

If you feel that your email account has been compromised. Change your password right away. If possible, use an email client such as outlook, thunderbird or pigeon to collect your mail securely. Web logins are inherently susceptible to SSL and man-in-the-middle attacks. You should not be leaving copies of your email on the server, if you need copies, these should be stored on your personal computer.

You may not have been hacked, someone may have just tired to login using a password they have somehow associated with you or some random attempt or error. Take this opportunity to secure your account with a strong password and take steps to limit your exposure in the future if someone does gain access. If there is no email there to read then you lose no further privacy. All the account can be then used for is spam.

You've read what you should be doing for years now, if you choose not to follow best practices, then you accept the risk.

Genius...I will definitely take your recommendations to heart and put them into action. Okay so let me ask because I was searching Google and found Squid Proxies do you think something like that would be useful?

Jul 28, 2014
Simplistically - a proxy server is a server (a computer system or an application) that acts as an intermediary for requests from clients seeking resources from other servers, and what it ultimately does is generally provide anonymity to you. In layman's terms, you connect to it, then it makes the query, or fetches the webpage you are wanting to view FOR YOU. This means the webpage saw its IP address, and not yours. Now, subsequent to that, this does not mean you cannot get a virus or malware planted on your computer, it simply makes requests for you, it generally doesn't filter your info going in and out from your PC to a Server/Webpage. (Personal message me if you want more Proxy details, there are some that can keep you quite anonymous i.e. the one that hackers use to help remain hidden)

In your case, you may very well have Malware on your computer, which can actually do things such as observe what you type and send info back to someone who will use that. Or, you inadvertently accessed a Website whereby you entered your email address and perhaps used a password on that site that's the same as you use for the email account (believe me, a lot of people use the same password for many things, BIGTIME MISTAKE)

By rights, best rule of thumb, you have 2 email addresses, you use ONE for PERSONAL/BUSINESS, and your Second is used for when you visit websites that require an email address that is not important to you (i.e., wanting to get daily horoscopes sent to you, or something to that effect) This generally will shelter your REAL email address from getting into the wrong hands

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i got hacked/ jumped on ebay....years ago then they got my e mail...ebay cancelled them , and i had to change passwords etc..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The folks that hang out on ebay are not as tolerant and appreciative of your joie de vie as we are here in the DR chic. Stick with DR1 and enjoy the loving, supportive embrace of family.