Are there any hotels in Santo domingo where an 8 year old girl can beft for 3/4 hours

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The title says it all, we have to go to the capital next week where among other things I have to renew my Cedula and Residencia. Is there an hotel with a kids club where we can leave our 8 year old daughter for 3 to 4 hours?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
when you say WE, who you mean? really, as parents you want to leave your child alone for 3/4 hours. you should be ashamed and probably arrested (in the us anyway) too bad that here in the dr nothing will happen to you.as far as I am concerned, you are nothing but a piece of ****.

When I was in Kindergarten, probably 5 I walked to school in Toronto about 2 miles each way and still alive today to write about it. Luckily my parents were not arrested or I would have had to make my own meals as well.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Is there an hotel with a kids club where we can leave our 8 year old daughter for 3 to 4 hours?

when you say WE, who you mean? really, as parents you want to leave your child alone for 3/4 hours. you should be ashamed and probably arrested (in the us anyway) too bad that here in the dr nothing will happen to you.as far as I am concerned, you are nothing but a piece of ****.

Have trouble with reading comprehension ricky?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Reading is Good

Did you see this part of his post?

Is there an hotel with a kids club where we can leave our 8 year old daughter for 3 to 4 hours?

Sounds to me like granca is looking for someone to care for the child while he and his wife are taking care of their errands. IMO, you owe him an apology.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A bitof over reaction before you know the details.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com

Jeez, when i was a lad, i used to travel 3 hours to boarding school by train at the age of 8!
What is going on in this world if this is the response??

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
When I was in Kindergarten, probably 5 I walked to school in Toronto about 2 miles each way and still alive today to write about it. Luckily my parents were not arrested or I would have had to make my own meals as well.

My father walked to school 4 o'clock every morning with no shoes on, uphill, both ways, in five feet of snow and he was thankful.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
My father walked to school 4 o'clock every morning with no shoes on, uphill, both ways, in five feet of snow and he was thankful.

no way. Did he know my dad? Your dad should have asked my dad to borrow the baked potato, used to warm the hands and a handy lunch too.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I appreciate the point you asking people on DR1 in the hope that maybe you can rely on another members experience or even hook up with someone else in the same boat, but I think it would be a mistake to put so much confidence into our lovely members, just as much as I think it would be a mistake of any of our members to take you up in this instance.
I can't imagine you would go off the word of another and then confidently go through with it and so I think you must have someone coming with you to look over the child, you just want something for them to do to keep them occupied while you take care of business?
If you have a family member or close friend then drop them at the feria to spend a few hours horse riding. The lads there are good boys, and will look after them, but you still need a responsible figure you know well to go along, maybe 17+ year old., but even then I do not feel they are responsible enough alone.
I'd suggest to bring the ipad or something with a movie on it, waiting a few hours is not going to kill them. I also suggest no matter where you are in the world that you never take the word of others on anything when it comes to confidence on the care of your child. Even when my child is playing with other peoples kids I know, I make sure they are within my eye sight, that unfortunately is basic modern world parenting.

And besides everything else, you should know how strict courts are about child welfare. If anything was to happen, the judge would look to you for blame. You might think that they are not tough on welfare in DR, but when it comes to kids, these judges are hardcore, and could make life very unpleasant for you. Not that anything bad would happen, but they are always the famous last words before something bad does happen.

Take your child with you, plan ahead in future.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
seems to me they just want to leave their kid in a safe environment for a few hours while they take care of some bus. its not like they're abandoning the kid. when I was 10 yrs. old I took a bus to Boston and and then took a train to the Mass eye and ear infirmary by myself once a mo., so I don't think the guys question is out of line .

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's not out of line, but you don't drop your kids off like you might your pet the vets. You're away how incompetent Dominicans are at responsibility, how little they earn to drive motivation? Seems some are not as protective of their kids as others.

I think he asked just to see if anyone had a great idea that could reassure him. I doubt anyone in their right mind would actuall drop their child off somewhere they have not spent time in person getting to know more.

It's not out of line, just not well thought out.

If I said, 'yeh, just drop your kid at Agora Mall, they have two young girls there to play with the kids', would you automatically trust me, or them? If so, please don't have children.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
he want to know if there is a hotel that has that type of a service yes or no ,I imagine the up scale hotels would have ?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Calm down, does he need this info or you?

But besides correct me if I am wrong but are kids clubs not usually for guests in hotels, and also should the parents not usually be required to be on site and contactable at short notice should an issue arise? Just a thought!

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Wow some reactions here are really over the top. If you are staying in an upscale hotel we dont you ask if they know a trustworthy babysitter? Its just for a couple hours..

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
In an attempt to return to the OP's question, I know most of the hotels in the capital and can't think of one that has a kids' club. There are a lot of day-care nurseries, but I think they tend to cater more for the young children.

There is an inflatables indoor park in Sambil, it has bouncy castles and ball pits and things. I'm not sure if it would be too young for your 8 year old, but I have seen kids of that kind of age in there. It's open every day, on the first floor.

If you are going to renew the cedula, my advice is to turn up late just before they close (very fast service, cedula within 5 minutes). There is a waiting room but you're unlikely to have a big wait.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Wow some reactions here are really over the top.

I agree, it's easy to get carried away. But just for something to think of. A friend of mine working from offices in Santo Domingo, where the company had free child care. He left his child there every day from 3pm till 6pm. One day the child broke her arm in a door. In short. The mother (they were separated) was not pleased, they ended up going to court, the judge awarded custody back with the mother, the child in now back living in a dump, with a half arsed excuse for a mother. He as good as threw thousands of dollars down the drain in legal expenses, and only gets to see his child every other weekend for one night.

And with regards to your comment. I still think asking a hotel to recommend a babysitter and trusting them is pretty terrible parenting. Obviously people living the bubble.

Aug 21, 2007
I think the OP's question was an innocent one, perhaps naive. Most all-inclusives have what is called a Kid's Club. It is a place where kids go during the day for various planned activities while the parents are involved in other activities. It is a safe place.

I don't think SD has such an AI.

I agree with the poster who recommended taking a big bag of things to entertain the child. ....an iPad with a couple movies loaded on it and games....a book to read together....depending on the child's age, coloring book and crayons, homework from school, etc.

Much waiting is involved with the cedula/residency process. If both parents are there, one can leave for 5 - 10 minutes to walk around with the child. You can go buy a snack, leave to use the restroom, or just walk around the building to get some exercise.

The child will not suffer for having to accompany you. It will be okay. Good luck.

Lindsey